Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why the fuck is there a wrestling thread on this forum?

Started by Sydward Lartle, May 01, 2017, 11:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 02, 2017, 12:48:41 AM
people who were not educated to a very high standard.
I think Syd raises an important point here, people: it seems that people have lied about obtaining a degree just to qualify for posting on CaB. I think in future, Neil should actually contact said universities and verify not only the degree was obtained, but also the classification. Obviously any ex-polytechnics should be immediately disregarded. I would even go so far as to saying that it would be wise to subject all current posters to this same check, to ensure we only ever have Guardian-approved, red-brick educated types posting here. Then, perhaps, we'll reach a point where every thread will pass the appropriate intelligence level.

I'm sorry to go all serious in such a ludicrous thread as this, but fuck it. Sydward, I have intelligent adult friends who like wrestling. Those who have good degrees, who have high paying, jobs with a degree of responsibility. Those whose individual taste is formed from their own experiences and not just what the mainstream throws at them. They still like wrestling.
I also have Asperger's. And on the whole, my perspective on wrestling is the same as yours. It is literally the lowest form of entertainment in my view. I can't comprehend the level on which people enjoy it. It seems revoltingly childish and hideously tacky. When I'm already in a bad mood, seeing my friends talk about it can actually make me seethe with anger. I just want to shout at them asking when they're going to grow up.
But I also know I have Asperger's, and I know what that entails. I know people whose opinions are drastically different to mine can wind me up, I know my own taste can be incredibly stubborn. So I don't say anything, because I know it's my issue, and that ranting about it only makes things worse. You know this as well as I do, and you've shown this by mostly being open and responsible in Comedy Chat. Don't ruin it by starting threads like this, because you can do so much better, and you know you can do so much better. You're a valuable asset to the board when you're not making threads like this, and it would be a shame if this got in the way of that.

How's that for a new page?

Cuellar

John Darnielle likes wrestling. Can't be all bad.

It's not for me, though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 02, 2017, 12:28:43 AM
If you tolerate this your children a NASCAR thread will be next.

Put your energies into making your life better. You're wasting your life.

I think we probably all need some time away from the internet.

Norton Canes

So which sports would we say are not aimed at proles? Polo is the only surefire one I can think of.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: machotrouts on May 02, 2017, 02:30:05 AM
Wrestling ... made me question my sexuality as a child. How can I possibly be as gay as I think when these men are so disgusting to look at? It's as aesthetically disturbing to me as a big fat titwank. Grotesque.

Damn! Now I'm going to have re-evaluate my belief that wrestling is homoerotic. Why is everything so complicated?

pancreas

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 02, 2017, 12:16:13 PM
Damn! Now I'm going to have re-evaluate my belief that wrestling is homoerotic. Why is everything so complicated?

macho trouts is right. It makes a mockery of homoerotica. Top Gun is homoerotic, famously. This I would not deny.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 02, 2017, 12:48:41 AM
a fucking Guardian-approved comedy discussion site

Oof! Stick the knife in, whydontcha? You know the Graun's as popular as food poisoning on these boards, right?

Anyway, here's a thread which you and the Graun should approve of:

How WWF groomed us for Alex Jones and Donald Trump

Shit Good Nose

Excellent, another chance to post this inside of a week - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pquYAEfbBFM

Look, Sydward - I hate wrestling.  I think it's ridiculous.  But what's your beef[nb]or, rather, why's your beef[/nb] with having a wrestling thread that people who DO like wrestling can contribute to?  Other threads are available to you, y'know.

I mean CaB is filled with threads discussing HAVING A SHIT, in depth.  Or CaBbers fancying a dirty kebab.  How is a wrestling thread any worse?

Chill, man.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 02, 2017, 12:28:11 PM
what's your beef[1] with having a wrestling thread that people who DO like wrestling can contribute to? 

He's fucking mentally ill clearly. Anyone engaging with him is like Chief Wiggam going over to that ranting bum and going "Whose been stealing your thoughts?"

Johnny Yesno

You could do with stopping being an arse as well, though, checkoutgirl.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 02, 2017, 12:47:22 PM
You could do with stopping being an arse as well, though, checkoutgirl.

Aw but I don't wanna.

JoeyBananaduck

I thought we were more or less all mentally ill here.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TheWoodenSpoon on May 02, 2017, 12:48:14 PM
Because fuck you, Syd. That's why.

Why did he always face away from the camera?  What were all that about?  We're missing his trademark faceup[nb]face makeup[/nb].

