Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:53:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2017

Started by Shay Chaise, June 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

Roach has been staggeringly shite today both in his line and insistence of going round the wicket.  Moeen exactly the batsmen you need to feast on it.  If he can get 50-60 we'll win this.

poo

Great game this. Ben Stokes cover drive -  *initiate turbo wank*

thraxx

A really good advert for test cricket, not only is it quite tight, but there are loads of barking mad moments like Brathwaite opening the bowling after tea.

Woakes look like a CBBC presenter.

Thursday

I definitely did not anticipate us being in a position to declare, even a couple of hours ago.

rjd2

Think its a needless funky declaration sadly. I'd have let them keep batting, yep the West Indies are average, but this score gives them a small chance especially with Broad and Woakes out of form.

Mr Eggs

The Fazeer Mohammed Calypso on TMS was a MOMENT. Proper TMS.

rjd2

Class declaration lads.

thraxx

Fuck's sake.  Cook drops another fucking dolly.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well done Windies, that was well deserved! Chasing 322, just got to say hats off, especially to Hope and Brathwaite who were on another level to anyone else. For whatever reason, aside Jimmy in the first innings, our bowlers didn't extract much. Doesn't fill me with confidence heading to a load of flat wickets in Australia.

Shai Hope being the first batsman in the history of cricket to score 2 centuries at Headingley in the same game has a most unlikely ring to it.

rjd2

Pretty much all the media defending Root's absurd declaration is very depressing. I hope though he knows it was unneeded and it has backfired on them.

Both teams got what they deserved out of the match, England as the declaration proved were incredibly arrogant throughout, they forgot that while obviously they are better than the West Indies, they aren't world beaters. West Indies were really brave, that was serious criticism last week, but Kraigg and Hope and others really battled hard and what a chase. The Blackwood cameo was glorious, a mental of a cricketer, but so entertaining to watch, proper ballsy stuff that.

Oh and dropping TRJ was absurd, he needs to be in the next test.  Its do or die for Westley also. Malan is not great as he was very lucky Yesterday, but as fuck all alternatives deserves an Ashes spot.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The declaration was entirely, absolutely correct.

322 was a very high score for any team to get to win any test match, and having a crack at the West Indies with the new ball late yesterday gave England two bites at the cherry and piled pressure on the West Indies.

The declaration was fine - it was the performance that was poor. West Indies did something that hardly ever happens, score 300+ in the fourth innings and win. It was the best I've seen them play in 17 years.

And yes, Toby Roland-Jones would have been a better pick than Woakes, although Woakes did make a very important contribution with the bat. He was not match fit with the ball, and you're right it was arrogant to think we could carry that weakness along with the weaknesses in our batting order into a test match.

rjd2

They should have kept batting, another 20 or 30 runs would have been crucial. I know the West Indies are normally shit, but this pitch suited them as their first innings heroics proved. It was a Michael Clarke style declaration and God I hated how much the media would fawn over "how positive" he was. They dangled an unneeded carrot sadly.

Ultimately though they bowled poorly and were muck in the field.

Thankfully its still a three test series, England are a much superior team and they should win the next test.

thraxx

The declaration was fine, you can argue a little generous, but I kind of like the fact that it was positive and left enough in the game to keep the Windies interested. With hindsight it's easy to say 'bat it out' and guarantee a draw but that would have made a far less interesting and duller test. We should have bowled better and held those catches - Cook will be getting a lot of fines I think.  Broad was fucking livid with that second dropped catch by Cooky.

jobotic

Quote from: Mr Eggs on August 29, 2017, 03:25:02 AM
The Fazeer Mohammed Calypso on TMS was a MOMENT. Proper TMS.

Yeah, was brilliant.

poo

One of the best ever test wins. No problem with the declaration - England just outplayed on final day. Hoping final test will be another good contest.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also great to see Bangladesh beat Australia, limiting the Aussies gloating to a mere few hours.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Wouldn't mind Shakib in our side.

poo

thraxx

Jonathan Agnew is giving Theresa May a rather stretching and amusing interview on TMS this lunchtime, in his hesitant and apologetic way. Sadly May is dealing with it rather well.

thraxx

Well done Jimmy; passing 500 wickets, best ever figures and 9 wickets in the match.  Getting better with age.  I loves ya but I still don't think you're quite England's greatest ever seamer.  That'll still be Fred Trueman.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Anderson has a very similar record to Walsh, though not as good an average. Will be known for his longevity and service as well as his skill.

