Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Night Out recording

Started by TheMonk, May 18, 2017, 12:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

79 views and no replies to this?  Wow.

Unfortunately I'm not available for those dates, but regardless - colour me head over heels joyful with this news. 

Interesting the Beeb are using the Big Night Out moniker instead of their own Smell of, though.

What chance Talc and Turnips I wonder?

Assume they'll actually be shown on a BBC channel at some point...

Small Man Big Horse

It says it's for BBC2, and I'd love to attend but sadly can't. I imagine it'll be a huge amount of fun though, and hope others here do manage to get tickets.

SteveDave

I have applied. Their warm up/try out things show at the Leicester Square Theatre was 100 times funnier and 8 times cheaper than their big old tour show. I hope for a similar dividend from this.

Billy

Feel a bit of a fraud applying for this as I didn't actually watch Big Night Out until circa 2005-6, although I've been a fan of R&M since the first series of Shooting Stars as a nipper.

I have a serious romantic attachment to the "Neighties" (c. 1988-1992) in general - the telly, the fashions, the music my god the music - so this would be a bit of a dream come true for me. But if not then at least I'm allowing someone who was actually there at the time to relive their youth again, rather than a young cunt like me being late to the party.

TheMonk

It sounds like a different show, with prerecorded sketches and new characters and all.
I suppose it was the BBC that insisted on the Big Night Out label for nostalgia reasons.

Even then, it's now Vic And Bob's Big Night Out not Vic Reeves' Big Night Out, so there's something.

Stonefish

Wonder if Les will be in this? I was just reading this interview with Fred Aylward and he's been part of a reunion show back in 2006 for the DVD release:

The Big Night Out DVD came out in 2006, and you did a revival of the show for one night only to launch it...

Yeah, we did it in the old Raymond Revue Bar in Soho. I wasn't going to do it because I was down in Cornwall, but Vic's wife Nancy nagged me into it, so I came back and did a guest appearance as Les.

the science eel

I love them to pieces but I wish they'd stop looking back. I mean, this comes on the heels of the 25 Years Of... tour they did last year, which was nothing but greatest hits.

Mind, as a third series of House of Fools wasn't on the cards....

DrGreggles

Vic & Bob on the telly is better than Vic & Bob not on the telly.

NoSleep

Quote from: Stonefish on May 19, 2017, 08:53:20 AM
Wonder if Les will be in this? I was just reading this interview with Fred Aylward and he's been part of a reunion show back in 2006 for the DVD release:

He was rather badly treated after they finished recording the 2nd season. He got the sack but I don't think either of the two headliners had the guts to tell him themselves so it all went a bit sour between them. That was probably the basis of his reluctance to return.

the science eel

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 19, 2017, 10:31:49 AM
Vic & Bob on the telly is better than Vic & Bob not on the telly.

Always.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: NoSleep on May 19, 2017, 10:37:27 AM
He was rather badly treated after they finished recording the 2nd season. He got the sack but I don't think either of the two headliners had the guts to tell him themselves so it all went a bit sour between them. That was probably the basis of his reluctance to return.

Not strictly speaking true - a mate of mine (who was a freelance entertainment journo before 9/11 happened [another story for another thread]) interviewed Fred in the very late 90s for an exhibition he was having.  Relations between them have always been, and remain, good, but Vic and Bob's agent (or promoter, or whomever it was) prevented them from talking to Fred, mainly because the Beeb were buying Vic and Bob and not Les (the fact that Uncle Peter became a de-facto Les replacement in Smell of, and Les Lives was also taken up by BBC2 is neither here nor there).  So it wasn't a case of Vic and Bob not having the guts, nor things with Fred going sour, just that the money men and big wigs prevented it from being an amicable split.

In fairness to Fred Aylward, he's always been very laid back and non-accusatory about it, and even now says he's well up for anything that does happen, but if it doesn't no biggie.

NoSleep

I learnt of it through Fred's brother who told a slightly different story (and it was only a couple of years after the parting of ways) and it probably took a while for both parties to compare notes. Certainly Les could have done with a hand in the writing of Les Lives which was fuck awful.

Shit Good Nose

Fred certainly bore no ill will in that interview (in fact, by all accounts he spoke very lovingly of them), and it would seem that he still thinks that way now.  But they've all got very separate lives and have had for over 20 years, so I can't see much else, if anything, happening.

I've always liked Lives - a bit of a kissing cousin to Harry Hill's Fruit Fancies and Jim Tavare Presents (all on TV within a couple of years of each other) - but its legacy was not helped by the fact that it was never repeated and the subsequent video cost £15 for its 30 minute run time, and it never went down in price (Fruit Fancies suffered the same fate).

Glebe

Quote from: Billy on May 19, 2017, 12:57:12 AMI have a serious romantic attachment to the "Neighties" (c. 1988-1992) in general - the telly, the fashions, the music my god the music

People have a tendency to idealise 'eras', but I have to say, coming of age at that time, there was, as you say, a lot of marvelous stuff happening culturally. It's easy to say "It all went downhill after Kurt died", but... It did.

Replies From View

Doing PGL with the school that week, unfortunately, or I would have definitely applied.  Seems like an historic opportunity to see them, somehow.  Like this might be one of the last times they'll perform together like this.  I know that's a weird thing to think.

I hope people here manage to get tickets and let us know how it goes.

petril

When did they stop being Reeves & Mortimer and start being Vic & Bob? And more to the point, was there a reason for it?

The Masked Unit

Just had an email from the beeb to say no tickets for me. Good luck to the rest of you cunts.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: petrilTanaka on May 22, 2017, 04:21:46 PM
When did they stop being Reeves & Mortimer and start being Vic & Bob? And more to the point, was there a reason for it?

Everyone was calling them Vic and Bob from the second series of Big Night Out.  Reeves & Mortimer is what I guess you would call the duo's official title, whilst Vic and Bob is how they are lovingly known by the fans.

SteveDave

I do not have tickets either. Fine. It's fine.

Billy

Nowt for me. Back to the (edited) DVDs I suppose...

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Billy on May 30, 2017, 01:00:41 PM
Nowt for me. Back to the (edited) DVDs I suppose...

They've edited the DVDs before the recording's even happened? It's pc gone etc

Nowt for me either.

DrGreggles

Well, some fucker must have got tickets!

Not this fucker though...

Dr Funke

poo

Quote from: Billy on May 19, 2017, 12:57:12 AM
I have a serious romantic attachment to the "Neighties" (c. 1988-1992) in general

'Neighties.'  Good phrase.  You could also have 'noutens' (noughties and tens-2008-12), 'ninenoughts' (nineties and noughties-1998-2002)
and 'seighties' (1978-1982).  The bits at the start and end of a decade do have a different, hybrid character, compounded of two decades, compared to the mid-parts of a decade, which are of that decade exclusively.

Anyone got any links for this/these? It's fucking stupid that it can't be seen easily.

Quote from: Ghost of [banned member] on May 27, 2018, 08:50:08 PM
Anyone got any links for this/these? It's fucking stupid that it can't be seen easily.

Oh dear, here we go again...

poo