Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

20th Century Women

Started by zomgmouse, May 16, 2017, 04:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Just saw this, really wonderful. Gives a deep sense of the fleetingness of our lives and also of the moments that make it up, great characters, dialogue, the music was curated magnificently to give a meaningful sense of time. Like Beginners, Mills' previous/first film, which I also loved, this is the kind of film that looks twee as shit but is actually quite emotionally complex and beautiful. I was thoroughly and utterly taken by this film.

Bazooka

That's a bloke on the left.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Bazooka on May 16, 2017, 09:39:10 AM
That's a bloke on the left.
And also on the right and also writing and directing the film.
To be serious though it kind of is a bit marring that a film called "20th Century Women", and which boasts an array of fully-formed female characters as well an exploration of their lives, still does so purely as a vehicle for a coming-of-age of a teenage boy, no matter how many feminist books they get him to read.

BlodwynPig

I hate these sort of films. Like film version of coffee table books about bamboo gazebos.

phantom_power

Mike Mills also directed Thumbsucker, which I think got good review but I haven't seen it. Nice soundtrack though

zomgmouse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 16, 2017, 10:01:12 AM
I hate these sort of films. Like film version of coffee table books about bamboo gazebos.
As I said above, this is only what it looks like. It's not like that at all.

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2017, 10:07:50 AM
Mike Mills also directed Thumbsucker, which I think got good review but I haven't seen it. Nice soundtrack though
Oh weird, for some reason I thought Beginners was his debut.

hewantstolurkatad

I liked this, although I think the combo of Mills and Bening could've made a much much better film about a very similar character. A very fairly progressive woman of the 50s who's unable to not feel thoroughly lost in 70s society is pretty fertile ground, especially for an actor as good as Bening.

Mike Mills has yet to top his debut, Paperboys http://www.totalshortfilms.com/ver/pelicula/289