TheWoodenSpoon

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 02, 2017, 01:53:22 PM
Why did he always face away from the camera?  What were all that about?  We're missing his trademark faceup[nb]face makeup[/nb].
It's all part of his mystique as a 'roided-up shouty sweaty fucker who'll clothesline your head off while howling absolute nonsense to make up for his utterly terrible in-ring skills.
GET A LOAD OF THIS.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: purlieu on May 02, 2017, 10:39:11 AM
I also have Asperger's. And on the whole, my perspective on wrestling is the same as yours. It is literally the lowest form of entertainment in my view. I can't comprehend the level on which people enjoy it. It seems revoltingly childish and hideously tacky. When I'm already in a bad mood, seeing my friends talk about it can actually make me seethe with anger. I just want to shout at them asking when they're going to grow up.
But I also know I have Asperger's, and I know what that entails. I know people whose opinions are drastically different to mine can wind me up, I know my own taste can be incredibly stubborn. So I don't say anything, because I know it's my issue, and that ranting about it only makes things worse. You know this as well as I do, and you've shown this by mostly being open and responsible in Comedy Chat. Don't ruin it by starting threads like this, because you can do so much better, and you know you can do so much better. You're a valuable asset to the board when you're not making threads like this, and it would be a shame if this got in the way of that.

This is what I've been waiting for. THIS.

Not fucking reprehensible cock-goblins trying to goad me into another meltdown.

Why can't more of the board be like THIS?

TheWoodenSpoon

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 02, 2017, 02:34:11 PM
Not fucking reprehensible cock-goblins trying to goad me into another meltdown
Well maybe if you didn't waltz on in and create a thread needlessly belittling people without using your fucking loaf first...

machotrouts

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 02, 2017, 12:16:13 PM

It does it for some gays. A recurring partner of mine (not gay, he likes the odd fanny and tit too) had his sexuality shaped in childhood by watching "kiss my ass" matches. I don't want to search that too thoroughly but apparently that's a thing.

I let him, if he must, but I draw the line at rimming. I'm certain they don't do that in wrestling. Not on Sky One anyway.

Quote from: TheWoodenSpoon on May 02, 2017, 02:48:51 PM
Well maybe if you didn't waltz on in and create a thread needlessly belittling people without using your fucking loaf first...

Though it's quite okay if you do use your loaf first, of course.

Sydward Lartle

Actually, I'd be genuinely interested to know if there actually was a wrestler during the eighties who used to whip his opponents with a metal chain, or if that was just an urban myth these two durr-brains at my middle school seized upon. Don't go into any great detail, though, just tell me the bare facts.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 02, 2017, 02:34:11 PM
Why can't more of the board be like THIS?

Because we're here to have a laugh and chat and that. Not babysit people with Aspergers.

Can you imagine if everyone on CaB had Aspergers and reacted to difference as violently and horribly as you? It would be terrible. Just a mass of 50 people at any one time slagging each other off and being mean and nasty. It would be completely unreadable.

Sydward Lartle

I don't need 'babysitting' and it is aggressively patronising of you to suggest such a thing. I merely asked why, given that this is obviously a forum largely populated by reasonable, intelligent people[nb]Save for the odd dickhead who thinks it's fair game to call people paedophiles simply because they don't agree with him about a vastly overrated student fad[/nb] has a thread about bloody wrestling, for fuck's sake. That's all. No need to bite my head off.

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on May 02, 2017, 03:13:50 PM
Actually, I'd be genuinely interested to know if there actually was a wrestler during the eighties who used to whip his opponents with a metal chain, or if that was just an urban myth these two durr-brains at my middle school seized upon. Don't go into any great detail, though, just tell me the bare facts.

There were dog collar matches where chains were used as a weapon. They tended to be real chains too, and people really did get their heads cut open. The most famous one was the match with Roddy Piper and Greg Valentine, in.... I want to say '83? I can't be bothered to look it up. They did all sorts of dangerous shit in the old days.

Sydward Lartle

Roddy Piper, the 'star' of Hell Comes to Frogtown and They Live? Different bloke?

Sydward Lartle

Blimey.

Hell Comes to Frogtown really was shit, by the way. They Live was an entertaining bit of fluff.

purlieu

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 02, 2017, 03:19:09 PM
Because we're here to have a laugh and chat and that. Not babysit people with Aspergers.
These things would probably be diffused quicker if people wrote thoughtful responses, mind you.

That's not an accusation, by the way, merely an observation.

TheWoodenSpoon

pancreas

I'm a wrestling fan and, on the whole, the vast majority of wrestling fans are dribbling fucking idiots.  There's a reason why advertisers don't generally buy adverts during wrestling TV shows - studies show that the audience is thick and therefore have a shitty job and don't have any disposable income to spend.  Fans at live wrestling events are often an absolute nightmare and I do sometimes wonder why I watch it.

So, I can understand why yer Sydward here thinks about wrestling the way that he does.  Hell, I think the same about football.  I don't go into football threads and slag off everyone who likes it though - it's not like I'll change anyone's mind and it's a but antagonistic and weird and, well, just a bit pointless really.