Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:00:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ARMS

Started by Shay Chaise, May 26, 2017, 11:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 07, 2018, 04:59:46 PM
I do hope it's done well enough for a follow up, or at least a few more little updates.

The game sold over a million (1.35 million according to wiki), and was actually in the top 10 selling games on Switch last year (in US), I think.

There won't be any more major updates, though. Nintendo confirmed that the last update, which added that Doctor character, will be the last, bar minor patches.   

Shay Chaise

I'm still hoping that something was lost in translation or they change their mind :S

Can't wait for the Direct, either way.

Shay Chaise

Party Crash is on.

Lola Pop vs. Misango. I'm up to rank 10 within about half an hour, absolutely love this game and this mode in particular. It's one of the few games where I don't really mind getting beat because you're into the next one so quickly and it's all just generosity.

Kelvin

Yeah, I've actually been playing the game all week, getting a few extra arms for Lola Pop in preparation. It's remarkable how much this one mode has revitilised my interest.

Shay Chaise

Jump into my lobby if you fancy it and we can tag team some dopes. I'll try to pop into yours too if that's cool. Lola Pop is pretty much my main, though I've had most success with Springman, boringly enough!

Shay Chaise

Either that or I get whomped in about five seconds leaving you in a 2-on-1...

Kelvin

It was fun playing you, Shay. Got up to level 18, and I'm gonna try and hit 25 before the end of the weekend, maybe even 30. 

Playing you did highlight one of my biggest bugbears with Nintendo, though. I'd have loved to invite you to a few one on one matches, outside of party mode, but there's no in game way to do that. It's so fundamentally stupid, and I've had so many chances when Thursday's been in Splatoon 2 at the same time as me, or you've been on ARMS and I've thought, why the fuck can't I send this person an invite, even if there's absolutely no chat option.

Shay Chaise

Yeah, totally agree. I wish we'd had a couple of regular fights. I was starting to think it deliberately doesn't pair up people on your friends list because I got a text off a material asking me to jump in his Party Crash lobby and we didn't have a single 1v1 in twenty minutes or so. The only way is to create a lobby and send a message on here, it seems.

We can defo do that some time though!

Kelvin

Yeah, maybe tomorrow, if you were going to play it for a bit. I suppose if we pick a set time in the evening, I can just sit in the private lobby till you join.

Shay Chaise

OK, great. I'm out with the missus tomorrow evening but Sunday I'm definitely around if you are about. No time pressure or anything, just as long or little as you fancy. That'd be fun.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 20, 2018, 12:17:20 AM
OK, great. I'm out with the missus tomorrow evening but Sunday I'm definitely around if you are about. No time pressure or anything, just as long or little as you fancy. That'd be fun.

Okay, Sunday's fine. I'm just thinking of a few matches, see how it goes.

Kelvin

You still up for this, Shay? If so, what time is good for you? 7? 7.30? 8? Later?

Shay Chaise

Sorry mate, I was just coming to post a message. I've been in bed ill today and just watching some shite now with the missus and having an early night. Sorry to be a flake :(

Defo up for it another night though.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 21, 2018, 07:18:50 PM
Sorry mate, I was just coming to post a message. I've been in bed ill today and just watching some shite now with the missus and having an early night. Sorry to be a flake :(

Defo up for it another night though.

[BURSTS INTO TEARS, RUNS UP STAIRS, SLAMS BEDROOM DOOR AND JUMPS FACE FIRST INTO PILLOW]

Thursday

Shay Chaise

I don't even know if that's sarcastic, I am whacked. Off to kip now but catch y'all round.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 21, 2018, 08:17:44 PM
I don't even know if that's sarcastic, I am whacked. Off to kip now but catch y'all round.

I was just being silly. Was up for a game, but it's totally cool if you're feeling ill. No worries, we can do it any time   :)

Thursday

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Kelvin on January 21, 2018, 08:57:39 PM
I was just being silly. Was up for a game, but it's totally cool if you're feeling ill. No worries, we can do it any time   :)

Genuinely looking forward to it. Maybe we can get a little lobby going if anyone else has the game, too? (Though I think it's probably just you and me...)

I ended up with 2400 credits after that Party Crash, which is mental. I probably get 24 arms on average via the 200 credit arms getter so I should be able to fill up most characters with that. The plus versions may drag it out a bit longer but yeah, I'll look forward to it. I do hope they come out with some more updates to spend the credits on. I'd love more costumes and stages, especially. There's plenty of arms variety and plenty of characters, I would just love to play for cosmetics, to be honest.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 22, 2018, 10:10:16 PM
I ended up with 2400 credits after that Party Crash, which is mental. I probably get 24 arms on average via the 200 credit arms getter so I should be able to fill up most characters with that.

Yeah, I reached level 26, I think. That was enough to finally unlock every ARM for every character, so I'm totally maxed out now. My last big milestone is finishing the single player with every character, and I only have Dr Coyle left for that, I think. Hopefully the Party Crash modes will still bring me back even now that I don't need the in-game rewards. 

Shay Chaise

You've actually played more of this than me, by quite a margin! I haven't really touched the single player, just ranked and party crash, basically. I still have about a third of the arms to unlock across the different characters, I reckon.

Anyway, I also wanted to say that I had an SFV night with some of the Cane and Rinse crew and there's plenty of interest for an ARMS night, too. I wonder whether you'd like to get involved in that? Will hopefully fill a lobby, all sound dudes and a bit of Discord chat is a funny sideline.

Anyone else who plays ARMS, please, you're invited to get your face punched in.

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 26, 2018, 06:20:14 PM
You've actually played more of this than me, by quite a margin! I haven't really touched the single player, just ranked and party crash, basically. I still have about a third of the arms to unlock across the different characters, I reckon.