From about 2007-8 onwards he has been supreme, with just the odd injury hampering his form. He must be averaging sub-25 since then. Deserving of the legendary status. This summer has been the best I've seen him bowl for a while. Looks in better shape than McGrath did at 35 and I reckon he would get in the side for home tests for the next 3-4 years if he bowls to even nearly the same standard.

If he bowled a tad more full at times and brought back the one coming in to the left hander from over the wicket he would do even better.

The Duck Man

Gradually bringing the cut-off date forward...

506 wickets at 27.39 from 129 matches (22 May 2003)
480 wickets at 26.98 from 121 matches (1 May 2004)
471 wickets at 26.72 from 117 matches (1 May 2005)
465 wickets at 26.89 from 116 matches (1 May 2006)
460 wickets at 26.29 from 113 matches (1 May 2007)
436 wickets at 25.56 from 107 matches (1 May 2008)
389 wickets at 24.97 from 94 matches (1 May 2009)
350 wickets at 24.08 from 83 matches (1 May 2010)
294 wickets at 24.71 from 72 matches (1 May 2011)
248 wickets at 24.50 from 61 matches (1 May 2012)
208 wickets at 22.76 from 49 matches (1 May 2013)
163 wickets at 20.47 from 37 matches (1 May 2014)
116 wickets at 20.13 from 28 matches (1 May 2015)
73 wickets at 16.73 from 16 matches (1 May 2016)
39 wickets at 14.10 from 7 matches (1 May 2017)

Harry Badger

Quote from: thraxx on September 08, 2017, 01:11:44 PM
Jonathan Agnew is giving Theresa May a rather stretching and amusing interview on TMS this lunchtime, in his hesitant and apologetic way. Sadly May is dealing with it rather well.

Yes, I thought that was probably the best interview I have heard her do to be honest. I would expect Corbyn to feature in one of the upcoming ODIs.

Blowers sign-off was truly in the style of the man - charming and bumbling. May the old bugger have a long and happy retirement in Spain.

I would not be surprised to see Anderson get a knighthood in the new years honours.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Duck Man on September 09, 2017, 11:41:36 PM
Gradually bringing the cut-off date forward...

506 wickets at 27.39 from 129 matches (22 May 2003)
480 wickets at 26.98 from 121 matches (1 May 2004)
471 wickets at 26.72 from 117 matches (1 May 2005)
465 wickets at 26.89 from 116 matches (1 May 2006)
460 wickets at 26.29 from 113 matches (1 May 2007)
436 wickets at 25.56 from 107 matches (1 May 2008)
389 wickets at 24.97 from 94 matches (1 May 2009)
350 wickets at 24.08 from 83 matches (1 May 2010)
294 wickets at 24.71 from 72 matches (1 May 2011)
248 wickets at 24.50 from 61 matches (1 May 2012)
208 wickets at 22.76 from 49 matches (1 May 2013)
163 wickets at 20.47 from 37 matches (1 May 2014)
116 wickets at 20.13 from 28 matches (1 May 2015)
73 wickets at 16.73 from 16 matches (1 May 2016)
39 wickets at 14.10 from 7 matches (1 May 2017)

Thanks! Fascinating. I expect his record might take a slight blotting down under but still, seeing how he's eaten into his average the last 5 or so years particularly is brilliant. Experience paying off.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Worth considering that Anderson gets first use of the new ball and generally the best conditions, best say over field placings and when and how long his spells are.

Versus Stokes who is a very useful swing bowler but is lumped with the old ball, hard yards, set batsman. I hope Root uses him a bit more adventurously than Cook did.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Moeen
Moeen
Moeen
Moeen

I'm begging of you please don't be 12th man

Awesome performance, classic case of bowlers turning to absolute shite when any pressure is put on them.

poo

Ashes preparations going well then

thraxx

The video of Stokes is pretty damning.  I can imagine he was provoked but regardless of what happened before he's walking around paneling cunts and the bloke he larraps at the end is totally sparko with his legs all twitching.

I reckon Stokes is in serious trouble.  Convict him of ABH I say.  Then pack him off to the World's biggest open air prison, Australia.

Bhazor

Ruddy 'eck, theres a cricket game. Better buy it because there probably won't be another for 6 years.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/11/15/ashes-cricket-review

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Love that they got a Broad sledge in there.