Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Some unsettling but incredible art I just found

Started by Dr Syntax Head, May 22, 2017, 12:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on May 23, 2017, 03:56:56 AM
Isn't that kind of cheating?

I used to think that too until I watched the steps my kid did on her digital art. She could knock up a painting faster.

NoSleep

Hmm, yeah, was just reading about the guy. "Stålenhag produces his paintings digitally using a computer and digital drawing board, in a style that mimics oil or acrylic painting." Isn't that kind of cheating?

Not really. The composition and the way light falls is superb. It would be great as a frame from a film or if it was a photograph, so it's great.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That description doesn't mention photos (although I assume he must at least be using them for reference) which leads me to think that it's all drawn from scratch. The fact that his canvas is virtual isn't cheating at all.

Quote from: The Masked Unit on May 22, 2017, 03:13:35 PM
Did you come across this on neogaf by any chance, Dr Syntax Head? There was a thead there about a week ago about games you'd like to see based on various illustrators' work.
I get very strong hints of Half-Life 2, mixed with a little bit of The Last of Us.

Here Comes Mongo

Thanks everyone for clearing that up. I'm a bit of an ignoramus and my only conception of skill in the visual arts is (or now was) the traditional forms, drawing, painting and so on.

Anyway, I really like the images; they have a dream like quality to them. I believe that was the aim of the original surrealist painters, but much as I like their work I always felt it was a bit contrived. These are more subtle and more reflective of actual dreams.

Speaking of which, I wish I had the artistic talent to paint some of the more vivid dreams I've experienced so as to record them. It seems a shame that some of the images and landscapes my unconscious mind managed to conjure up are lost forever.

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on May 23, 2017, 02:17:57 PM
I'm a bit of an ignoramus and my only conception of skill in the visual arts is (or now was) the traditional forms, drawing, painting and so on.
Sadly, you are (or were) far from alone in that way of thinking. People hear the word 'computer' and think that's all there is to it - as if the artist needs to do nothing more than click on the appropriate menu.

mothman

I think I saw on Twitter that he might have now completed this series of paintings, so the tale is there in its entirety.

I presume we're meant to make of the story what we will, fill in the blanks as we see fit. Interested to hear people's interpretations...

QDRPHNC

Hmm, yeah, was just reading about the guy. "Stålenhag produces his paintings digitally using a computer and digital drawing board, in a style that mimics oil or acrylic painting." Isn't that kind of cheating?

Cheating at what?

Phil_A

The girl and the robot makes me think of the Rocky & Fumble stories from the early years of Love & Rockets.

I think there was an RPG of this on Kickstarter last year. Might only have been in Swedish though.

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 23, 2017, 04:38:31 PM
Cheating at what?

The work resembles traditional painting but apparently isn't. But from what others have said, the way he works is an incredible skill in its own right.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: The Masked Unit on May 22, 2017, 03:13:35 PM
Did you come across this on neogaf by any chance, Dr Syntax Head? There was a thead there about a week ago about games you'd like to see based on various illustrators' work. There was lots of good stuff but this was by far my favourite. I intend to take a much closer look at his stuff when I can find the time.

No I googled Space Wrecks looking for that guy that did those awesome paintings of abandoned and wrecked space ships, cos I bloody love that kind of thing,

I'd like to see the thread

Neville Chamberlain

I want a Wacom drawing board thingy.

Anyone know anything about how to use them? Basically, I love drawing, want to start working with colour more, but can't be arsed with the mess of real painting.

samadriel

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 24, 2017, 09:19:31 AM
I want a Wacom drawing board thingy.

Anyone know anything about how to use them? Basically, I love drawing, want to start working with colour more, but can't be arsed with the mess of real painting.

If you want to spend a LOT of money, you can get a Cintiq that has a screen for a work surface, which is probably helpful for neophytes, but you can spend hundreds less and get an Intuos or Bamboo, where the hardest aspect is drawing on the tablet while you're looking at the monitor. It's a bit pat-your-head-rub-your-stomach, but it only took me a few days to become accustomed to it, many years ago.

Edit: actually, a 13" Cintiq will set you back $1350 Australian, which isn't so bad. You'll get much more size for your buck if you buy an Intuos though.

You can probably pirate Photoshop CS6, but you can pay about 15 bucks a month for Photoshop CC, which stays up to date and is quite cool. Corel Painter is, from memory, fairly affordable if you want something that simulates all sorts of media, but with a lot of experimentation, you can get the same effect in PS.

Sebastian Cobb

That's pretty cool, looks a bit like a moody No Man's Sky.

