Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - February 2005

Started by Neil, December 08, 2004, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

First off, make sure you are tuned in to Radio 2 on Xmas Eve for some new radio work from VLS!  He is presenting a documentary about the late, great Jake Thackray which will feature "interviews with friends and rarely aired performances".  This should be a real Xmas highlight, do not miss.  

We've recently been filling up the Articles Database, especially the Armando Iannucci section, so you might want to give that a look.  Oh, we appear to be out of space for the Blue Jam episodes again, so you're going to have to get the torrents which weekender and gazzyk1ns have made available at http://www.uknova.com  You might also want to check the replies to the "Blue Jam Festival" update for other trackers.  Thanks as ever to Steve Bass2rez for the original captures.

Now on to the latest Nathan Barley stuff, first off a nice chap called Edward Hirst has let us know of some on-set photos he managed to take.  You can see these by visiting his site.  Someone who has asked not to be named has given us a nice bit of info, it would seem that the episodes are probably going to go out without titles, however the scripts apparently had "placemarker titles" which were as follows: Idiots, Preacher, Near Miss, Dave, Mandy and Win.

The date for transmission of this show has now been set, so come February 2005 we'll be able to see whether or not Chris Morris will ever again do anything as good as the 1993 GLR shows.  Someone who has asked to be identified as Clint Hyperhyperhyperwatchtick has kindly typed up their copy of the press release for us:

Nathan Barley set to air February 2005

A six part comedy series written by Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris is set to air in February 2005.

Nathan Barley is 26.  He is a Webmaster, guerrilla filmmaker, screenwriter, DJ and in his own words, a "self-facilitating media node".  He is convinced he is the epitome of urban cool and therefore secretly terrified he might not be, which is why he reads Sugar Ape Magazine - his bible of cool.

Dan Ashcroft writes searing columns for Sugar Ape.  He's considered astonishingly cool, but only by those he despises.  He is surrounded by idiots and practically worshipped by Nathan (whom he considers to be their king).  He is 34.  Why has he failed to move on?

Claire Ashcroft, 27, is Dan's sister.  Like Dan she despises "cool".  She hasn't met Nathan yet, but like him she is a film-maker.  Unlike him she despises novelty, trash, irony and gadgets.  She is furious that no one will fund her hard-hitting documentary about a choir of reformed junkies.

Nathan, Dan and Claire work in the industrial conversions of Hosegate.  They are about to become spliced together in a three way split.

Claire no longer listens to Dan - which is a shame since he'd be the best person to warn her about Nathan.

Claire is right about Dan; Dan is right about Nathan:  Nathan is just wrong.  He's an absolute fucking tool.

Based on that and the info that has circulated so far (see here for more) a few of us have tried to come up with predictions about what the show, and surrounding hype,  will be like.  Check this thread for details, including an exclusive peek at the theme tune lyrics!

weekender

Just on the Blue Jam episodes, gazzyk1ns did most of the hard work sorting out the Blue Jam torrent, so he deserves the credit for that.  Also, there's only Series 3 up on Uknova at the moment, although the other two series will be going up over the next week or so probably.

gazzyk1ns

Not to get into too much of a mutual arse-kissing session but but I don't deserve any more "credit" than 'ender there... we won't bore you with the details though.

We're hoping to get series 1 and 2 sorted on UK Nova too, as long as everyone (i.e. the encoders and CaB mods, who obviously provided us with the files in the first place!) has no problems with it.

gazzyk1ns

Arampus

C4 have shown a trailer for Nathan Barley, all very cut-up and fast. No dialogue. About 5 seconds long.

Dr David V

RichJohnston

Does Charlie love or hate me?

http://18hz.deid.net/sugarape/

Holed Up - Rich Johnston's comic book sitcom set amongst the separatist community in Idaho.

Great. Never even been to Hoxteth.