When I moved flat last year, It was the only new game I downloaded before I went without internet for a month or so. At the time, I quite enjoyed it, but I think that contributed to my initial burnout with the game - especially as it had no badges in it at that point.

QuoteAnyway, I also wanted to say that I had an SFV night with some of the Cane and Rinse crew and there's plenty of interest for an ARMS night, too. I wonder whether you'd like to get involved in that?

Sure. Just let me know when it is.

Shay Chaise

I can totally understand the burnout, especially without playing online. It was much less of a game until fairly recently, I reckon. You may remember I was very mixed on the game not too long after launch and it was on course to being my disappointment of the year because that crazy curving and movement had looked like so much fun before it came out.

In hindsight, it was my own fault for not experimenting enough. So much depends on the arms you use, obviously, but early on I played a lot of Kid Cobra with Slap and Slam, which is pretty viable in a way but does mean that fights take place at medium to long range and become quite attritional. Couple that with Kid Cobra's special being a long fast dash, ideal for close range pressure, and I just didn't have many tools and fell into a repetitive groove, without much success. Not only that, the extra dash length meant I quite often dashed into stuff which otherwise wouldn't have hit me. Using two very similar arms almost exclusively was also very limiting. I basically thought he/they looked cool and was determined to get good with them but that whole combo doesn't suit how I like to play fighters.

I still don't think I've finally settled on a main but I've had a fair bit of joy with Lola Pop. I love her bouncy movement and ability to move while blocking, and I was happy she was in the latest Party Crash. I must have put in a good five or ten hours over the weekend. That said, by far the most success I've had has been with Springman and a pretty straightforward Toaster and Sparky (?) set-up, plus Thunderbird to mix things up. I play a pretty direct rushdown game, keeping the punches flowing and focusing on dodging. Any knockdown with the Toaster is a chance to buff and any charged hit with the Sparky is a throw or free full rush. If my opponent is faster than me, I get out the Thunderbird and keep looping it on angles, especially inside out which catches a lot of people out. It's got great range if you pull back when throwing it, too, and attacks from above seem hard to do anything except block.

What about yourself? Who do you like to play?

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 27, 2018, 12:56:30 PM
What about yourself? Who do you like to play?

I also played Kid Cobra initially, although unlike you, he was always the design I liked least. With time, though, I started to play more and more Twintelle, although I've recently gone off her as I realised her movement was actually quite easy to predict, due to her slow mid-air specials. I've not really settled on a replacement yet. I really liked playing Lola Pop during the last Party Crash, but I also like Byte and Barq - primarily because Barq annoys my friend so much when we play couch versus. I really need to find a nice fast character, as that's always been my preference in fighters.

As for which ARMS I use, I can't remember the name, but I tend to use the electric ones, coupled with an explosive one. The former to stun, the latter for coverage.     

Shay Chaise

Well, despite the reports that ARMS was finished aside from balance patches, 5.1 came out with:

Gallery
Added new "Gallery" feature. Unlock amazing illustrations using in-game currency, or by fulfilling certain conditions.
Added new badges.
Added badges earned when certain pairs of fighters rack up battles together.
Added badges earned by repeatedly using each ARM.
And so many more!

New additions to Party Crash.

ARMS Labs have manufactured the ultimate version of Hedlok. It will appear only in Party Crash.
ARMS Labs have thought up some new Bonus Periods. Look out for them!
If a featured fighter is losing by more than 1000 points in the current lobby, the bonus for using them will increase from 1.5x to 2x. Time for some comebacks!

Added "Tournament Mode."
A mode made for tournaments with all ARMS unlocked.
When in Tournament Mode you will be unable to play other modes such as Grand Prix or Ranked Match, and you won't receive badges or in-game currency. Records will also not be recorded.
You can switch between Normal Mode and Tournament Mode on the Top Menu by holding in the R Stick and pressing L and R.

Plus balance patches, etc.

Pretty good. New Party Crash coming soon, too. Kid Cobra vs Springtron.

Kelvin

I had a look at some of the art and had to laugh at the demented lore under some of it. Stuff like the in game reason why they all wear masks, the reasons people have the mutations they do, and the other things the mutation affects. It's just funny reading such earnest explanations for this game about people called spring man and master mummy.

Shay Chaise

https://youtu.be/ex2PWumj27A

NA & Canada ARMS tournament finals. Stream starts properly around 33m.

Worth a watch to see the enormous variety in characters and arms choices. This game effectively has no tier list, it's purely down to the individual player's skill and their understanding of their arms and their opposition. There was a comment in another thread about dodge-grab being most of the game - this shows what the game really is.

Kelvin

It's not a coincidence that everyone complains about the throw, though. For most players, who don't master the game, it will feel overpowered. Maybe using it should drain your special meter or something? I definitely think that aspect needs revising in subsequent titles.

Shay Chaise

Not at all, no. I complained about it very vocally early on until someone told me that I needed to be less afraid and punch through it. I'm just trying to show what the game is really like and address the misconception.

I was always an absolute bugger on SF4 for throwing, as an aside. I played Ken who had a kind of glitched out 'kara throw' where you could basically interrupt the frames of your step kick move straight into a throw (it took a certain amount of skill, of course) which meant that I was able to execute the throw from marginally outside the normal throw range. I would hover in and around that line and frankly abuse certain opponents. Double perfects only by throwing and an infinite number of rage quits. Glory days. The throw is such a demoralising move because it takes away player control for quite a few seconds, which feels awful.

Shay Chaise

If anyone fancies a bit of lobby action, jump in with me now. About six here.