Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crystal Maze With Dicky-ade

Started by Twed, May 26, 2017, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Why did nobody announce that the official CaB team were going to be on the latest installment?

touchingcloth

The Nerd in Space task was one of the funniest things I've seen in some time. A minute and a half to get back from the second planet, and he still fell on the floor like kittens and got locked in.

I hope there are gifs.

imitationleather

They weren't cosplayers. They were FURRIES!

After watching that I had a look at an old episode and was struck by how fewer games they play in the 2017 series. Loads more adverts, I suppose. In the new series if they get 30 seconds in the dome they've done extremely well, but in this old episode they got 30 seconds and O'Brien was all like "Unfortunately it's not very much time." Because they play about double the amount of games in the old episodes. The furries ending up with ten seconds, even lower than the shittest celebrities that they had to give basic maths questions to as "riddles" and they still struggled with them, was very funny.

touchingcloth

And who made goatee the king of the nerds? The answer to that question is, of course, his own relatively high opinion of himself and conscious decision to fraternise only with those meeker than him.

It comes to something when Richard Ayoade is placed on a situation where he can accurately be called cock of the yard.

mr beepbap

Ha yeah . Was disappointed he didnt shave his beard off at the end. Those guys were tragic. What the fuck was all the animal outfits and "Typical owl" type comments all about? You're not an owl just cos you got a kids party entertainer outfit on mate .  Its like some guys have just given up all hope of ever having a girlfriend.  For all this 'geek culture ' bollocks , these lads were the real deal.  Even the Games Workshop possee would have been taking the piss .

im barry bethel

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 16, 2017, 09:38:00 AM
The Nerd in Space task was one of the funniest things I've seen in some time. A minute and a half to get back from the second planet, and he still fell on the infinite void of space like kittens and got locked in.

I hope there are gifs.

We watched this a couple of weeks ago and virtually every game was repeated

Handtools to open the box
Coloured cubes
Scroll 'riddles'
Balance the scales
'reset' lights to get the code

And even then other than the steady hand game and possibly the Roman sudoko seemed to require and skill or mouse, stacking a fucking coloured totem pole isn't a fucking game.

The only enjoyment was seeing the hubris of goatee man kicked in the cunt

touchingcloth

There are gifs:

And someone has put the whole sorry voyage on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhnmwosgBo

olliebean

Anyone still watching this? New series started last night, although I think it's still part of the same block of episodes that were originally filmed - there weren't any new games. First time ever that a team has ended up with no crystals, which was quite fun to see.

imitationleather

Yeah I got the impression it was filmed as part of series 1. Also there were some teams who were referenced when they were publicising the original run who never appeared (one was a team of deaf people, I seem to remember). I am a bit tired of all these games now, seen them far too many times. However that team being so crap was extremely entertaining and made up for it.

I wasn't sure if this was coming back for a second series as no one seemed to really talk about it as the first one ran on, and there was no publicity that I saw for this one. Hope it sticks around, though. It's decent.

lgpmachine

Quote from: olliebean on April 16, 2018, 06:44:00 PMFirst time ever that a team has ended up with no crystals, which was quite fun to see.

I thought I'd seen an original series episode where the team failed to finish with any crystals but got given five seconds in the dome as a token gesture anyway.  Might've imagined it though.

Rolf Lundgren

They were awful yesterday. I'm not convinced they even understood what the show was about when they signed up.

Ending with no crystals shows the problem with having teams of families/friends. They're all nice to each other and buy anyone out virtually as soon as possible. You should have everyone there for the dome but there's no problem leaving a couple locked up for a bit while the good ones are getting crystals.

Replies From View

Quote from: lgpmachine on April 16, 2018, 07:16:53 PM
I thought I'd seen an original series episode where the team failed to finish with any crystals but got given five seconds in the dome as a token gesture anyway.  Might've imagined it though.

Did yesterday's episode just have no dome segment?

imitationleather

SPOILAGH

They went in the dome and he blew two whistles at once.

yesitsme

Even by CM standards this week's were a serious set of wallopers.

I'm sure that since they all said good-bye at the end of recording this family have never spoken to each other since and none of them watched Sunday's show.

Yes, too many adverts but it's still a good family show, little 'un gets really wound up watching it, screaming at the telly when the people didn't know what a cinemons was.  'It's similar - NOT opposite!' she kept shouting.

Welcome to the Crystal Dome.

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 09:50:55 PM
SPOILAGH

They went in the dome and he blew two whistles at once.

I don't understand.  Normally contestants are told how much time they will have in the Crystal Dome and they will know anyway because of the number of crystals they have.  Were the contestants kept in the dark this time?  And only made aware when two whistles were simultaneously blown?

It only makes it more confusing because two whistles blown at once don't obviously mean anything.

imitationleather

I mean, I can explain it or you could watch the last couple of minutes of the episode on All4. It would take longer for me to type it in a bulletproof way that you'll definitely understand, though.

Utter Shit

I really enjoyed Sunday's episode (great that it's on Sundays now too, perfect brainless TV when the rest of the schedule is entirely depressing dramas set in the countryside). At first the group annoyed me with how shit they are, but by the end I sort of loved them for how happily they embraced their shitness and got on board with the silliness of the situation. That shot of them all dancing in the Dome as their humiliation was completed was like something out of a family movie where at the end everyone learns that friendship is the most important thing.

During the adverts I watched THAT clip from the previous series on Youtube. Thought it wouldn't be as funny second time around...it is just as funny.

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on April 17, 2018, 04:42:26 PM
I mean, I can explain it or you could watch the last couple of minutes of the episode on All4. It would take longer for me to type it in a bulletproof way that you'll definitely understand, though.

I think you already know which one I will be insisting on.

olliebean

Heads up, the new series of this that started last night has a completely new set of games. (Well, apart from Buckles who has essentially the same game in a new set.)

Norton Canes

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 17, 2018, 05:02:18 PM
During the adverts I watched THAT clip from the previous series on Youtube. Thought it wouldn't be as funny second time around...it is just as funny.

Hmm. I think it's symptomatic of the failure of this new series to capture the enjoyment of the original that even the supposedly hilarious fuck-up clips are a let-down.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 09, 2018, 10:08:51 AM
Hmm. I think it's symptomatic of the failure of this new series to capture the enjoyment of the original that even the supposedly hilarious fuck-up clips are a let-down.

What were your favourite fuck-up moments of the original?

imitationleather

Just watched the one with Big Narstie.

Is it just me or has Ayoade got far, far better at presenting this? It was the best episode I've seen of the new iteration by a country mile.