Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Started by purlieu, May 19, 2017, 06:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

TV series coming to Netflix. Jim Henson Company making it. No plot info etc. Mixed feelings, the film is one of my favourites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

Glebe

There was the comic of course, but they've been talking about a movie sequel for a long time... love those production design sketches (from the original?), and that glimpse of the new, animatronic Skeksis at the end there!

Steven

Looking forward to it, hopefully it will be set before the crystal shard was returned so we still have the Skeksis running the Empire and a diaspora of weird fucking creatures populating the land, and scope for creating more. I hope it's not going to be all about an innocuous Gelfling completing some undaunting task or it will be too similar to the movie or LOTR.

Kelvin

I loved the film as a kid, but it does contain this memorable character arc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-kMUZZVKCI

Steven

Looking at it with adult eyes, with all their partying, dainty dinners, ostentatious dresses, jewels. furs and bitching constantly with one another about who's in charge, the Skeksis were right load of old drag queens weren't they? The whimpering Chamberlain is no match for the powerbottom Treasurer "TRIAL BY STONE!" and gets stripped naked like in some Skull & Bones hazing ceremony.

Phil_A

One of those weird little things I remember about the original film was the lead female character was voiced by Lisa Maxwell off the Russ Abbott Show(and later The Bill).

hermitical

anyone watched the darker fanedit, supposedly closer to Henson's version, rather than the studio's?

Steven

Quote from: olliebean on May 19, 2017, 09:49:58 PM
This is a prequel, apparently.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis' power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.

Way too much like LOTR, then. Oh well, still looking forward to it.

St_Eddie

THE GEFLINGS

VOICE CAST

(The Gelflings)

Taron Egerton (Kingsman) as Rian

Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch) as Brea

Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones) as Deet

Caitriona Balfe (Outlander)

Helena Bonham-Carter (The King's Speech)

Harris Dickinson (forthcoming Maleficent 2)

Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones)

Eddie Izzard (Ocean's Thirteen)

Theo James (The Divergent Series)

Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

Shazad Latif (Star Trek: Discovery)

Gugu Mbatha-Raw (The Cloverfield Paradox)

Mark Strong (Kingsman)

Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The Skeksis & Mystics)

Harvey Fierstein (Torch Song)

Mark Hamill (Knightfall, Star Wars)

Ralph Ineson (Game of Thrones)

Jason Isaacs (The OA)

Keegan-Michael Key (Key and Peele)

Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (True Detective)

Simon Pegg (Mission Impossible)

Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine Nine)

QuoteHarvey Fierstein

I seriously misread that as 'Harvey Weinstein' for a moment there but whatever your thoughts on the man, let's face it, he would make for a fantastic Skeksis!  He could play the role of Wank'arin N'to the Chamberlain-Pot.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to this prequel; not so much for the story because quite frankly, I find the plot of the first film to be rather dull but rather, for the sure-to-be-wonderful practical effects, puppetry and sheer imagination on display, which are the very aspects which I adore about the original film.

Replies From View

Very pleasing that this is puppets rather than CGI.

mothman

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on December 22, 2018, 01:17:56 PM
Very pleasing that this is puppets rather than CGI.

Indeed.  I'm giving this series my full support, 100%, because I fucking adore practical effects.  Also, the Skeksis are wonderfully vile creations, who I could happily watch being vile, all day long.

Quote from: mothman on December 22, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
Never seen The Dark Crystal.

Whereas The Dark Crystal claims to have seen the Mothman on many occasions.  Personally, I remain highly skeptical about that claim and the Mothman's very existence.

...wait, why am I replying to something which doesn't exist?!

Shit Good Nose

Fucking hell - Pegg.  Ruined already.

hermitical

I saw Jason Isaacs but read Jason Statham.

I don't like the modern trend of using high profile actors as voice actors, always feels like a distraction.
I know it isn't logical, with high profile actors being in standard films, but voice acting seems like it requires a different skill. I think the biggest name in the original was Billie Whitelaw followed by Lisa Maxwell from The Bill/Loose Women etc

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 22, 2018, 05:30:51 PM
Fucking hell - Pegg.  Ruined already.

Aye.  Made me do a double take and all.  A double take of 'oh, for fuck's sake'.

Quote from: hermitical on December 23, 2018, 10:28:04 AM
I don't like the modern trend of using high profile actors as voice actors, always feels like a distraction.
I know it isn't logical...

Nah, mate.  It is logical.

Camp Tramp

Am I the only one who finds Gelflings hideous?

purlieu

Those photos look like they're using that Snapchat filter that makes you look like you're wearing too much makeup.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Camp Tramp on December 23, 2018, 11:41:38 AM
Am I the only one who finds Gelflings hideous?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Dex Sawash

Pretty sure that I am bisexual in the gelfling universe.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 23, 2018, 01:35:47 PM
Pretty sure that I am bisexual in the gelfling universe.

You're bisexual in all the universes.

St_Eddie

Lots of new shots from the series in these two articles.  It looks absolutely amazing.  I love practical effects.

Dex Sawash

St_Eddie

It's looking good, although I'm a little disappointed by the amount of CGI.  I mean, it's still primarily practical but I was kind of hoping that CGI would only be used for puppet rod removal and the likes.  That's kind of a nitpick though, admittedly.

Glebe

Looks really well made.

Remember this as a nipper:

Jim Henson & Frank Oz on Harty - BBC 1983 - The Dark Crystal.

I actually thought it was Wogan they appeared on. Anyway, the skeksi was scary enough, but the giant beetle crashing through the studio wall fucking terrified me.

ZoyzaSorris

I used to love it as a kid too but in the cold light of day have to second the motion that the gelflings are repugnant corneal cysts.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on June 04, 2019, 06:23:04 PM
Remember this as a nipper:

Jim Henson & Frank Oz on Harty - BBC 1983 - The Dark Crystal.

That was a great watch.  Ta.

Quote from: Glebe on June 04, 2019, 06:23:04 PMI actually thought it was Wogan they appeared on. Anyway, the skeksi was scary enough, but the giant beetle crashing through the studio wall fucking terrified me.

So much of that film is childhood nightmare fuel.  I bloody love it!

purlieu

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 02, 2019, 07:46:01 PM
It's looking good, although I'm a little disappointed by the amount of CGI.
Yeah, the puppets are obviously ace looking, but they do seem to be dropped in on CG backdrops for a hell of a lot of that, which just makes it look a lot less 'real'.

St_Eddie

Quote from: purlieu on June 04, 2019, 10:43:08 PM
Yeah, the puppets are obviously ace looking, but they do seem to be dropped in on CG backdrops for a hell of a lot of that, which just makes it look a lot less 'real'.

I would have loved for them to fully go back to the 80's production sensibilities for this; matte paintings and optical effects, the works.

Glebe

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 04, 2019, 10:22:20 PMThat was a great watch.  Ta.

So much of that film is childhood nightmare fuel.  I bloody love it!

Cheers, Eddie... yes, it was definitely quite scary to me as a child too.

Btw, I like the way they threw in the Chamberlain's "Hmmm!" at the end of the teaser.