Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:45:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Started by purlieu, May 19, 2017, 06:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on June 05, 2019, 11:58:28 AM
Btw, I like the way they threw in the Chamberlain's "Hmmm!" at the end of the teaser.

Agreed, that was a nice touch.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Chamberlain again, as he was my favourite character in the film.  Given that original voice actor, Barry Dennen passed away in 2017, I believe that it's Mark Hamill providing the voice (and doing the "hmmm" at the end of the trailer) in this new series.

madhair60

Got this on DVD but never bothered my arse putting the disc in. Labyrinth too. Same thing basically

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on June 05, 2019, 02:28:58 PM
Got this on DVD but never bothered my arse putting the disc in. Labyrinth too. Same thing basically

You are a disgrace.  A lovable disgrace, but a disgrace all the same.

St_Eddie

Further cast announcements for the upcoming series...

Sigourney Weaver (Alien), Lena Headey (Game of Thrones), Benedict Wong (The Martian), Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians), Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and The Wasp) and Dave Goelz (The Dark Crystal).

...and Fizzgig?

St_Eddie

There's a lovely new behind the scenes featurette and trailer video here, which has me really sold on this upcoming series.  Bring. It. On.

Dex Sawash

Is this meant to follow on from the original?
Wife hasn't seen first one and Pijlstaart's gelfling parallel in the bakeoff thread has made her want to watch this.

Old movie first?

Hobo

Dex Sawash

Oh good, proper order then like starting with phantom menace

Sin Agog

I've seen a couple of episodes of this, and mid-way through the second episode it occurred to me that some of this might be made up.  Just a warning in case anyone else more naive than I plans to give it a go.

olliebean

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 01, 2019, 03:36:22 PM
I've seen a couple of episodes of this, and mid-way through the second episode it occurred to me that some of this might be made up.  Just a warning in case anyone else more naive than I plans to give it a go.

But, surely, not the important bits?

Cheesewogg

It's terrific! Nice bit of narrative gaslighting going on too!

Sin Agog

I agree, it is really good. A big writhing mass of puppet life.  The plot is a melange of various fantasy cliches, but it's so great to see those stiff botoxy puppet beaks again, and in a friendly alliance with vast CG worlds as well.  Don't know who was clamouring for a Dark Crystal series (Netflix also recently made modern Invader Zim and Rocko's Modern Life updates); it all feels very quixotic, and I'm really glad they made it.

Question: what's up with each character being credited to two different voice actors?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 03, 2019, 12:27:59 PM
Question: what's up with each character being credited to two different voice actors?

I presume one (the more recognisable name) provides the voice whilst the other is the puppeteer.

I see Kevin Clash(*) is involved, so he might do both.

(* - let's keep that stuff for a different thread, yeah?)

Sin Agog

Oh yeah, that's definitely it.  I temporarily forgot how puppets worked.  There were a couple puppeteers doing the voices, too, so I guess Clash was one of them.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm a bit late to the party, but we've been catching up with this recently. It's rather good, isn't it?

The film was released before I was born and never seemed to be on telly when I was growing up, so the show doesn't evoke any sort of nostalgia in me. I probably wouldn't even have bothered watching this if my housemate hadn't put it on, but we've just reached the halfway point and it's drawn me in.

Taron Egerton is rather wooden, but the rest of the cast mostly make up for it. The Skekses are the best part, with Simon Pegg being a particular highlight as the slimy, but menacing chamberlain. I can imagine children forming fond memories of being scared shitless by some scenes (they'll need Skeksis Sketchleys).

Shit Good Nose

Me and Mrs Nose finished this at the weekend, followed by the making-of which, oddly, made me want to watch the film more than it did Resistance (I also watched the film after).

I used to love The Dark Crystal (film) - I saw it at the cinema (on the approach to being 4) and watched it regularly whilst growing up.  The last time I saw it was when it first came out on DVD (the American one, which would have been about 1998 I think) and remembered liking it then.  However, very quickly into the series (by the end of episode 2), both me and Mrs Nose acknowledged that we'd probably grown out of it.  We saw the series through to the end and then the (admittedly pretty good) making-of, but she had no interest in seeing the film again, and didn't sound overly bothered about seeing any second series (there's plenty of story still left to fill the gap which runs up to the film).

Overall, and despite the much larger story and world of the series, I think I still prefer the feel and look of the film (there's something about it that the series just doesn't capture - it may be as simple as just the celluloid).  However I do think I've out-grown it, certainly in a way that I haven't out-grown the muppets.

Not bad by any means - objectively very good - just not for me any more.

Glebe

So I finished the series and watched the doco as well, very good overall... it looks beautiful, there are a couple of draggy bits, but it gets a thumbs up on the whole from me. The documentary is worth a look, clearly an incredible amount of talent and hard work went into making the show. Interesting to see the CGI gelfling test, definitely looks jarring with the puppet skeksis, glad they didn't go that root.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Cancelled - https://io9.gizmodo.com/dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-has-been-canceled-by-ne-18451326120

I'm in two minds about the news: I enjoyed the first series a good deal, but I wasn't champing at the bit for a follow up. I can't even remember if it ended on a cliffhanger or somesuch. It was better than The Witcher, anyway.

Glebe

Hmmm, yeah... it was beautifully made but it did get a bit complicated... the buzz around it died off after a bit so maybe this isn't so surprising. I'm a bit sad to hear it all the same.