Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2017

Started by Shay Chaise, June 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Very odd. Seems like a pointless waste of everyone's time.

ECB now deciding whether or not to discipline them both for bringing the game into disrepute apparently.

BlodwynPig

Thug life. Barton's doing alright for himself these days, so I imagine Stokes to do the same.

Bizarre. Interesting also that the prosecution were asking to switch to ABH on day one, which surely he is guilty of. He's got off on some legal ambiguity, basically. Affray does seem like a strange and convoluted offence to prosecute.

monolith

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 14, 2018, 02:20:48 PM
Bizarre. Interesting also that the prosecution were asking to switch to ABH on day one, which surely he is guilty of. He's got off on some legal ambiguity, basically. Affray does seem like a strange and convoluted offence to prosecute.
Particularly as there is a video clearly showing him battering the fuck out of someone. Surely ABH would have been the more sensible offence to pursue?

monolith

3 is the money shot. If no other bystanders were fearful then there's no case for that offence.

Looks like he has been saved by judicial incompetence, wrong charge was brought against him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, that about sums it up. I suppose they went with affray due to the numbers involved.

The ECB have included Stokes in the squad for the next test so indications seem to be that they won't be taking a moral stand on this one.

BlodwynPig

In sport you can be a rapist, a thug, a wife-beater, or a drunk-driver and you'll get a free pass. A gambler or a drug cheat you've got zero chance.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oof, and don't spit at someone.

"Do you bite your thumb at me, sir?"

It's not even an actual bystander, it's a hypothetical bystander - and frankly, as someone of reasonable firmness, I would be fearful upon seeing one man knock out a man brandishing a bottle and chase and beat down a man holding a road sign. I would be fearful for their lives and for my own safety. I really don't understand how he's got off even on this charge.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 14, 2018, 09:13:33 PM
It's not even an actual bystander, it's a hypothetical bystander - and frankly, as someone of reasonable firmness, I would be fearful upon seeing one man knock out a man brandishing a bottle and chase and beat down a man holding a road sign. I would be fearful for their lives and for my own safety. I really don't understand how he's got off even on this charge.

Aye, but you can easily see how a good lawyer could persuade the jury that wasn't the case, particularly given the high threshold they need to meet to reach a guilty verdict.

Justice huh

Andy147

Quote from: monolith on August 13, 2018, 03:30:33 PM
Think that was during WSC though so wasn't a strong team.

No, it was the series before WSC. Lillee was missing, but it was otherwise the full Aussie Test team (Chappell, Hookes, Walters, Marsh, Thomson, Pascoe, Bright, Walker all played).

BlodwynPig

Don't worry lads, Micky Vaughan says Stokesy has suffered enough punishment...get the drinks in Benny Boy and knock a few sixes out of them p**i bastards, eh?

QuoteFormer England captain Michael Vaughan says Ben Stokes has "suffered enough punishment" and has backed the all-rounder's return to the England squad.

Quote from: Andy147 on August 14, 2018, 09:50:56 PM
No, it was the series before WSC. Lillee was missing, but it was otherwise the full Aussie Test team (Chappell, Hookes, Walters, Marsh, Thomson, Pascoe, Bright, Walker all played).

The Aussie team was in decline, distracted by Packer revelations (which became public in May 1977) and England were playing at home. And Lillee was probably as important to them at that time as Bradman was in the 30s.

thraxx

It's true that Broad has had more devastating ups and longer downs than Anderson and is a more frustrating bowler to watch.  In spite of his heroics, I still - probably harshly - think Broad hasn't fulfilled his potential - remember when there was that period when he tried to bill himself as 'the enforcer' in the England team, but instead just made an embarrassing tit of himself in front of the Aussies on the pitch.  He also should have made more of his batting. 

