Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:59:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2017

Started by Shay Chaise, June 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

Would laugh if this turns out to be Root's version of Ponting's "We'll have a bowl mate".

Much better Test so far today. Bit of interest in the pitch and a largely better approach from India, digging in and leaving well.

This is proper cricket. Looks like a bad decision to put them in but I think they've played really well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Felt like a dumb decision from the word go.

I don't get why teams think "oh they wont want to bat", that's all they will have been talking about since the last test. We should bat, make them chase the game and hopefully benefit from the lack of focus on the bowling.

Once they get to bat the pressure is on them, bat well or lose the series

Anyway, overconfidence. We aren't out of the test but the decision to field hasn't worked

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: monolith on August 18, 2018, 12:20:15 PM
Would laugh if this turns out to be Root's version of Ponting's "We'll have a bowl mate".

Australia did bowl us out on day one and only lost by 2 runs

Hussain's decision to field at the Gabba was far worse

monolith

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 19, 2018, 06:37:54 AM
Australia did bowl us out on day one and only lost by 2 runs

Hussain's decision to field at the Gabba was far worse
We scored 400 runs on that first day after they'd just had their best fast bowler of all time injured. It was a moronic decision and whether 2 runs or 200 runs it still cost them the series as that was the turning point.

And regarding this game it was foolish of Root, as you say with scoreboard pressure that would have done even more to demoralise them and put their bats under pressure. I wouldn't ever put the opposition in to bat if I won the toss. Teams win more often if they bat first, particularly in recent times and even if conditions are suited to bowling and it's a borderline decision, more often than not you will win if you bat first. So don't gamble, win the toss, bat first.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It wasn't even the pivotal moment of the game, let alone the series.

monolith

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 19, 2018, 08:44:43 AM
It wasn't even the pivotal moment of the game, let alone the series.
You're probably the first cricket fan (I'm assuming you've been a fan for years) I've ever spoken to who sees it that way but each to their own.

Agree about Hussain though.

Also goes to show that people remember the bad decisions to bowl. Can't recall off the top of my head any famous "lets have a bat" fuck ups.

biggytitbo

Will there ever be a point where I stop finding the name Bumrah funny?

iamcoop

AIDS has remerged with a vengeance.

thraxx

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 19, 2018, 12:38:37 PM
Will there ever be a point where I stop finding the name Bumrah funny?

Bowled Bumrah, Caught Pants.

thraxx

Follow on a possibility here...

iamcoop

monolith

At least Stokes is back for Curran though.

rjd2

Quote from: iamcoop on August 19, 2018, 03:49:49 PM
Fucking pathetic.

Absolutely dirt isn't it?

This will be aftertiming, but pleased India persisted with Pandya, raw but unfair how much criticism he copped when you consider the top 6 bar Kohli have been hopeless outside Asia since he started test cricket.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Horrific decision to field, repeating the same mistakes, no learning, no progress.

thraxx

Pure shit again this morning and Bairstow is fucked to boot.

On the plus side there appears to be a Masai Warrior with a 6 pack of crisps in the crowd which has cheered me up.

monolith

Be interesting if Bairstow is out for a bit. Knowing England if Buttler does a brilliant job with both bat and gloves then they'll still bring Johnny B straight back as keeper batsmen as wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.

BlodwynPig

This is what happens when you allow violent criminals a reprieve.

thraxx

Can't believe that a) we put them in to bat, b) curran was left out for Stokes.  They should have left our Rashid.  Swann himself (even though he's a wanker) says that Trent Bridge is the worst English test ground for spin.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: monolith on August 20, 2018, 03:01:17 PM
Be interesting if Bairstow is out for a bit. Knowing England if Buttler does a brilliant job with both bat and gloves then they'll still bring Johnny B straight back as keeper batsmen as wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.

Wouldn't you?  Bairstow's a much more consistent batsman and his wicketkeeping's been very good for a few years now.  If anyone's been treated poorly by England in recent years, it's him. 

monolith

Buttler is still the better keeper I feel. Bairstow is one of our best batsman and deserves to be in the team on batting merit alone (jury is out on whether Buttler does a job with just the bat).

If it wasn't for that wonder catch by Cook then a very basic catch would have gone by without our keeper even going for it. Buttler would have snagged it (robbing us of said wonder catch though!).

thraxx

Jennings is completely fucking useless with the bat and with the ball.  That missed catch should be his 'Chris Read ducking Cairn's slower ball' moment and he should be fucked of out the team forever.

iamcoop

Absolute fucking dross.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What exactly does Bayliss need to do to get sacked. Fabrace and Flower too. The whole show is stale and threadless. A fucking chimp could set Anderson and Broad off with the new ball in England and win 2/3 test matches. Our decline soon won't be able to be masked by their performances.

gilbertharding

What does the weather look like tomorrow?

monolith

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 21, 2018, 03:39:06 PM
What does the weather look like tomorrow?
Despite a great session there I would still be surprised if this goes to a 5th day.