Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:15:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who's your favourite rapper?

Started by Here Comes Mongo, May 08, 2017, 09:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here Comes Mongo

For me it's Big L, I really enjoy the dark humour in his lyrics - apparently he had an odd sense of humour, and when he was told that his lyrics were offensive he made sure that his next track was even more so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUawT_tl7sg Despite all that he was by all accounts a nice guy.

I also really like this freestyle (incidentally, does anyone know if the sample is from Death Wish by Herbie Hancock?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9UzhIgAh6U

So who's favourite hip-hop MC?

hummingofevil

For me it's Big L. Seriously. I absolutely agree. After that Kool Keith but definitely Big L. All Black is his finest as far as I am concerned.

Verse 3. Apologies for the rather hateful lyrics but the delivery is amazing.

"Yo ever since I was young, I ripped mics and I killed beats
And I'm known to milk freaks and hit em on silk sheets
No dame can give me a bad name, I got mad fame
I'm quick to put a slug in a fag brain
I be placin snitches inside lakes and ditches
And if I catch AIDS, then I'mma start rapin bitches
I'm all about makin papes kid
I killed my mother with a shovel just like Norman Bates did
My old man in the past, stuck me up without a mask
Then his ass cold dashed with my cash fast
Fifty G's is what the creep stole; so the next day
Knocked on his door and shot his granny through the peephole"

Mr Banlon

hummingofevil

As for humour I agree. I've always put him in stuff I like with horror films and Sadowitz. But then again I'm white and from North Wales so maybe I'm too forgiving (or the exact intended target audience???)

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 08, 2017, 09:52:17 PM
As for humour I agree. I've always put him in stuff I like with horror films and Sadowitz. But then again I'm white and from North Wales so maybe I'm too forgiving (or the exact intended target audience???)

The comparison with Sadowitz is possibly valid, but as far as I'm aware I don't think he made any racial remarks.

Funcrusher

In terms of sheer commanding presence on the mic, Rakim. For volume of lyrical content, Chuck D.

DrGreggles

It's got to be Paul Chuckle's mate Chuck D for me too.

jobotic

Agree about Big L, and that track.

For me though Q-Tip and Phife at their best together can't be beat.

checkoutgirl

Overall probably Nas. Some of his stuff is amazing. Been getting into a bit of Dr. Octagon lately too.

up_the_hampipe

Aye, probably Nas. I've been an Eminem stan since I was way too young, so I'd be lying if I didn't include him in the list. I know that doesn't get much respect among people who pretend to know more about hip-hop.

I like Ghostface Killah too. And Ice Cube when he's not being overly ignorant.

manticore

Jalal Mansur Nuriddin a.k.a. Alafia Pudim, Umar Bin Hassan, and Abiodun Oyewole.

non capisco

Well a wick wick wack and a wack wack wee
Who's my favourite rapper? It is me!
Done a rap in the shed, done a rap on the roof
I done a rap at your Dad and it made him a poof
My rhymes are Jaws, you're Jaws: The Revenge
Where are we representing?......PENGE!
(bomb sound effect)
Fatty and Skinny were making pastry
Fatty blew off and made it TASTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
(mic drop)
Off mic but you can still just about hear it: Doin' RAPS, y'all!!!!!!!!!

"Flogging a dead horse there, capisco, mate." :- ed.

darby o chill

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on May 08, 2017, 09:39:51 PM
I also really like this freestyle (incidentally, does anyone know if the sample is from Death Wish by Herbie Hancock?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9UzhIgAh6U

He's freestyling over Diamond D 'You cant front' instrumental, yeah strings/piano from Death Wish OST.

QuoteSo who's favourite hip-hop MC?
Honestly like every emcee mentioned so far. But if it came to the crunch Melle Mel from U.S. & Bionic from U.K.

marquis_de_sad

Andre 3000. Has a similar problem to Eminem that people are less inclined to take him seriously because of how exposed he is. Also, hardly ever raps these days. But he's phenomenal.

I also like his bete noire Kool Keith's lyrics, but Keith can't touch Dre's flow.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: darby o chill on May 09, 2017, 12:32:46 AM
He's freestyling over Diamond D 'You cant front' instrumental, yeah strings/piano from Death Wish OST.

Thanks! Didn't know the track you mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67a3F1X2PJg Pretty good, but think I prefer the Big L version. I thought I recognised the sample - I think it's from the part of the film where Jeff Goldblum and his 'droogs' are introduced.  Pretty sinister, which suits the mood of the music.

Bazooka

Aesop Rock, for the sheer fact he has the best vocabulary of any rapper in history.

https://pudding.cool/2017/02/vocabulary/

The Masked Unit

Black_Bart

Schoolly D. Signifyin Rapper. Took Page years to realise he'd been ripped off.

phantom_power

For me it would have to be MC Skat Kat from Paula Abdul's Opposite's Attract. His output was limited but perfect.

Failing that it is a toss-up between Rakim, Chuck D and Paul Barman (for the chuckles) and

The Masked Unit

At his best, probably Ice Cube. Also QTip, Chuck D, Common.

Brundle-Fly

I'm no expert, but I've always liked Busta Rhymes because of his strangulated staccato delivery and imaginative sample sources. Busdriver coming a close second.

Sneeze

MF DOOM has to be my number one, If I could nominate all members of Wu Tang I would. Right now I probably listen to Freddie Gibbs/ ScHoolboy Q/ Kendrick Lamar the most.

Swoz_MK

My Favourite? Raekwon
But I think Rakim is the best.

SpiderChrist

Golden E. Pump

Q-Tip and Ghostface Killah have amazing timbres to their flows and both have very interesting lyrics so one of those for me.

ODB was a riot too.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sneeze on May 09, 2017, 11:49:55 AM
MF DOOM has to be my number one, If I could nominate all members of Wu Tang I would. Right now I probably listen to Freddie Gibbs/ ScHoolboy Q/ Kendrick Lamar the most.

I second and third MF Doom.