Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Panther.

Started by Glebe, June 10, 2017, 03:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's a shame that Killmonger got killmonged in this. When The Fantastic Four are finally folded into the MCU, they could have got all meta, with Michael B. Jordan and Chris Evans meeting the new Human Torch.

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on March 22, 2018, 04:35:30 PM

Also also as beautiful as Morena Baccarin and Brianna Hildebrand are, the lady playing Domino is fuckin' gawwwwjus

That is Van from Atlanta isn't it?

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on March 22, 2018, 03:14:06 PMAlso while I've mostly avoided the trailers, it looks like they're doing the sensible thing of having them all band up in separate teams (Thor with the Guardians, Cap and his mates, Tony and the Avengers) then meeting up for a big scrap at the end.

I guess it's probably what the fans want, but the big scrap at the end (aka big overlong fighty scene which fails to be sufficiently thrilling due to being mostly CGI) is frankly something I'd probably fast forward through if cinema seats came with fast forward buttons. It's probably a perverse viewpoint but tbh I find the fighting pretty much the least interesting thing about most superheroes.

samadriel

Quote from: bgmnts on March 22, 2018, 04:35:30 PM
Deadpool 2 trailer released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D86RtevtfrA

I do not know how they are going to somehow fit this Deadpool into the Disney Marvel Universe. So out of place and funny.

Maybe they could sell it as being part of an R-rated 'Marvel MAX' lineup, like they did with the comics. Then they could open Marvel Studios up to not only Deadpool, but all sorts of darker, bloodier material without compromising the mainstream Marvel stuff. Depends how tightly they want the Marvel name tied to stuff for kids, I guess, there's an awful lot of money in that reliability. Still, Deadpool and Logan proved there's money in superheroes with an R rating as well.

Mister Six

Quote from: olliebean on March 22, 2018, 09:38:00 PM
I guess it's probably what the fans want, but the big scrap at the end (aka big overlong fighty scene which fails to be sufficiently thrilling due to being mostly CGI) is frankly something I'd probably fast forward through if cinema seats came with fast forward buttons. It's probably a perverse viewpoint but tbh I find the fighting pretty much the least interesting thing about most superheroes.

Especially unfortunate that Black Panther also ended with a big melee fight on Wakandan grasslands.

Civil War, which was an Avengers movie in all but name, did a good job of making the fights distinctive and using the various superpowers in unique ways, so I hope they follow suit here.

Though having watched the Captain America movies with the missus last week, I have to say that the highway shootout in Cap 2 was far more exciting than anything in any other recent Marvel movie, probably because it actually looked real.

Straight Faced Customer

1) What was Martin Freeman doing in this?

Sure it's been discussed before, but I only saw this last week, and still can't believe that they needed a white face in this film, and of all the white faces to choose, they went with Tim from The Office, sitting in a spaceship playing shoot 'em up?

That last 'climactic battle' act was just typical Marvel fare, wasn't it? Bit of a letdown from what on the whole felt like a game-changer of genre cinema.

2) Why is Black Panther ruler of Wakanda, when clearly all the women under him were ten times stronger, regal and more charismatic? Some fantastic female roles in this, so good in fact that I had to agree with Kilmonger that the current king was a bit of a lame duck.

3) And what a lame duck. In a film full of amazing Wakanda technology, I was just amazed at how easily Panther let Ulysses and co get away each time in the back of a mass-produced 4-wheel vehicle. It literally happened twice - 'Oh, he's in a car now, damn. We can't keep up with that shit, people! Let's go home.'

Quote from: Straight Faced Customer on March 24, 2018, 07:43:18 AM
And what a lame duck. In a film full of amazing Wakanda technology, I was just amazed at how easily Panther let Ulysses and co get away each time in the back of a mass-produced 4-wheel vehicle. It literally happened twice - 'Oh, he's in a car now, damn. We can't keep up with that shit, people! Let's go home.'
That really stuck out to me. Civil War had him outrunning cars, but in this he just gives up the moment Klaw is bundled into a van. And wouldn't it have been pertinent for him to mention the fact that Killmonger was the one who freed Klaw in the first place?

newbridge

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 24, 2018, 03:52:10 PM
That really stuck out to me. Civil War had him outrunning cars, but in this he just gives up the moment Klaw is bundled into a van. And wouldn't it have been pertinent for him to mention the fact that Killmonger was the one who freed Klaw in the first place?

He doesn't give up, he gets knocked down/disabled by an unexpected blast from Killmonger's vibranium tech (the properties of which are never clearly defined).

Do you two miss the 45-minute car chase scene earlier in the movie?

I thought it was just a normal grenade. He's back on his feet in about five seconds.

phantom_power

This has just become the highest grossing superhero film of all time in the US, overtaking The Avengers. I think the death of Marvel is a way off yet

Here's one of those video essays about why the villains don't quite work. It does a better job of expressing my opinion than I can.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIB82Ap52g

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 25, 2018, 11:33:36 PM
Here's one of those video essays about why the villains don't quite work. It does a better job of expressing my opinion than I can.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIB82Ap52g

Good video. And interesting how he interprets Reese as begin a representation of Riddler in The Dark Knight, never heard thst suggested before... I mean, it's a little bit of a stretch, but I see where he's coming from.

Mango Chimes

It shouldn't take 12 minutes to say, "Should've had more Killmonger and less Klaue", tho'.

They do seem to waffle. The bit about The Riddler is rather a needless digression - as is the mention of Scarecrow, since he's only a cameo. When they do get to the point though, I think they hit the nail on the head.

Their video about Kung Fury is particularly rambling.

Head Gardener

"I'm a vibranium farmer, motherfucker!"

wooders1978

Saw this today - was promised "ground breaking" but was delivered formulaic marvel movie bollocks