Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:44:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Panther.

Started by Glebe, June 10, 2017, 03:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2018, 10:25:25 AM
Was never interested in Black Panther as a kid. As an adult I'm very interested in it, not in terms of the character, he seems boring, the situation and setting. A powerful African state that is the sole source of one of the most sought after elements on earth. Thats great!

They should do a low-fi version of it where his country supplies the main material needed to make mobile phones and instead of being incredibly wealthy the country is torn apart by civil war, rape, and children forced to join militias.

bgmnts

Yeah didn't even want to go into the comics histories as thats 75 years old almost, just wondered why she excluded the Luke Cage series as the first major black marvel thing on screen.

Blade was always ace though. I'd be excited if they made a new Blade.

Dr Rock

They (Netflix?) are doing a Cloak and Dagger show, Cloak is black.

ieXush2i

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2018, 10:25:25 AM
Surely the Luke Cage tv show has a mostly black cast and that came out a few years ago.

She's talking about the MCU, which doesn't incorporate the Netflix series.

Bad Ambassador

The Netflix series are part of the MCU, they just don't reference it much.

Mister Six

I think she probably just doesn't know about Luke Cage, or - rightfully - made herself forget it ever happened.

newbridge

Nobody wants to acknowledge Leonard Part 6 as the first black superhero movie. Unjust.

Dr Rock

Gwen Taylor on ITV

The first black superhero was the kindly old man in Disney's Song of the South.

Glebe

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on February 09, 2018, 04:42:59 PMThe first black superhero was the kindly old man in Disney's Song of the South.

His superpower was escaping slavery in the cotton fields.

biggytitbo

Jesus was the first black superhero actually.

CaledonianGonzo

Cheddar Man would have kicked his ass.

Dr Rock

CaledonianGonzo

SteveDave

I saw this last night and it was OK. It was another film that didn't need to be 2 and 1/2 hours long though. The first 45 minutes dragged a bit and could've been done in 10. It was funnier than I thought it'd be- the sister/Q character was the highlight for me.

Why was Tim from the Office playing an American? Are there no American actors anymore?

I was expecting the worst but it was the best behaved cinema audience I've been in for years. People applauded when Michonne made Get Out drop his knife.

Enrico Palazzo

I was pretty bored. The people around me seemed pretty bored. Following the very enjoyable Thor movie probably didn't help.

CaledonianGonzo

Overlong?  Didn't feel it from this perspective, but I guess you could argue it's over-stuffed with characters and you could edit out - say the Queen Mum - and not really lose a lot.

A better film than Thor Ragnarok from my POV, which is a lightweight bit of fluff comparatively speaking.  The villain in this one actually has a point.  He's right.

SteveDave

It is also basically Black Iron Man. Lead character has access to amazing tech and issues with his dad. And it ends the same.

CaledonianGonzo

Only very superficially, and even then the basic building blocks of the story are different.  Tony Stark spends the first hour in a cave building a suit whilst the first act of this is more or less a James Bond pastiche.  And it's got a lot more to say for itself politically.

samadriel

Yeah, it's a massive stretch to call this Iron Man.

Better soundtrack than usual.

SteveDave

I don't think it is a stretch. Wonder suit. Can take bullets. Beard. His JARVIS is his sister. He's just missing the quips. He'll become the head of the Avengers when Tony gets murdered to death/sacrifices himself in the Infinity Wars. 

CaledonianGonzo

Only if Batman's not available.

Paaaaul

Put me in the bored camp.
Despite going out of its way to look different and fresh, I've seen a huge amount of this film in other films, much more so than other Marvel films.

CaledonianGonzo

The plot's got some familiar beats, yeah.  The final act shares a few similarities with Hamlet The Lion King.  It's the setting, characters, aesthetic and surprising political thoughtfulness that make it fresh.  And the fucking rhinos.

Edit: And the fact that the main ensemble have charisma by the shedload. It's a cast of future superstars.

colacentral

I thought the first 40 minutes or so were horrendous. It picked up considerably from there though, only really faltering with that awful CGI fight scene at the end. Half of the audience I saw it with laughed at how bad one bit looked. It just needed the caption "Not actual gameplay footage" to complete the look.

Tim from The Office can't do an American accent to save his life. It was shite in Fargo and it's still shite here.

My other big criticism is in some of the cinematography. Every now and again, especially near the start, there'd be shots filmed using particular types of HD camera that made it look like a BBC nature documentary. Not sure why, it looked crap.

This sounds like I'm complaining alot but I liked it overall. It wasn't as good as any of last year's Marvel releases though (Guardians 2, Spider-Man, Thor 3), and I'm expecting to like Avengers 3 and Ant-Man 2 better, despite hating the first two Avengers.

colacentral

I also think that, although the villain is one of the better villains in these Marvel films, with sympathy from the audience and an understandable motive, they missed a trick by making his master plan be essentially white genocide and by making him such a massive wanker. If he emphasised that the idea was just to take back the wealth that had been stolen from Africa (and maybe even the Middle East) by the West, and made the point that the theft still goes on today, then they could have had a villain there that you wanted to win. I thought they were going this way after the London museum scene, but they dropped that thread in favour of a more generic "evil whitey" thing. I suppose that's Disney / Hollywood not wanting to get too political, especially when it's criticising the west.

Even if you agreed with the villain, you couldn't get behind him cos he kept acting like a cock the entire time. It would only take a little tweak here and there to make him more likeable while still being recognisably The Villain.

The Culture Bunker

I enjoyed it - though I do agree that making the main bad dude a bit less of a prick might have made him more effective/sympathetic. But then I guess if he had stepped up to looking like he'd be a good King, it wouldn't give the momentum for yer man coming back to reclaim the throne.

Was surprised how I wasn't at all irritated by Martin Freeman, even with slightly ropey accent.

Custard

Saw this today

First 20 minutes are pretty slow and boring, but towards the middle I was really getting into it.

Likeable cast of characters, a fairly interesting villain, and the action scenes are very good. The chase scene in particular

Liked how they tied it into Civil War, and yet kept it free of needless cameos, sticking to the main cast. Quite refreshing for a Marvel

Black Panther himself is just fucking cool. Like a nimble Batman with claws. Blokey playing him is very likeable too

Sister character was ace, as was Lupita, who is just insanely beautiful. Angela Bassett was wasted, in a nothing character

Andy Serkis was ace in his small amount of screentime. He seemed to be enjoying his old self, too

Yeah, I really liked it. Lop off the first 20 and it's the best Marvel I've seen in a fair while. It did genuinely feel different and fresh, and a bit unpredictable

spamwangler

liked this, espescially the bit where serkis says, 'FAKING GANGBANGERS, YOU GOTTA LOVE EM!'