Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:03:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New LCD Soundsystem stuff

Started by Serge, May 04, 2017, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

The best LCD songs take a little effort. Beat Connection does nothing for ages but when that moment (you what I'm talking about) kicks in you just know.

That said. I can change is a masterpiece.

New page. I was there.

hewantstolurkatad

North American Scum is one of the few of their songs where I really just can't get past the similarities to the song it's taking from.

Dr Syntax Head

It really is a great year. New LCD. New Soulwax. New !!!. I'm a happy frog right now.

momatt

Indeed.  The new Soulwax album is bloody fantastic.  The recording process sounds particularly insane, but above all it's a great sounding album.

Repeater

jobotic

I get LCD Soundsystem and Calvin Harris mixed up, no idea why. They're not even the same sort of thing are they?

Anyway I fucking hate Calvin Harris so I unfairly don't like them either.

Thanks for listening.

Pdine

New album 'American Dream' is due out September 1st, and they're playing Alexandra Palace in September. Tickets went on sale at 9am and first night is already sold out, with second night now added.

buttgammon

Missed my chance in Manchester already and I couldn't really make any of the other UK shows, but I'm going to NYC in December and am going to try to see them in Brooklyn...

momatt

Quote from: Pdine on June 21, 2017, 12:50:33 PM
Tickets went on sale at 9am and first night is already sold out, with second night now added.

Thanks for the heads up.  £50 each though?
I'm inclined to not bother on principle alone, but they are bloody great live.

momatt

Well yes.
Any clues on support acts?  If it's Liquid Liquid again £50 is a bargain!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Pdine on June 21, 2017, 01:46:59 PM
https://twitter.com/lcdsoundsystem/status/35507860632895488

Isn't he referring to the touts? I'm sure the band have a say in how much tickets for their shows cost.

momatt

Yes I think so.  It's also a tweet from 2011 (if you hadn't already noticed).

A while ago Radiohead denied having any control over their quite high ticket prices.  But that can't be right, can it?
Putting on a gig by a really famous band can't cost that much more than a less popular one?  Unless they're going ape-shit with pyrotechnics, string sections and a gospel choir.

buttgammon

Yeah, I'm going to see them in Brooklyn in December - that almost certainly makes me a cunt, but an exceptionally happy one.

I passed up the chance to go and see them in Manchester about ten years ago because nobody would go with me and I couldn't get tickets for Manchester this time either so I'm very happy the stars have aligned this way. It's not like I'm in New York very often (or ever), so I'm massively lucky.

Pdine

Is anyone here going to the second London night? I'm going to the first but am toying with the idea of going to both.

I'm going to the second london night if anyone wants to meet up. Looking forward to the album.

Serge

Another new track: Tonite

Let's be honest, I already know what my album of the year is this year.

Dr Syntax Head

Tonite is song of 2017 for me. Bloody amazing and just what I expected from the Murph

buttgammon

Just when I didn't think I could look forward to the album and finally seeing them live any more. This new track is amazing, I'm just playing it on repeat.

I'm really, really excited for the album now. We already have: a Bowie/Eno-ish blaze of glory, a gloomy little song about sexual ennui and this electro monster. It should be well worth the wait.

Dr Syntax Head

If I had a fraction of the talent that J Murphy has I wouldn't be wasting my time posting on a comedy forum

non capisco

Quote from: Serge on August 16, 2017, 06:41:09 PM
Another new track: Tonite

Let's be honest, I already know what my album of the year is this year.

Bloody hell, that's good.

buttgammon

I'm still listening to it*! I briefly thought "this could be an actual hit" and then realised the best thing about it - the fact that it's such an anti-hit. It has all the ingredients but it's been pieced together in a different (i.e. better) order.

*A bit deceptive as I've had about nine hours sleep since last night but still...

Serge

Another message from James on their FB page:

Quotehey there. so it's time for some clarifications, etc. it'll be a somewhat long email, for which i (james) apologize in advance. i'll try my best to make it all make sense--you know, be clear and concise, and all that.

the record is almost out--september 1--and there are some funny things to mention before then:

1. yes, that's the cover.

