Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan "Still-born" Barley Prediction Thread

Started by Neil, December 08, 2004, 03:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamburger3

Quote from: "Muteki"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Who's that walking down the street?
He's got risible shoes on his media feet
He's wearing twelve iPods so he doesn't look a spack
But to be really retro he's painted the headphones black
His pin-up is someone ironic, eg Francis Wheen
Apparently that's a satire of the London scene
Oh Nathan, Nathan Barley
Oh, you're our kinda guy
Oh Nathan, Nathan Barley
Oh bum rape monkey spunk Christ trousers piss
I now have an mp3 of this theme tune, if anyone wants to host it?

Electroclash!

http://ezshare.de/en/main.html

Use this site.

TJ

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Who's that walking down the street?
He's got risible shoes on his media feet
He's wearing twelve iPods so he doesn't look a spack
But to be really retro he's painted the headphones black
His pin-up is someone ironic, eg Francis Wheen
Apparently that's a satire of the London scene
Oh Nathan, Nathan Barley
Oh, you're our kinda guy
Oh Nathan, Nathan Barley
Oh bum rape monkey spunk Christ trousers piss

Predcition #238573:

After hearing these theme lyrics, I will post to the forum saying "What? I mean... what the? He's stealing the title song from Clive Dunn's "Grandad" now, only putting more of those tiresome word juxtapositions in... oh I give up, I really do", and go off and listen to "Hedgehog Sandwich". An hour or two later, I will make the mistake of posting a vaguely worded second comment about how the majority of Morris fans have got exactly what they wanted with this, and I hope they're happy. Ambient Sheep will initially mistake this for me placing the blame on the most recent Verbwhores Bristol meet, and then add an edit saying "ah hang on, I get it now! ;)". My comments will get slagged off on some other forum by a dribbling fourteen year old. Someone will mail me saying "hey, I've got that Radio 1 Christmas show you say you're looking for on the site, it has Chris and the Peter man and the weird thing is it has some records like Blur that I don't think were out in 1990 (poss.1992?)". And then it will all start all over again...

Jemble Fred

I do predict that any time folk from other forums want to take a swipe at CaB types for being miserable, joyless, 'Bitter' bastards, they'll probably point to this thread, yodelling "YOU NEVER GIVES ANYTHING LOL NO CHANCE IT DESREVES!"

Not that I'm saying that will bother any Verbwhores, but it will happen.

Johnny Yesno

Prediction #238574:

I will have no idea what Predcition #238573 means or who it is aimed at.

Quote from: "TJ"the majority of Morris fans have got exactly what they wanted with this

And what is that exactly?  I don't really know any Morris fans off this board - is there something the majority are calling for, because everyone here wants to shit on the thing, and shit on anyone who doesn't want to shit on it.  I just want something good - I couldn't give a fig if it's outright funny, dark, off-kilter or even a jokeless drama about shoes as long as it's a decent piece of work.

Confession: I'm not expecting this to be much cop, either, but I'm prepared to entertain the possibilty that this expectation may be erroneous.  I'm not going to apologise for failing to offer an opinion on something I know little about.

Sorry, that all sounded sniffy and rantsome, it wasn't meant to.  Read it back, but imagine me with a red nose on while you do it.

butnut

Quote from: "Muteki"Cheers hamburger3!

Hot off a Talkback iPod...

Excellent! Splendid work!

Neville Chamberlain

This thread's absolutely ruddy awful. This is the biggest pile of smug, sneery, self-important crap I've ever read on CaB (which is saying something).

Darrell

Beagle 2

I predict I'll probably not even understand half the references and in-jokes on it and find myself damning it with faint praise, and then come on here and not understand half the references and in-jokes damning it  either, and just end up crying a bit.

So, as we know he's not exactly Mr. Publicity, which means he's pretty much got a free space in his diary for a good while (no mass tabloid hysteria or anyhing this time either), isn't there now a decent chance of him doing a bit of radio? It seems like this would be an ideal time to do something that wasn't part of some big stylised project or something, but just have a bit of an arse around for something to do. We know how much he likes doing it, I heard somebody on here say that the big-wigs are unhappy about him working for the beeb again, but surely that can't be the only thing blocking him? And it's not a case of "He will nevert do wot the fanz want him to you fool he iz a meeja terrirst", It's just something he enjoys doing and hasn't done for a while, so he might eh? There must be a stack of records he wants to play if nothing else.

God, I hope he's not thinking "well, movies is my next logical step..."

TJ

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "TJ"the majority of Morris fans have got exactly what they wanted with this

And what is that exactly?  I don't really know any Morris fans off this board - is there something the majority are calling for, because everyone here wants to shit on the thing, and shit on anyone who doesn't want to shit on it.  I just want something good - I couldn't give a fig if it's outright funny, dark, off-kilter or even a jokeless drama about shoes as long as it's a decent piece of work.

Confession: I'm not expecting this to be much cop, either, but I'm prepared to entertain the possibilty that this expectation may be erroneous.  I'm not going to apologise for failing to offer an opinion on something I know little about.

Sorry, that all sounded sniffy and rantsome, it wasn't meant to.  Read it back, but imagine me with a red nose on while you do it.

I was making a witty satirical joke which included pisstaking at my own expense, you jive sucker you...