Norton Canes

I suppose, if you think writing songs on a synthesizer rather than a piano is cheating too.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2017, 11:52:33 AM
I suppose, if you think writing songs on a synthesizer rather than a piano is cheating too.

So what would the process be for something like this?

Isn't it just like those machines in arcades where it 'sketches' you?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 24, 2017, 12:51:09 PM

I'm going to guess but they've probably layered a few filters.

Check out the android/iphone app 'Prisma', it's amazing what presets can do these days.

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/07/08/prisma-app-mindblowing/

Norton Canes

I don't mind the use of a few filters. You've still got to draw the image.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 24, 2017, 12:51:09 PM

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2017, 11:52:33 AM

Cheating's the wrong word as it implies that creating these pieces doesn't involve skill, when it clearly does. I only said that because the article stated that the artist uses a computer to mimic oil or acrylic paintings, rather than them really being created with brushes and paint (though perhaps it wouldn't be possible to produce them in that way?).

Using your comparison, if I was going to listen to a piece of synthesizer music I'd rather it used sounds only achievable with a synthsizer rather than sounds approximating real instruments. If I had the choice of hearing a piece of music played on a real piano or an electronic piano, I'd choose the real thing.

kidsick5000

If you get too used to using a wacom, you wil do some traditional drawing and find yourself frustrated that there's no command Z in real life.
Much like using a tablet then switching to a magazine highlights real life's lack of pinch-zoom.

here's a wacom drawing I did, (using photo reference obviously)

holyzombiejesus

mothman

kidsick5000

As in I'm using a photo for reference, not drawing freehand creating a pose from imagination.
Especially when it comes to shadow and lighting.

Quote from: mothman on May 24, 2017, 08:07:23 PM

Not that bad, but very straight forward and admittedly soulless.
I never made the leap to using the reference within a scenario as featured in the initial post (Which is pretty damn wonderful).

I don't use the wacom so much these days. I prefer the lack of safety net and scribble with ink.

neardark

Can't believe people in this thread are struggling with the concept of digital art. It has as much artistic merit as traditional painting.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 23, 2017, 02:47:42 PM
Sadly, you are (or were) far from alone in that way of thinking. People hear the word 'computer' and think that's all there is to it - as if the artist needs to do nothing more than click on the appropriate menu.

You think so?  If anything, in the fields I've been working in, with my own sci-f/fantasy illustration, I get the impression there's less respect/interest for people doing entirely hand-drawn stuff these days.  There's certainly swathes of generic looking digital computer game/board game/rpg art out there. 

Personally although I think digital art like the OP can be amazing, there's always a certain something missing.  A tactility...a soul??  Nah that's not it.  But something.  I'll stick to making stuff I can mostly have an original of, personally, though I've always said I'd give tablet painting a go one day.   

But often people generally don't even consider about how images are produced in general, and seem to assume they just spring outta nowhere. 

...for free...

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 24, 2017, 08:00:53 PM
there's no command Z in real life.

White gouache, swearing and learning from my mistakes has sort of had to fill in for me.

mothman

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 24, 2017, 08:12:19 PM
Not that bad, but very straight forward and admittedly soulless.

I'm kinda relieved youre not offended, I didn't have a lot of time to spend looking for Chasing Amy gifs. I too have done some tracing of my own in the past, I once did some concept banners for a proposed revamp of a Star Trek website I still run (barely), based on the classic iPod "silhouette" adverts of more than a decade ago. I just used Paint Shop Pro...

Incidentally, if anyone can recommend a good free/cheap graphic design package a la PSP but for MacBook, I'd be grateful. PhotoShop is way too ambitious for the klimited uses I put it to.

kidsick5000

Quote from: mothman on May 24, 2017, 11:03:27 PM
I'm kinda relieved youre not offended, I didn't have a lot of time to spend looking for Chasing Amy gifs.

It's a common comment, and part of the reason I keep to more tangible media where you have to live with your mistakes. Even using pencil feels like a cheat. So often now I just scribble in pen and try to makes mistakes work
Like these scribbles

This took longer, a bit more of a challenge because you can only correct so often

It's one thing to take a photograph, draw freehand but then digitally manipulate the drawing back to being like photograph.
I guess it's some sort of exercise. but you have to use that in some way that goes beyond.

gib

The artwork is remarkable and beautiful but why do the VR helmets need an hefty cable to work? The attention to detail suggests it's no mere oversight, so what's going on? 

really want to read the story

Blumf

Quote from: gib on May 24, 2017, 11:51:19 PM
The artwork is remarkable and beautiful but why do the VR helmets need an hefty cable to work? The attention to detail suggests it's no mere oversight, so what's going on? 

It's the 80s, wifi hadn't been invented yet.