Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:13:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New LCD Soundsystem stuff

Started by Serge, May 04, 2017, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Quote from: brat-sampson on August 30, 2017, 05:32:42 PM
Album's leaked........

I heard it's pretty good.

It's only two days until it's out, so I suppose they managed to keep it under wraps for longer than most....! A friend of mine (who owns a record shop) has been posting about playing a copy on Facebook already. I suppose if I'd still been working at Rough Trade, we would have got a promo to play in the shop ahead of time, so would have heard it by now, but other than the three officially released tracks, am looking forward to this Friday with glee.

Dr Syntax Head

Serge

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on that! I wonder if this is the 14 minute track that Murphy talked about as being his original choice to end the album with? Interesting that it's an instrumental. Pitchfork have a link to a download.

Album out tomorrow!

Serge

As if in answer to my question in the previous post, James Murphy has put up another of his all-lower-case posts about 'Pulse':

Quotehi everybody. the record comes out tomorrow (well, tonight at midnight wherever you are) and last night at midnight we shared an extra track for the LP called pulse (v.1). it's not precisely part of the record, but it's an addendum (or maybe a codicil?) meant to go after the last track, black screen.

there are a few reasons for this: one, pulse wouldn't fit on the vinyl, so i didn't include it there (i think we'll put together a 12" with the other versions of pulse when there's a moment, but that won't be quick... tour and all.) and two, i really, really like this track.

this track began as a weird and fun synth collaboration between the amazing gavin russom and i on some very weird machines, and wound up developing into something else entirely, with pat and al and nancy, and korey playing congas. there was even more development which isn't included in this version, but that's for future iterations. tyler was in berlin, unfortunately. but there will be other versions.

it's a mix that we did a long time ago after the first session of the track, and it's grown on me as a track to listen to after the LP. it's super wonky, and i really didn't want to square the human-ness off of it, but just let it be what it is. so you don't have to tell me that it sounds super fucked up. i know.

anyway, we figured the best thing to do was just give it away for free. sure, you can still get it on various platforms, and it'll be on the streaming service things, but you can also just go to the lcd homepage and get it for free.

and there you have it.

-james

When I put it on the Ipod, I might just label it so that this track is at the end of the album......

Dr Syntax Head

I cannot wait! Straight to HMV first thing (no other/better music shops in this crap town)

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Serge on August 31, 2017, 09:33:33 PM

When I put it on the Ipod, I might just label it so that this track is at the end of the album......

Me too.

And thanks for that I hadn't seen it.

Serge

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on August 31, 2017, 09:34:15 PM
I cannot wait! Straight to HMV first thing (no other/better music shops in this crap town)

Ha! Same here. I do miss living somewhere with decent record shops. I'm looking forward to the Nottingham meet next month as it'll give me an excuse to hit the record shops beforehand.

buttgammon

My favourite moment so far: realising almost immediately that Change your Mind is basically No One Receiving by Brian Eno. I've been listening to that track a lot recently and took it as yet another sign that James Murphy is basically a significantly more talented version of myself.

The one problem I have is I think the best three tracks are the ones that were released previously, but that's not to say this isn't great, my first impressions are very, very positive, but part of me wishes Tonite was a nice surprise on the album as opposed to a nice surprise a few weeks ago. Aside from those and Change your Mind, the other standouts are Oh Baby (I was nearly blubbing within the first minute before the vocals had even kicked in) and Other Voices, which I think is an elaborate way of calling Trump and his supporters big babies, "with soft feet and everything". Also Black Screen, which is evidently about David Bowie and Murphy's minor involvement in Blackstar.

There's an entertaining interview with Murphy in The Guardian too, in which he talks a bit about Blackstar and explains that he only drinks organic wine after years of the touring lifestyle left him with gout.

Kane Jones

Listening to the album now. It's fucking brilliant.

Serge

Quote from: buttgammon on September 01, 2017, 09:10:12 AM
My favourite moment so far: realising almost immediately that Change your Mind is basically No One Receiving by Brian Eno. I've been listening to that track a lot recently and took it as yet another sign that James Murphy is basically a significantly more talented version of myself.

Interesting, I can see that, but it's also very reminiscent of Talking Heads....but then, there was a lot of crossover between Eno & talking Heads in the late '70s, I suppose. Having said that, it's not as overtly Talking Heads as 'Other Voices', which could have dropped straight off 'Remain In Light'! Halfway through my second listen now, this was definitely worth waiting seven years for!

buttgammon

Quote from: Serge on September 01, 2017, 11:27:44 AM
Interesting, I can see that, but it's also very reminiscent of Talking Heads....but then, there was a lot of crossover between Eno & talking Heads in the late '70s, I suppose. Having said that, it's not as overtly Talking Heads as 'Other Voices', which could have dropped straight off 'Remain In Light'! Halfway through my second listen now, this was definitely worth waiting seven years for!

There's definitely something of Born Under Punches about it too. I just played it again and realised it sounds like the two spliced together - and I'm a great fan of both songs so that works very well for me.

How Do You Sleep? is reminding me of early New Order too. I almost feel bad for picking apart all of the influences on the album but at the same time, that's part of the fun with LCD Soundsystem.

Serge

Definitely! Although it's always annoying when you vaguely recognise a reference but can't quite remember where it's from.

MoonDust

Just bought it. Listening now! Only recently gotten into this band. I saw them live back in 2007 at a festival but didn't think much of them at the time. I went because most of my friends I was wanted to see them.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Squink on September 01, 2017, 10:08:32 AM
Enjoyable article about how James Murphy is Huey Lewis:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/james-murphy-is-our-huey-lewis/2017/08/31/9d5bf9a8-8e47-11e7-84c0-02cc069f2c37_story.html?utm_term=.6b53d26068bb

Hah! That makes sense. As a musician in his 40s I find the likes of Murphy extremely heartening in that they prove that age has no bearing on talent.

Serge

'How Do You Sleep?' is just fucking....WOW.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Serge on September 01, 2017, 10:05:21 PM
'How Do You Sleep?' is just fucking....WOW.

Great track, love it even if before the synth-bassline kicks in it sounds like U2.

Serge

Well, I love U2, so that's not a problem for me, especially as Murphy sounds more and more like Bono on some tracks than ever.

popcorn

Enjoying this, but can't help feel how much I want a Chris Morris parody version.

Repeater

How Do You Sleep? is bloody awesome.

mothman

My kids gave me the CD for my birthday and I finally was able to listen to it yesterday. First impression: love it. Need many more listens, and probably not the way I was hearing it yesterday (in the car, trying to get somewhere while the M5 was closed, and the A38 was a car park, so I was hurtling down single-track back lanes and having a great time).

... In fact, now I think of it, LCD have always been driving music for me. I first got into them 10 years ago with Sound Of Silver playing in the car, driving back and forth to hospital while my wife was in there. And later on a skiing holiday in the Dolomites, we had it on repeat the whole time...

Serge

It's hard to imagine Rod Liddle listening to LCD Soundsystem....

Wire Magazine gave it a proper kicking, inevitably.

momatt

Quote from: Serge on September 21, 2017, 10:39:00 AM
It's hard to imagine Rod Liddle listening to LCD Soundsystem....

With food all down his front.
A kumquat near his foot...

Pdine

Headlining first night of All Points East in Victoria Park May next year:

https://www.allpointseastfestival.com/festival

buttgammon

They're also playing at Malahide Castle in Dublin next June.