Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2017

Started by Shay Chaise, June 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Back to being pisstakingly good for Ali today then.

rjd2

Ali has probably been the best player of the series. Not a lot of pity for Saffers, very sloppy , fielding has been dreadful and not a good look for the star batsman that at times Rabada and Philander have outfought them.

Ali had a monster series. It's strange to think that Liam Dawson was the first spinner in the opening game of the series.

England's batting is really in a mess. Who on earth will get a go to open vs. The Windies. Hameed? Stoneman? Hales? What do they do with Malan? Do they give him another series?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Why not, we beat a team with a quality bowling lineup despite nearly being 3 batsmen down. Morkel/Rabada/Philander/Olivier and Maharaj was a real test and they snuffed out who was weak mentally and technically.

Dropping Malan already would be entering Illingworth-era levels of psychosis. I thought he actually looked more talented than Westley or Jennings, confident character and has good pedigree. Westley seems to be a combo of Compton and Trott but with less talent than either. Organised, probably see through a few balls but won't score heavily. Jennings is like asking a tail ender to open the batting at the moment, just almost absurdly bad. He was obviously affected by the pressure which was unfair to start with. I'd almost just stick with him now and see if he can get through it like Gooch did, and later Bairstow.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

New opener lasted 6 balls. That's opening for you. Jaffer.

Pink ball jagging about but the pitch looks flat.

Cuellar

Knowing the ECB that'll be the end of Stoneman's test career.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Weird starting a test at afternoon session tempo with a slight 'hangover' type lethargy. Definitely going to have more aggressive cricket out of it.

monkfromhavana

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thursday

The West Indies aren't much good at cricket.

Thursday

Can we make them do another follow on anyway if they're still over 200 runs behind after 2 innings?

greenman

Took 14 wickets to pass the score of Englands opening batsman.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Windies really look poor.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Worst lot since Ganga/Morton/Joseph era, and even they had Chanders, Gayle, Sarwan, Dwayne Bravo propping them up.

I thought they were on their way back around 2011 and as people have said, there is basically a better side in theory out there but not playing. They are very good at T20 cricket and competitive in ODIs. They can play cricket but are essentially playing a second team. Braithwaite, Chase, Roach and Gabriel if fit are test standard...the others....pfff...

They had a tough job because England are coming off a test series where we had to play to our highest level to win.

Hopefully Windies win the toss and bat first next test on an ok batting wicket.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

SL playing India again in the one dayers as seemingly happens every three months.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Here is the 'World XI' touring Pakistan as they seek to re-establish themselves as a country hosting international cricket.

QuoteWorld XI squad: Faf du Plessis (captain, South Africa), Hashim Amla (South Africa), Samuel Badree (West Indies), George Bailey (Australia), Paul Collingwood (England), Ben Cutting (Australia), Grant Elliott (New Zealand), Tamim Iqbal (Bangladesh), David Miller (South Africa), Morne Morkel (South Africa), Tim Paine (wicketkeeper) (Australia), Thisara Perera (Sri Lanka), Imran Tahir (South Africa), Darren Sammy (West Indies).

I'm not sure why this is half South Africa (or why Paul Collingwood is there given he stopped playing international cricket yonks ago)

Come on Faisal, let's pop down to the World XI game - I hear Grant Elliott's going to be playing.

Anyway let's hope they don't get car bombed or abducted or whatever.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Slightly worried this test might not even be going on for longer than lunch on Day 3, the day I've got a ticket for.

Fuck sake, now the sight screen is broken!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bowling Bishoo for six overs all innings the throwing him on as a nightwatchman vs the new ball

Fuck they must really hate him

Hahahaha Brathwaite just took a single from the first ball of the over

England have got to call up another batsman for the final test. Couldn't really understand what either Westley or Malan were doing today. Westley already looks to be found out at this level, ala James Vince, and Malan was imitating a test match innings when arguably a flashy 30 or 40 would've been more valuable to the innings.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I noticed during the wicket celebration the team regulars were celebrating with each other and the newbies/also rans were left either on the periphery or separated. Kind of summed it up.

