Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Panther.

Started by Glebe, June 10, 2017, 03:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Blumf on October 18, 2017, 11:01:02 AM
If you look closely, you'll notice that Steve Martin has always been a black guy in white-face

Is that CGI?

Sin Agog

Stan Lee cameo as the ghost of Huey P. Newton.

Dr Rock

He should drive a Jaguar. A black one of course.

And a baddie should taunt him with 'Here Kitty Kitty'

'I see the cat has claws' will be a line in this movie.

Klaw making a joke about his weapon being handy? I won't bet on that one.

Blumf

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 10, 2018, 10:22:19 AM
He should drive a Jaguar. A black one of course.

Not a De Tomaso Pantera?

Glebe

madhair60

It would be funny if this released as Balck Panther and nobody had noticed the spelling error throughout the entirety of production.

Glebe

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2018, 10:50:23 AMIt would be funny if this released as Balck Panther and nobody had noticed the spelling error throughout the entirety of production.

I balck Black Panther.

Bad Ambassador

Is it time for another Dennis Nielsen joke?

Mister Six

Nowhere Man

Just curious if this is much cop or not. I'm getting mixed signals since the IMDB rating is already down to 6.9 but its been getting rave reviews everywhere else. Is it going to be like when all the critics raved about The Last Jedi, but it turned out to be a lot more divisive?

Edit: Wait, how the fuck has it got almost 7,000 ratings on IMDB already?!

Z

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 08, 2018, 08:41:58 PM
Just curious if this is much cop or not. I'm getting mixed signals since the IMDB rating is already down to 6.9 but its been getting rave reviews everywhere else. Is it going to be like when all the critics raved about The Last Jedi, but it turned out to be a lot more divisive?

There's a decent chance it's getting rave reviews elsewhere for similar reasons as Wonder Woman did.

It's a virtual guarantee it's getting a backlash on the IMDb rating from racists reacting to that possibility.

phantom_power

Yeah there is a campaign by the same bunch of twats who don't like females and ethnics in Star Wars films  that created a bot to drive down the Rotten Tomatoes score for The Last Jedi

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on October 18, 2017, 11:01:02 AM
If you look closely, you'll notice that Steve Martin has always been a black guy in white-face

Not a fan of The Jerk then, I take it.

Blumf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 08, 2018, 08:54:55 PM
Not a fan of The Jerk then, I take it.

Not his greatest supporter, but I wouldn't refer to him in that disrespectful way.

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on February 08, 2018, 08:53:17 PM
Yeah there is a campaign by the same bunch of twats who don't like females and ethnics in Star Wars films  that created a bot to drive down the Rotten Tomatoes score for The Last Jedi

I thought DC fans were also said to be behind trying to tank the movie's score.

phantom_power

I don't know. The only one I have seen own up to it is some knuckle-dragging anti-SJW tools

newbridge

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 08, 2018, 08:41:58 PM

Too many black mans and not enough 12-year-old Natalie Portmans.

Gonzo

Paul Joseph Watson and his followers think the reviewers are genuine. Such is the power of Brain Force Plus.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/961722634185699328

Meanwhile...

Nothing to see here. Just a mixed reaction.

phantom_power

That is a ridiculous amount of 1 star reviews. And the fucking thing isn't even out yet is it? You would think they would at least wait until there was a film out there to review before starting their campaign. Bellends

Sin Agog

That's what Marvel get for choosing to do all their preview screenings in South Carolina.

Dr Rock

At https://letterboxd.com/film/black-panther-2018/ it gets 3.9/5 (7.8/10) from 429 votes. Only one half a star vote and the scores are distributed evenly. That's probably legit.

Bad Ambassador

When looking at the IMDb review bar graph, I always ignore the 1 and 10 votes, but there's usually a bulge in the middle, rather than at either end. Wait until the thing's in cinemas and it should even out a little.

Dr Rock

Nevertheless IMDb has become compromised by the battle to get certain films higher or lower scores with one or ten votes. Letterboxd is more reliable, I'm now finding.

phantom_power

Does anyone actually look at user IMDB/RT ratings for a new film anyway? I usually read a few reviews from people I trust and look at the RT critics score, and even then I take it all with a pinch of salt

bgmnts

Was never interested in Black Panther as a kid. As an adult I'm very interested in it, not in terms of the character, he seems boring, the situation and setting. A powerful African state that is the sole source of one of the most sought after elements on earth. Thats great!

Although according to Annabel Rackham at the BBC:

QuoteHaving a plot based around a black superhero with a predominantly black cast isa first for Marvel, but the film builds on this concept in a massive way.

Surely the Luke Cage tv show has a mostly black cast and that came out a few years ago.

Bazooka

"The film builds on this concept in a massive way" well no shit.

Dr Rock

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2018, 10:25:25 AM
Was never interested in Black Panther as a kid. As an adult I'm very interested in it, not in terms of the character, he seems boring, the situation and setting. A powerful African state that is the sole source of one of the most sought after elements on earth. Thats great!

And it goes all the way back to the character's introduction by Lee & Kirby in Fantastic Four #52, in 1966. Not only did they introduce the first black, african superhero, they didn't take the obvious route and make him someone from a backwards culture, they made him ruler of an African country that was technologically ahead of ours. Meanwhile this was happening

Motel manager pouring acid in the water when black people swam in his pool

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2018, 10:25:25 AM

Although according to Annabel Rackham at the BBC:

Surely the Luke Cage tv show has a mostly black cast and that came out a few years ago.

Blade is a Marvel comic too, although I guess it wasn't a majority black cast, just the main character and his love interest.