Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Little Mermaid is 43, and other moments of lucid decrepitude.

Started by Paul Calf, May 16, 2017, 08:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

44! She's 44 now! How old is she?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
There is an idea of Patrick Bateman
2 (50%)
Baby baby baby ooh!
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Paul Calf

Ariel - the lead character of Disney's The Little Mermaid, 16 at the time of the film when released in 1990 - would be 43 years old this year and the release of the film was closer to the date of the moon landings than it is to now. This is a classic trope trotted out by children of the 1980s and 1990s, but today I discovered that France's new president Emmanuel Macron was born the same year as my younger sister.

What terrifying flash-revelations of the distance you've travelled around this mortal coil have you seen recently?

Replies From View

Marge and Homer Simpson are now younger than me instead of being my parents' generation.

Beagle 2

We were reminiscing about 1995 UK Eurovision entry Love City Groove the other day, and realised that, to our son, that was the equivalent of a song released in 1959 to us. And we did feel like farty old cobwebs.

biggytitbo

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band was released closer to WW1 than it was to today.

Glebe

I hear she's married with five kids but still manages to maintain something of a hipster lifestyle.

madhair60

I'm so old that I remember the original Jurassic Park, which featured real dinosaurs unlike the CGI terrible lizards that packed the punters into Jurassic World.

madhair60

Bulletproof Monk was released fifteen years ago. Feel old?

MuteBanana

Tom Cruisers Mission Impossible is 21 years old. Theres another film coming out next year. Is this the longest running movie franchise starring the same lead actor?

Kane Jones

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 16, 2017, 12:14:03 PM
Tom Cruisers Mission Impossible is 21 years old. Theres another film coming out next year. Is this the longest running movie franchise starring the same lead actor?

New Indiana Jones movie starring Harrison Ford is due in 2019. Ford will have been playing Indy for 38 years.

Bruce Willis played John McClane in all 5 Die Hard films from 1988 to 2013. that's 25 years.

Icehaven

I have at least 10 instances of this a day, not least because it still seems absolutely ridiculous to me that it's twenty years since 1997 (although I mostly have to blame my own slightly arrested development for this.) Films seem to be a particularly bad culprit, you see something's on, think it must be 5 or 6 years old then look it up and realise nope, more like 15.
My cousin posted a thing on fb a few weeks back about there now being the same amount of time between 1990 and now, as between 1990 and 1963. 

Icehaven

Quote from: Replies From View on May 16, 2017, 08:21:31 AM
Marge and Homer Simpson are now younger than me instead of being my parents' generation.

Oh don't get me started on the time I saw the episode in which Marge and Homer apparently first met at a grunge gig. Now that was a headfuck.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on May 16, 2017, 12:37:54 PM
I have at least 10 instances of this a day, not least because it still seems absolutely ridiculous to me that it's twenty years since 1997 (although I mostly have to blame my own slightly arrested development for this.) Films seem to be a particularly bad culprit, you see something's on, think it must be 5 or 6 years old then look it up and realise nope, more like 15.
My cousin posted a thing on fb a few weeks back about there now being the same amount of time between 1990 and now, as between 1990 and 1963.

Replies From View

The John Adams opera Doctor Atomic is nearly 12 years old.

Paul Calf

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 16, 2017, 12:14:03 PM

Well, he was replaced by Brian if you remember.

Replies From View

Thomas wasn't even born when Peter Cook and Chris Morris recorded 'Why Bother?'.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Replies From View on May 16, 2017, 01:12:04 PM
Thomas wasn't even born when Peter Cook and Chris Morris recorded 'Why Bother?'.

Not quite true, Thomas would've been about 10 months old. Haha, that is such a shit age!

Replies From View

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 16, 2017, 01:13:54 PM
Not quite true, Thomas would've been about 10 months old. Haha, that is such a shit age!

10 months old, fuck's sake.  That makes him 10 months old now, as far as I'm concerned.

Brundle-Fly

This is what the cherubic-faced ginger head lad who fell off the roof of the Queen Vic in EastEnders seven years ago looks like now. He looks better actually.

Custard

^The best bit about that live episode was his fingers still twitching as he lay on the ground, and Max Branning shoving his fingers into his mouth to make himself sick

Amazing night

Serge

The gap between David Bowie releasing 'Low' and Nirvana releasing 'Nevermind' is 14 years. The gap between 'Nevermind' and now is 26 years.

Mr. Etiquette

The Star Wars 'Tipping Point':

The gap between the release of Return of the Jedi (1983) and The Phantom Menace (1999) is 2 years shorter than the time between The Phantom Menace and now (18 years).
Next year, Attack of the Clones (2002) will be as old now as Jedi was when Phantom was released.

Makes you think.

zomgmouse

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 16, 2017, 08:16:31 AM
What terrifying flash-revelations of the distance you've travelled around this mortal coil have you seen recently?

At 38 I'm the same age as Homer Simpson only Homer won't age past that number so next year I'll be older than Homer Simpson. And Homer is proper bald. So in a way I should be bald.

I'm the same fucking age as Homer Simpson. When I truly consider this it is frightening because in my head I'm still a kid, I certainly act like one.

The Matrix came out 18 years ago. What's going on?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 16, 2017, 01:13:54 PM

Ha ha. What a twat. He's useless that Thomas fella.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was 28 years ago. Fuck me.

MoonDust

The Hubble Space telescope was launched closer to the year when humans first landed on the moon than today. And in two years' time its launch would be the midpoint between the first ever human to go into space and now.

MoonDust

Quote from: Replies From View on May 16, 2017, 08:21:31 AM

If the Simpsons got older by each year, Bart would be 38 this year.

MoonDust

Ever since I reached older than 22 it's always made me realise the fast passage of time whenever I remember 9/11 was closer to my birth than now. Currently it's on;

Years between my birth and 9/11 = 11
Years between 9/11 and now = 16

Probably more mad for me because I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth