Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2017

Started by Shay Chaise, June 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poo

thraxx

Fucking disgraceful match by England.

Root didnt have the guts to change a winning team: Ballance and Dawson should never have played this match.

They both have to go for the next match. Replace Ballance and another batter cor Dawson, if you have to play 2 spinners then it has to be Rashid, as flaky as he is.

Wood also has to go. I like him a lot, but he's either unlucky or his style doesn't seem to work at this level. He's fast, skiddy and accurate enough but the ball doesn't seam or swing. If he could do one of those hed be amazing. Who comes in? Finn?

Finally, Jennings also has to go. Been a while since I've seen such a brittle and starchy opening batsman. Who the fuck replaces him though?

As for Root, he needs to be quite clear that the aim is to occupy the crease and grind.  We aren't good enough to be aggresive and greedy run scorers. In any case, I would argue that grinding out 80 over 60 balls is far more aggresive than 40 or 50 in as many balls. We are crying out for 1 or 2 more bloody minded arses who can bat for hours and get on the fielding team's tits that way. Only Cook even knows how to do that in this team.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Loving the reactionary stuff going on right now. Drop half the team. South Africa had a better side in the last test and we hammered them. Slow down. We haven't got the luxury of dropping Jennings or Ballance, indeed it's important they get game time to bed in.

It was all about one dodgy batting performance having lost the toss, that's where the game was lost. Yes, the fourth innings performance was the same kind of shit test teams have done for decades, but it was our first innings where we lost the game, lost our self-belief. Day 3 we were really just going through the motions, professionally but lacking belief and inspiration.

Yes, think about replacing Dawson with someone likely to add runs...or add anything. We have no obligation to make Ali feel like he isn't our main spinner, he obviously is. But how about Samit Patel if Ali wants to be such a crybaby? Failed with England a number of times but bowls perfunctory spin and has some huge scores in county cricket lately.

thraxx

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 18, 2017, 08:01:04 AM
Loving the reactionary stuff going on right now. Drop half the team. South Africa had a better side in the last test and we hammered them. Slow down. We haven't got the luxury of dropping Jennings or Ballance, indeed it's important they get game time to bed in.

It was all about one dodgy batting performance having lost the toss, that's where the game was lost. Yes, the fourth innings performance was the same kind of shit test teams have done for decades, but it was our first innings where we lost the game, lost our self-belief. Day 3 we were really just going through the motions, professionally but lacking belief and inspiration.

Yes, think about replacing Dawson with someone likely to add runs...or add anything. We have no obligation to make Ali feel like he isn't our main spinner, he obviously is. But how about Samit Patel if Ali wants to be such a crybaby? Failed with England a number of times but bowls perfunctory spin and has some huge scores in county cricket lately.

Dropping Jennings and Ballance isn't a reaction to a thumping, it's justifiable action to take after their recent performances, more so for Ballance obviously.  I agree that much of the issue is in the way the team went about the game against a well drilled SA side.

I still don't believe that Ali is good enough with bat or ball, though Patel is the only obvious other option and he's not great either.  I'm quite harsh and think that Ali is what used to be called a bits and pieces cricketer. A slighly upgraded version of Robert Croft with a beard?

The main thing is that the team bat properly instead of like morons.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Although seeing as you've dropped half the team, it will be difficult to win the series unless you name a new one.

There's an art to realising sometimes mediocre/okay at best is the best we have right now, and that's certainly true in the case of many you've earmarked. Do we pick Buttler, Foakes, Finn again? Recall Sam Robson?

ollyboro

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 18, 2017, 08:01:04 AM

If England had won the toss Root would have still put Africa in. A green pitch on a low cloudy day. We lost so heavily because we batted like ill disciplined cunts, and if Dawson's the answer.....fuck knows what the question is.

poo

Just don't throw away your wicket like a cunt. This ain't pyjama cricket.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Got your wishes anyway, Ballance is out injured for the next test.

The cupboards are a tad bare.

Cook
Jennings
Root
Bairstow
Patel
Stokes
Ali
Buttler
Broad
Anderson
Finn

Would be my slightly underwhelming team. If anyone thinks Stoneman is suddenly up to it they must be crazy.

poo

Get Alan Mullally out of retirement ASAP

rjd2

Well done England, that was a great final.

Bit of a choke that from India, but not a huge shock when you consider their lack of experience in such a scenario. Top work though by Shrubsole at the end though. Pleased that its not just India and Australia trashing everyone anymore, India, South Africa and New Zealand all look pretty useful these days.