TJ

Quote from: "Jim"This thread's absolutely ruddy awful. This is the biggest pile of smug, sneery, self-important crap I've ever read on CaB (which is saying something).

Erm... I could be mistaken, but I thought people were being ever so slightly tongue in cheek...

slim

Quote from: "Jim"This thread's absolutely ruddy awful. This is the biggest pile of smug, sneery, self-important crap I've ever read on CaB (which is saying something).
Isn't that the second dig you've had in this thread? Neil said this was meant to be a bit of fun, so why not just lighten up? I made my prediction on how I'd react to the show and so did others, it's only a bit of a laugh, you miserable sod.

Quote from: "TJ"I was making a witty satirical joke which included pisstaking at my own expense, you jive sucker you...

Precisely why I only quoted that one phrase - but it is a phrase I've read before on here, and I would like it quantified if it's all the same.  I'll be able to laugh at your satire if I understand its points of reference.

I've just re-read that last paragraph - I appear to have transmogrified into a humourless turd.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I'll be able to laugh at your satire if I understand its points of reference.

Here you go:

thebetabastard

Quote from: "Solid Snail"Do our predictions have to be as negative as we can possibly make them?

If so, I don't think I can be bothered.

Agreed...

the great j

The guy that writes the magazine but has contempt for its readers may be quite a good character in a Richard Geefe sort of way, so long as he isnt a virtual word for word rehashing like jam was of some blue jam sketches.  Then again I really liked the geefe columns but I get the impression that isnt the universal opinion from all the "he's been crap since Brass Eye/Day Today/Radio/leaving uni" views.

Out of interest, the article refers to BES attracting the second highest number of complains.  Anyone know what beats it?  Last temptation of christ, perhaps?

Kazuo Kiriyama

Quote from: "the great j"Out of interest, the article refers to BES attracting the second highest number of complains.  Anyone know what beats it?  Last temptation of christ, perhaps?

Yep. Here's the top 12:

1The Last Temptation of Christ (2001) - 1,554
2 Brass Eye (2001) - 992
3 Spitting Image (1992) - 341
4 UEFA Champions League trailer (2003) - 223
5 Living with Michael Jackson (2003) - 171
6 The Bill (2002) - 170
7 Queer As Folk (1999) - 163
8 Against Nature (1997) - 151
9 With Walls, Hell's Angel (1994) - 134
10 Undercover Britain (1998) - 123
11 This Morning (2001) - 117
12 Palestine is still the issue (2003) - 116

Ciarán2

It will strive too hard to be a mainstream sitcom, laughter track included and fail.

It will lead to a falling out between Morris and Brooker

Morris will get back to work

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Is it shot in a hand-held-camera documentary style? Or is it more glossy? Is it on film or video? Are there music stings under/between the scenes? Look/atmos-wise, which existing programme does it most resemble?

Genuine questions for those who have seen the tapes.

Peking O

Quote from: "Kazuo Kiriyama"4 UEFA Champions League trailer (2003) - 223

Eh? Sorry to derail, but anyone any idea why?

Quote from: "Peking O"
Quote from: "Kazuo Kiriyama"4 UEFA Champions League trailer (2003) - 223

Eh? Sorry to derail, but anyone any idea why?

It featured a stereotypical looking dirty mac wearing paedophile about to do the dirty with a bound and gagged eight year old but then becoming distracted by the start of a soccer match on the television - "Football... some things are just more important."

It was ironic but obviously some people just didn't get it.

the great j

Cheers Kazuo Kiriyama, though you now have my appetite wetted.  That champions league thing is hilarious, i'm now wondering what happened in the bill, spitting image and this morning to provoke such a reaction.  I dont have a tv so miss these things, you see.

weekender

At the risk of sounding serious, the Champions' League* complaint was actually about an advert featuring a young lad who misbehaved at his dinner table and got sent to his room.  Once there, he was free to watch the football, which is obviously why he misbehaved in the first place, the little cunt.

Apparently the people who complained were mainly parents, whose own children exhibited the same behaviour, hoping to get sent to their rooms in disgrace so that they too could watch football on their televisions.

Fucking spoilt bastards.  In my day it never did me any harm to be bound and gagged by a dirty old man who subsequently got distracted by the Arsenal etc etc, I never had a television in my room whatever blah blah blah

*That's another thing.  It's not the bloody Champion's League, it's the Champions' League.  If it was the former, it would be a league which belonged to 'The Champions'.  As they are all supposed champions, it's not, it's a league of champions, and therefore the league belongs to all of them.  So fuck off.

Kazuo Kiriyama

Sorry, should have linked to the original article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3327039.stm

It explains some of the choices.

JCBillington

Quote from: "weekender"*That's another thing.  It's not the bloody Champion's League, it's the Champions' League.  If it was the former, it would be a league which belonged to 'The Champions'.  As they are all supposed champions, it's not, it's a league of champions, and therefore the league belongs to all of them.  So fuck off.

But they are not all Champions - the old European Championship was contested between the League Champions of each partaking nations. The Champions' League is neither composed entirely of Champions - basically, the richer the country the more teams get in - nor is it a 'league', being a mixture of mini-leagues and a knockout tournament.

So not only is it punctuated incorrectly, it is also inaccurately named.

weekender

Good points.  What should it be called then?

slim

The European League and Knockout Cup of Fairly Good Teams and One of the Scottish Two.

Peking O