2. if you bought a ticket to any of the upcoming (non-festival) US tour dates, you should have received an email from someone (label? ticket company?) which maybe looked like spam. i would have assumed it was spam. essentially, everyone who bought tickets for these upcoming shows is entitled to a CD in the mail. like, no charge. no shipping. just free/included with your ticket. you don't HAVE to take the CD, but it's yours if you want it. i'm pretty sure it will arrive at yours on sept 1. and you can take your CD and pretend it's 1995. (joking aside, it's a nice looking CD. and YES with the same artwork). you can also, in lieu of the aforementioned CD, pay a surcharge and get the vinyl. i think it's like $8 to $10 off the vinyl or something. that should also get to you on september 1* (you know, provided you redeem your freebee in time, or don't live on a ship). there will apparently be 2 more "reminder emails" about it, so if you want the CD (or the vinyl) don't just delete it. i mean, get 'em all and use the cd covers to keep unstable tables level. put them in your car "just in case". give them as a gift to someone who A. hates lcd, or B. doesn't have a CD player. i could go on. there are uses.
(*note: i think you can order this AFTER september 1 as well, but why not just, like, do it now? so you can forget about it?)

3. you can pre-order the record (CD, vinyl or cassette... yes, cassette... and you can pretend it's 1985...) from DFA in the link below. there are a bunch of packages that jon at DFA came up with (i think? go jon!). they include tote bags and things of that nature. these things should ALSO be to you by september 1. if it's not too many people for the tiny DFA office to handle.

4. as you may have seen, we made a video for the song "tonite" while we were in melbourne, and now it's on the internet. this means that it's a "single", though i kind of beg to differ because i'm the kind of person who thinks of a single as a physical thing, like a 7". regardless, it's a video. the only video so far because we haven't had the time or headspace to make any others (though i hope we will! that was more fun than usual.)

5. i'd like to thank everyone who's come to see us (and who is coming). this past bit of time has been great for us, and it's really brought the point home of how good the audiences we play to are. we've had amazing shows, and we're not daft enough to think it's all us. people have been very generous to thrown down with us, and let go, and get weird, and it's made us play better, and get slightly drunker afterwards (well, some of us... well, me.) so thank you very much. we're pretty into the idea that everyone will be able to hear the new record soon. some of you may hate it, but i'm very proud of it. it's the best i've felt about an LCD LP ever. which could totally spell disaster. anyway, we look forward to playing again soon after this short break in which i just fixed a laundry machine and a water filter, and organized a kitchen. (get me out of here)

hearts,
james

There's a good interview with him in the new Uncut magazine, where he says that in addition to the ten songs on the new album, he has about eighteen others in various states of readiness, including one 14-minute track which was intended to be the final track on the album, but it would have made it too long, so it may get released as a 12" on its own at some point. There's also some nice stuff about David Bowie, and how they became friendly, and how he was blown away by Bowie picking up on how all of the previous LCD albums have nine tracks each, and how disappointed he would be that the new one has ten!

Also, I picked up a copy of 'Meet Me In The Bathroom', a new book by Lizzy Goodman covering the New York scene from 2001-2011, purely because it's got stuff in about LCD and DFA. I couldn't care less for most of the acts it's about (Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV On The Radio, etc), but I still hope it'll be worth ploughing through (it's nearly 600 pages long) for the bits I am interested in! Thought it might be of interest to a few people on here anyway....

buttgammon

Seriously, is that man's caps lock key broken or is he actually Mook? I can't help but notice even the new song titles are in lowercase.

Also, the cover is hideous.

I don't actually care about either of these things; strutting around the airport to 'Call the Police' and 'Tonite' with a massive grin was far more important.

Serge

Quote from: buttgammon on August 19, 2017, 11:33:38 AM
Seriously, is that man's caps lock key broken or is he actually Mook?

Reports are that one of the unreleased tracks is called 'i bladdy love corky'.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Serge on August 19, 2017, 11:04:25 AM

I couldn't care less for most of the acts it's about (Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV On The Radio, etc), but I still hope it'll be worth ploughing through (it's nearly 600 pages long) for the bits I am interested in! Thought it might be of interest to a few people on here anyway....

TV On The Radio are a cut above. If you like DFA and all that punk funk stuff you'd dig TV I reckon

I do need to get that book though

Repeater

Load of shite aside from the music

Serge

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on August 19, 2017, 04:21:51 PMTV On The Radio are a cut above. If you like DFA and all that punk funk stuff you'd dig TV I reckon

I have heard them, and I never found them that interesting, to be honest. There seemed to be an endless parade of acts in the mid-to-late 2000s that people would rave about and I couldn't get into at all, and they were one of them.

buttgammon

Just clicked a random Wikipedia reference into an ancient interview with James Murphy and found this:

QuoteLater eating food in a nearby French restaurant, a much more relaxed Murphy shows himself to be a Anglophile in matters of TV as well as music, reeling off reams of Chris Morris quotes from The Day Today and Brass Eye much to the English crew's amusement and much to his band's bafflement.

Just when you don't think you can love this bloke any more. He probably posts on here and everything.

brat-sampson

Album's leaked........

I heard it's pretty good.