Cracking World Cup that.

poo

Yes wish old been there for semi and final - atmos looked great.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Enormous fuck-a-ball hundred from David Willey in the t20, 118 of 55. There's someone with phenomenal batting talent in limited overs who we are wasting. Really don't get how someone hasn't grabbed hold of him to finesse his innings, even slightly. That's Buttler/ABDV levels of destruction.

iamcoop

Quote from: rjd2 on July 23, 2017, 06:27:24 PM
Well done England, that was a great final.

Bit of a choke that from India, but not a huge shock when you consider their lack of experience in such a scenario. Top work though by Shrubsole at the end though. Pleased that its not just India and Australia trashing everyone anymore, India, South Africa and New Zealand all look pretty useful these days.

Cracking World Cup that.

I don't remember being that tense and engrossed in a game of cricket for a long, long time. When Gunn dropped that catch I thought I was gonna have a fucking heart attack.

What a fantastic tournament. It had some magnificent games and was far more exciting and watchable than the Champions trophy.

I really felt for India. By all accounts they didn't even have a fielding coach until weeks before the tournament, and their captain Mithali Raj seems like a class act.

I must be becoming an old sap but it felt quite emotional seeing the reaction of the crowd and what this could hopefully do in terms of pushing the women's game forward.

Now sit back and watch the ECB do absolutely FUCK ALL to capitalise on the momentum. It'll be like 2005 all over again.

Gurke and Hare

Cricinfo seem to have got rid of the little pop-out scorecard they had before they redesigned the site since the last test. Fuckers.

There was also no way of looking at fixtures for a week, but I think they've fixed that. The banner at the top takes up half the page so you can only read 5 lines of a story at a time.

I guess I'm behind the times using a computer, it takes much longer to load now with the infinite scroll style. Having said that the app didn't work either last time I checked.

Look at me mum, I'm complaining about an update.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A bit of late swing and nibble off the seam out there. Time for Stuart Broad to win us a test match with one of his stormers?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yee haa.

Roland Jones certainly looks at home in these conditions. Gus Fraser MK II. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

51-6 - and Philander in the hospital!

Wow... I thought we'd have a chance today but gone much better than expected. Reminds me of the 2015 Ashes where we were scraping par scores then doing the business with the ball.

Anderson loving this right now. I love a caught and bowled - the most satisfying kind of dismissal as a bowler, sort of like getting a penalty in off a rebound.

iamcoop

Excellent from England but South Africa have been poor. This is the way test cricket's going to be now isn't it? Some frightening statistics on TMS about second innings scores recently. Great to watch but ultimately seems a bit hollow and unrewarding.

Mr Eggs

Has Vernon got the shits again?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hollow and unrewarding? Hmm not sure about that. Watching Stokes murder their bowlers then literally right after that watching their best batsmen get out, was pretty good. After the punishment of Trent Bridge it was richly enjoyable. We bowled pretty well, too. S.A missing Smith/Kallis/AbDV all batsmen who things just didn't happen to, they made plans for each eventuality. Even though Amla goes through zen periods of brilliance he's another who can just unexpectedly hoik itnall away.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Honestly not sure how Jarrod Kimber has a job for cricinfo, his articles are staccato and unreadable. The latest is basically 'a shit description of what happened with the sign off referencing the headline'.

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 28, 2017, 07:08:22 PM
Has Vernon got the shits again?

Unless there's a toilet on it, every corridor is a corridor of uncertainty at the moment for poor Vern.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Amla gone. I thought we declared unnecessarily late, but weird innings from him. Didn't look quite like he was up for it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What a ball from Stokes. Turning into a procession now.

rjd2

Think I'd be binning Kuhn if I was South African, old and looks average. They have a few young batsman in the squad who are highly rated, won't be much of a downgrade if either Makram or De Bruyn were brought in. I'd also have Bavuma up the order, can see of the new ball and De Kock needs to be more flexible.

No issue with him batting at 4 when in a strong position, but not when they lose early wickets. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thought De Kock was ready for tests full on like the other wunderkind but still a way off on this evidence. Flat track bully? Setting myself up for a massive ton from him on Friday.

Bavuma has a good ticker but not sure yet. Habit of getting out when set. Steve Smith got over that. Looks calm amd well organized but right now you just feel he's gonna chuck his wicket away in half an hour.

Remember how shit Elgar used to look? Come a long way. That was a nails innings.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

For all the grumbling about losing the art of test batting, how about the art of preparing an even vaguely interesting wicket? Something England generally do, but another road in Columbo and another SL thrashing coming up. I would say bore draw but SL are shitter now than at any point in the last 25 years.

All the more reason to inspect subcontinent players away test averages very closely.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nice day's cricket, that. Rabada's yorker is a beaut. Just felt England shot themselves in the foot at times but there was some shithot bowling today, can't complain with 260-6 on Day 1, a truly English Day 1 scorecard.

Mr Brightside

Wonder how long de Kock will stand. Heh.