Shoreditch once. But only passing through.

lardybird

' huge reams' is velly bad inglish. 'reams' will do.  

tut tut old bean

kjhg

ignore my linkspamming please

Anonymous

In the recently published 'Labels Unlimited: Warp' book the discography section (page 186) hints at 3 possible forthcoming Morris releases. Catalogue numbers WARP118, WARP134 and WARP135 are all reserved for Chris Morris. details...

WARP118 - Chris Morris - Blue Jam 2 (not released)

WARP134 - On The Hour - Series One (no release date)
WARP135 - On The Hour - Series Two (no release date)

Christopher

Really sorry for posting in this thread, but I can't make my own.

Does anyone know when we will be able to register for the forums? Have they hit a maximum user count or did they get turned off for some other reason?

Again, sorry for using a random thread.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Anonymous"In the recently published 'Labels Unlimited: Warp' book the discography section (page 186) hints at 3 possible forthcoming Morris releases. Catalogue numbers WARP118, WARP134 and WARP135 are all reserved for Chris Morris. details...
There was some discussion of this in the Comedy Chat forum (which I believe you can read, although not post to) here, although the Blue Jam 2 one wasn't mentioned, so thanks for that!

Quote from: "Christopher"Does anyone know when we will be able to register for the forums? Have they hit a maximum user count or did they get turned off for some other reason?
Speaking as just another user, the answers are (a) I dunno...they were first shutdown in mid-October, then reopened on the 1st December before being closed again on the 17th December due to the problem recurring, so they'll probably be reopened again eventually; and (b) there's no maximum user count, it's not down to technical issues.

Quote from: "Christopher"Again, sorry for using a random thread.
I doubt it'll bother anyone too much, relax mate.

Christopher

Almost Yearly

Your sister kept getting her jubblies out uninvited.

Sorry, someone sensible will be along shortly to answer your perfectly mature and reasonable question, I'm quite sure.

slim

I know the answer, but I'm not telling because of course the only interest I have is in tormenting newbies. It's not because there might be a good reason for keeping schtum.

You big willy.

Almost Yearly

Aww, bless the good doctor.

<tickles Janek under the chin and lets forth a sickening torrent of protest defending cookdandbombd users>

TJ

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"I'm new here by the way, and I had the same problem a few weeks back. Let me be the first to set down very clearly that nobody around here knows why registrations have been turned off, when they'll be coming back on, or why anything like this happens at all.
But what about the moderators, you say? Well yeah, come on Neil, TJ etc...why does this keep happening? Don't you know either?

Well, you've clearly not been looking hard enough, because Neil and I have explained this countless times in the past - registrations are turned off without warning if a) a relentless spammer/troll/script kiddie/malevolent giant rodent keeps signing up and disrupting the boards despite us banning their accounts and deleting their posts or b) if (like in the first week of Nathan Barley's transmission) there's a massive flood of new registrations that threatens to exceed the bandwidth and/or corrupt the forum software.

Both perfectly reasonable if you ask me, although sometimes people seem determined to see conspiracy theories everywhere.

Christopher

OK, well then that's not cool.

If you keep getting twats coming here and being supercool you could always try the tactic they use with streakers now which is to just leave them. Then they don't really know what to do and eventually realise they look like a tit and get embarassed and just sulk off. If no one's running to catch them then they don't really have any purpose.

It's genius.

I think it's also possible to ban IPs from forums but I don't know how and you can probably get round it anyway.

Maybe you should have like an hour every week where you can sign up, then at least they'll only be able to open up a few accounts and you can delete them as soon as they start being a boob.

mayer

I think it's less the being a boob and more the script kiddies hacking the place to buggery.

I don't understand MySQL, but those little bastards do, and messing around with phpBB Admin stuff like banning IP addresses would stop them for all of a few minutes most probably.

Neil

The board and site are RIDICULOUSLY tempremental at the minute.  It'd be sheer stupidity to compound that by letting more people in.  Sorry!  When it settles then we will reopen them, although I also need to do an awful lot of work to the guts of the board so I might try and get that sorted first.