As for Anderson, I love him, but my thoughts of him are polluted by the memory of his first 3 or 4 years in the Test team when he was a fucking infuriating bowler who would bowl 5 tight deliveries, and then a leg stump half volley that would be hit for for every over.  Wasn't he dropped for the Ashes in 2005 - if he had played I don't think we would have won.  Since 2007 or so, he's got better every year to the point where he's just lethal.  I think that he can play for England until he's 40 as he is a fit chap anyway, and has played comparatively little County cricket.  As good as he is, he's far behind McGrath who was the leading exponent of nagging seam I think, and you can't compare him with proper quicks as that's never been Jimmy's game; The likes of Marshall, Waqar, Ambrose, Lillee and were just freaks.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteyou can't compare him with proper quicks as that's never been Jimmy's game

Who is?

iamcoop

I'm drunk after a lovely dinner with the day off work tomorrow so I'm going to sit back (like a twat) and watch all two glorious hours of the opening day of the 2010/11 Ashes Boxing Day test. I loved listening to this series on TMS, I vividly remember my partner waking up and being pissed off with me cos she had work the next day when we got them 3 down at Adelaide. Anyway, this is a great watch, as much as it is for hearing Lawry, Slater, Healy and Taylor begging it and pretending everything's fine when we bowl them out for under 100.

https://youtu.be/jWN_aVZ0hQU

BlodwynPig

Bit of a theme now

"Engerlund must stick with Stokes"

"Engerlund must stick with Cipriani"

I'm fucking sick of these pricks - leading by example. For de kiddies, innit

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: iamcoop on August 16, 2018, 11:03:30 PM
I'm drunk after a lovely dinner with the day off work tomorrow so I'm going to sit back (like a twat) and watch all two glorious hours of the opening day of the 2010/11 Ashes Boxing Day test. I loved listening to this series on TMS, I vividly remember my partner waking up and being pissed off with me cos she had work the next day when we got them 3 down at Adelaide. Anyway, this is a great watch, as much as it is for hearing Lawry, Slater, Healy and Taylor begging it and pretending everything's fine when we bowl them out for under 100.

https://youtu.be/jWN_aVZ0hQU

"Have to catch that, sitter"
Awful, awful commentary

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"What sort of car would Barbie and Buzz Lightyear drive, do you think?"

The nadir of sports commentary towards the end there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45218870

Another swathe of Pakistani internationals influenced by gambling rings are given bans

The pressure they must be under over there just to stay clean must be immense, especially when you consider the  financial rewards (unless you're box office talent) for honesty are modest at best.

So many players have been caught in such a short space of time that you have to say it goes beyond individual moral choice, there's a cultural problem.

monolith

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 17, 2018, 11:28:27 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45218870

Another swathe of Pakistani internationals influenced by gambling rings are given bans

The pressure they must be under over there just to stay clean must be immense, especially when you consider the  financial rewards (unless you're box office talent) for honesty are modest at best.

So many players have been caught in such a short space of time that you have to say it goes beyond individual moral choice, there's a cultural problem.
I think at the start it's probably quite easy to justify as well. A no ball doesn't usually affect the outcome of a match so if that's the first thing they ask you to do and you need the money I can see why someone could be convinced in to bowling a no ball.

And after that they've got you. Either you're thrown under the bus or you continue to do as asked, whilst still getting paid.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yep, and not just the pressure from outside but corrupted people inside the team and the PCB of which there has regularly been plenty. There's no way players would be doing this with such frequency unless it infected the highest levels.

Sad to read as I thought Misbah did an excellent job of getting a small core group who were impervious to this.

PowerButchi

Stokes in for Curran. A trifle harsh.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 17, 2018, 01:56:57 PM

Bullied his way back into the team.

iamcoop

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 17, 2018, 01:56:57 PM

Fantastic message this sends out to young players on the county circuit. Break into the test side at 20, get a man of the match and then get dropped for not battering someone outside a nightclub.

Stokes at the minimum should've been made to wait until somebody got dropped purely on form.

monolith

Hope he drops some sitters, bags a pair and 0-100 losing us the match (and keeping the series alive).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Curran done good so far, and having a left armer does give us variety to our attack. Rashid has been a passenger so far, how about selecting a spinner Root actually wants to use?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuotePrayags: As an India fan I absolutely have no expectations or fear. If it is 35-3 at lunch, it is fine and will still continue to root for India.

No-one gives a fuck