Whatever the coaches are saying to them, it's clearly not a healthy environment for new players to prosper.

poo

Great stuff. Love the Windies.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That was some actual test batting yesterday. Knew Brathwaite was good but surprised he got the runs at a good rate, and Hope seems to have some talent. Have to ask where this came from though.

Thought we bowled absolute garbage after the first hour to be honest. Woakes using this as a rehab game bowled one good over then loads of shite, Broad came back well but was crap when it mattered, Stokes lumbered with the old ball and set batsmen, Ali turned two balls.

Even if Windies get 400, such is the advantage of batting first I'd still say England were favourites.

thraxx

Glad to see the Windies can put on a good show.  One, because I fucking love the Windies, two because we need a stern test for the Ashes.  Stoneman and Malan so far looking like they will book themselves on the place and I think Westerly or whatever the fuck he's called blew it today.  Can't believe how many edges there have been in this test either out-and-out dropped, or dropped short of this slips. Mush be in the dozens now.  Windies fielding is still shit, even their keeper.

Why the fuck aren't they bowling Bishoo?  7 overs in the test and one this innings?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Great day out, best weather at a Headingley test I can remember and easily the most competitive day's cricket. Windies are fighting their arses off out there and it's great to see, typified by Holder who is limited but struck a brave doughty 40 and bowled with good control to the point where England were scoring zero runs off him.

Windies have never lost a test where they had an advantage of 134 or more after both teams have batted. Their lead was 35 runs more than that. Yet somehow, I just think they might lose this one. However it is really well poised tomorrow and each run really, really matters. Evenly matched test cricket is a great game.

Westley looked all over the shop and seems to be another failed pick, sadly. I know people don't like Ballance but he's clearly better than Westley, and has a record to prove it, even if he has technical faults.

Malan looks like he's having to rein himself in because of the pressure to score runs, and it's making him bat worse. He's a shot maker, aggressive and plays well by getting his eye in attacking. Will England give him the chance? We were saying during the day how established players can get away with not scoring runs for 10-12 tests yet brand new ones get ditched after half that. It's high time we slowed down (but probably got rid of Westley and didn't recall Jennings). And pray Hameed scores some runs.

Celeb spotting, I saw Bresnan with some old geezers yesterday morning while I walking back from my girlfriend's past the ground and Michael Vaughan signing autographs for kids who I was surprised knew who he was.

Interesting first day in Bangladesh:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41972

If Smith goes early tomorrow...oooh that would set things up sweetly. Come on you tigers

poo

Brilliant test match. C'mon the Windies!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also: Australia 167-8!!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Windies fans won't be surprised to hear they've thrown in two bad sessions right when it counted.

Lead of 133, 6 wickets to go. 2 hours left to give them a decent chance of winning this test.

thraxx

Yeah, totally wasted the new ball, really eccentric behaviour of the team on the pitch in between balls, new ball, fielding changes etc...  it was looking like an England tied on victory with those two batsmen set.  Mind you, Stokes played a really poor shot there when he holed out and the Windies now have a second bite of the cherry.  I've loved Malan's innings, love to see a good grind.  He's a good leaver and grabs anything going even slightly down leg.

How the fuck was there a drone floating over the pitch with all those planes coming right over the ground.  Don't remmeber headingly being under a flight path? And why are sky doing all this veneration of David Lloyd.  I like Lloyd but stop fucking pretending he's some kind of mad genius.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Headingley has been like that for years. We were watching the planes coming face on every 15 minutes. Must have seen about 20 planes yesterday including an unmarked military aircraft with twin engines. The drone isn't a problem as that was several thousand feet lower and about the size of a pizza box with propellers. Sad to see the blimp go they always used to put up in the park near my old house at uni.

That Malan wicket changes things quite a bit. England still need another 100 runs, I reckon.

thraxx

Yep, need at least 250 on this wicket as there plenty of runs for those willing to work and grind.  Shit, now Bairstow has gone it's swung right back to the Windies.  We are basically looking at Moeen to get at least 50 here and then come out and bowl like a demon like he did in that match against the Sithers.  The pitch is making Chase look World Class. 

Really fucking poor shot by Bairstow.

I'm interested in planes.  What colour was this military plane, what size was it, and was it jet or prop engines?