Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Headphone Recommendations?

Started by monkfromhavana, June 01, 2017, 06:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Anyone got any good recommendation for over ear headphones between 30 & 70 quid?

My pair of Sennheisers seem to have given up the ghost in one ear unless I hold the end in exactly the right place.

Not looking for anything compatible with android blah blah or for gaming....just for plugging in and playing music through.

Johnny Textface

Do you care about noise leakage, how they look, in ear or not? etc..

Dr Rock

I just want to say I now have my waterproof mp3 player, with headphones, and they are fab. Not perfect sound quality, but drowns out the screaming kids and I can swim to Steely Dan instead. Marvellous.

mobias

Can you stretch to 100 quid? If so Grado Labs SR80e headphones are the best headphones for the money I've ever used. They are that bit more expensive but when you hear them you'll know where your money is going. I've never owned any other headphones other than Grado Labs since a friend introduced me to them.

They're not particularly good looking, they do not put aesthetic pleasantries ahead of audio quality, and they're also not great for noise leakage, very open ear design, but they are phenomenally good.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 01, 2017, 10:02:07 PM
I just want to say I now have my waterproof mp3 player, with headphones, and they are fab. Not perfect sound quality, but drowns out the screaming kids and I can swim to Steely Dan instead. Marvellous.

I've been meaning to look into these as I like the idea of swimming but find it incredibly boring.  An Audio Book or something might help.
What did you go for?

Dr Rock

What did I go swimming for? Because my pain medication makes me put on weight so I have to hit the gym and swim a lot. Been every day this week.

What type of waterproof mp3 player did I go for?

This one

http://www.gearbest.com/mp3-mp4-players/pp_393385.html?currency=GBP&vip=760246&gclid=COiwjcTJndQCFe4y0wodRtQCig

surreal

Quote from: mobias on June 01, 2017, 10:14:38 PM
Can you stretch to 100 quid? If so Grado Labs SR80e headphones are the best headphones for the money I've ever used. They are that bit more expensive but when you hear them you'll know where your money is going. I've never owned any other headphones other than Grado Labs since a friend introduced me to them.

Another vote for Grado, simply great if you don't mind sound leakage.  For work and at home I use a mix of Audio Technica models which I find have great sound and low leakage, and they are comfortable for extended wear.  I have the M30 (which is about £60) and the M50 (about £125), but any of their range should do you.  For something more portable, look at the ATH-WM55 for about £38

monkfromhavana

I can't really stretch to £100, and I can't wait either - off to Argos for a pair of £70 Sennheisers it is.