Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:23:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dressing Up Dolly

Started by Barry Admin, May 21, 2017, 03:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Is there anyone who doesn't actually love this part of games? It's a big thing now, and has been superbly implemented in Injustice 2. People love the cosmetic stuff, even in FPS games where you don't really get to see it yourself - but hey, it's about showing off, right? A lot of it seems to come straight from mmorpgs like Warcraft.

A guy I play Geara of War with has to have all his weapons with the same skin, whereas I just mix and match. I remember that I would regularly change my characters outfit in GTA Online, and enjoyed doing so, but was always conscious that I was just dressing up dolly.

In a way, games publishers are directly targeting people's vanity, because "play to win" isn't cool, but most people don't really give a shit about a micro transaction market that's funded by cosmetic items.

Neomod

Saints Row was great for this but I don't see the point in something like Borderlands 2, especially when they take up space in your inventory.

BeardFaceMan

I've never been big into this stuff, mainly for that reason neil, it's a FPS so you don't even see what you're wearing. Back when you had to earn things like gold skins and not just buy them then it was cool, it was a little badge of achievement and also let other players know what you were capable of. Now far too much focus is put on it, people saying things like 'this game sucks, it doesn't have enough customization options' when it's completely superficial and matters not a jot when it comes to gameplay.

Bought R-Type in the sale the other day, I miss hard games. The vast majority of arcade games went uncompleted but I never fail to complete a console game. People have just become entitled fucks who want everything unlocked right now, there's no joy in the playing of the game or completing challenges to unlock stuff, it's just that Pokemon mentality of 'gotta have everything!'. Fuck that shit, it's a game, you want more stuff then play the fucking game! Where's the joy in just endlessly buying skins? Urgh, no fucking thanks.

kittens

i like the dress up the nice lady of the big boobies
nude skin

Barry Admin

Beardy, there's a bigger argument there I keep meaning to make a thread about. Namely skinner boxes and other psychological tricks that are now used to make games more compelling/addictive, and lucrative. Sadly, it does work, and you become accustomed to getting a constant stream of rewards.

I just try to be thoughtful about what I spend my money on, as I don't really have any. I like to support things I enjoy so they continue to be made, and so more things like that proliferate.

When it comes to a game as cynical as Gears of War 4, though, I will never, ever give them a penny in microtransactions, and am happy just to grind for it. Indeed, I enjoy the grind, and it gives me another thing to aim for, which keeps me engaged with the game. I refuse to cheat and use glitches and stuff to get things, so everyone else can buy their cosmetics, but I do definitely prefer to earn them.

Bazooka

Aside from the Nude Raider patch in Tomb Raider, I don't really care for it. If it changes stats then that is different, which alot of JRPG's do include, the western games not so much. It was definitely fun back in the day as BeardFaceMan says, you had to work for it. Its just a a really easy cash revenue stream now, but hey I guess people pay for it.

Remember big head mode, big hands big feet,pen and ink mode, all things of the past for the most part.

Shay Chaise

I'm a big fan of Fashion Souls.

Harpo Speaks

I've mentioned this previously, but I've really come to hate this in Rocket League.

Every few games, RL rewards players with a random item drop that they can use to modify the appearance of their car. This feature has been in the game since the beginning I believe. These items are purely cosmetic, and have no bearing upon how your car behaves in the game itself. I have no issue with this whatsoever.

Unfortunately, subsequent to this, rarity tiers were applied to said items, and a trading system was introduced - items can now be traded between players or alternatively you can trade in 5 items of a particular type to receive one item of a higher rarity.

Now when you enter a game online there will be someone immediately spamming the text box repeatedly begging to trade items, rather than actually playing the fucking game. Cars sat stationary as the ball flies past them because they were too busy typing 'any1 have spider decal to swap for bowler hat??' to actually defend as a unit. Even better is when they get no responses and then immediately leave the game, causing lag in the game as they are replaced by bots.

Additionally, 'Crates' now appear amongst the random drop items. Locked crates that contain rare items. Locked crates that require keys that cost real money to purchase. That's how they get you isn't it.

My car looks fucking cool though.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Neomod on May 21, 2017, 03:20:43 PM
Saints Row was great for this but I don't see the point in something like Borderlands 2, especially when they take up space in your inventory.

Saints Row totally got it. I love some customisation just to make the game more personal and that I might be having a slightly different experience to someone else. Those games with the obscene level of detail where you're changing the cheekbones and depth of the forehead are a tad too much but Saints Row knew how to make it fun and let me be a big fat guy in pink dungarees and blue afro.

Dex Sawash

Replies From View

<tag>Mutton as lamb</tag>