Jandek's Little Black Book: Your trolling is boring and distinctly amateurish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Neil"Still pitiful!

eh? what d'ya mean? don't get me wrong I think he's a cunt too :)  

just dont see what you mean bythat

Anonymous

Hello.

Seeing as how this is the only place I can post this, here's a spoof media publication me and others made a year or so ago. Recently rediscovered it and found it to be amusing (some bits probably more so than others). Only ever made two issues á la The Smokehammer, but anyway, enjoy - it's surely better than The Onion:

Issue 1
Issue 2

#2 is probably better.

Anonymous

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"I'm afraid they won't, Christopher. It'll be crap like that all the way. I think the point is that nobody knows why registrations keep getting turned on and off all the time...Let me be the first to set down very clearly that nobody around here knows why registrations have been turned off, when they'll be coming back on, or why anything like this happens at all.
Christ, what an absolute load of complete bollocks...the sheer presumption of your statement is breathtaking in itself.  It's so stupid, in fact, that I can only assume that it's an attempt to rile somebody into turning round and telling you the reason.

Still, I'll bite to some extent. Let ME say very clearly that - as a regular, if prolific, user of the site - I know EXACTLY why registrations have been turned off.  Something that, until the last few months, happened very very rarely indeed (maybe just once before?).

So why didn't I tell Christopher?  Well, to be honest, I'd like to.  And in fact, after my last post, I quietly asked one of the moderators if I should, but was advised that it was best if I left it for the time being.  I think the fear is that giving the reason out in public would only excerbate matters.  Personally, I think that information is usually best out in the open where possible, and that there'd probably be less harm in telling people, then there is in NOT telling people; since you'd get arguments either way.  However they disagree, and since it's their site, not mine, I feel somewhat obliged to follow their line on this.

And as slim said earlier, perhaps there are good reasons not to say apart from that.  I am somewhat of a blabbermouth at times, perhaps silence IS the best counsel.

Talking of whom, you said to him earlier:
Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"Really though, what possible good reason could there be? If it really is a good reason, then you could PM me with it, I'll agree, and you won't hear anything else from me on the subject. I'm serious, let's have your good reason.
I was genuinely thinking of taking you up on that but - given your attitude in the last few posts - is there any guarantee that you'd stick to it?

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"The moderators never seem to give a good reason for it...
Despite what TJ said later, I think that this IS broadly true, at least as far as announcements in here are concerned.  Sorry TJ.  I could be wrong.  Until your recent "...Neil and I have explained this countless times in the past - registrations are turned off without warning if..." post, I have never really seen it explained.

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"...and the members just pile on a load of stupid jokes.
Perhaps just trying to good-humouredly make light of the situation.  Probably not the wisest thing to do to a pissed-off person wondering why they can't sign-up, but there you go.

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"There seems to be a very Eton-esque attitude towards new people around here, I think that's probably because most cookdandbombd members come from conservative University backgrounds etc..
Eton?  Conservative?  Don't make me laugh!  "University", I might give you - even though I never went to one myself - but there's no crime in being well-educated.

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"...or there will be a sickening torrent of protest defending cookdandbombd users...
Whoops.

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"...but none of it will answer your question for the simple reason that nobody knows the answer to your question.
Again, bollocks.  Perhaps if you weren't quite so up yourself, people might be happier to tell you the reason if you asked nicely.

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"I'm new here by the way, and I had the same problem a few weeks back.
Yes, and one of the reasons they were turned back on again were to allow interesting-looking posters such as yourself to sign-up.  You've hardly given Neil & TJ an incentive to do it again, have you?  <VERY large wink>

EDIT:
Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"Seeking to secure a neat little term manufactured to negate contrary opinions to your own is pitiful.
Are you REALLY trying to insinuate that Neil closes registrations when he thinks he has a large-enough number of brainwashed posters that constantly agree with him, and that he does it simply to keep out anybody new who might have a contrary opinion?

Good God man, not only are you delusional if you really think that, but you also sound dreadfully familiar...