Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Wake's Licencing Nightmare

Started by Rev, May 16, 2017, 03:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev

As of today, the slightly disappointing but sort of decent game Alan Wake can no longer be sold, and has disappeared from Steam and other online stores.  They had a little blow-out sale ahead of time, but frankly if you were interested you'd have had it by now anyway.

The game features a small number of licensed music tracks from the likes of Bowie and Nick Cave.  The studio that made the game was owned by Microsoft at the time but has since been cut loose, and as a result - as far as I can gather - some of the music was licensed to Microsoft itself rather than the studio, so they give no shits about renewing the rights at this point.  This kind of situation also buggered Dirt 3, which is why Humble were briefly giving it away for free a couple of months ago before it was also 'disappeared'.

I understand the issues involved, but it does seem a bit 'all or nothing' when it comes to rights issues with games, like there's never any work put in to finding a reasonable solution to keeping the thing available.  I mean, even Still Game got that awful replacement theme tune.

madhair60

An absolutely awesome game. Fun as fuck from beginning to end. Did both DLCs and American Nightmare. Also fabulous.

Lost Oliver

Gah. This was on my admittedly short list of games to play, along with Stanley Parable. What a massive shame, sounded like a classic.

Obel

Great first hour but man what a repetitive game this was. I ploughed through until the end but was so relieved when it was done. Bit of a letdown all told.

Ignatius_S

Remedy are looking to relicense the music at some point - https://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/alan-wake/320271-alan-wake-sunset-sale-13-15-5-2017 but we shall see.

One thing I read said that the company said it wasn't that straight forward to change the music and they can't devote the resources to that.