Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Preposterous accents in films

Started by Twit 2, June 13, 2017, 12:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Hold your Ray Winston, this ain't about bad attempts at traditional accents, just weird choices that are probably quite accurate but completely take you out of the film.

Watched Harsh Times on Fetnlix, needs own thread as it's so bad it's good. Bale's voice is just silly coming out of his face. Complete piss take, took me nearly the whole film to get used to it, dawg.

Any suggestions?

SteveDave

Pete Postlethwait in The Usual Suspects. I don't even know what it's meant to be. Sometimes Indian, sometimes Welsh, sometimes Irish.

gatchamandave

Christopher Plummer in The Royal Hunt of the Sun, a film that given its cast and background should be far better known. He plays an Incan king with a disjointed falsetto voice that's initially distracting but becomes compelling as events progress.

Serge

Quote from: SteveDave on June 13, 2017, 09:10:45 AM
Pete Postlethwait in The Usual Suspects. I don't even know what it's meant to be. Sometimes Indian, sometimes Welsh, sometimes Irish.

Isn't that kind of the point, though?

Sebastian Cobb

Brion James's English accent in Tango and Cash.

Bad Ambassador

A Voyage Around the English Language... with Russell Crowe.

Robin Hood, The Mummy, you name it. Give him a character and he'll do a weird accent that sounds just wrong enough to put your ears in the uncanny valley.

SteveDave

Quote from: Serge on June 13, 2017, 11:30:11 AM
Isn't that kind of the point, though?

Is it? It just takes me out of the film every time and question his choices. See also- Locke.

Phil_A

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 13, 2017, 11:36:49 AM

Robin Hood, The Mummy, you name it. Give him a character and he'll do a weird accent that sounds just wrong enough to put your ears in the uncanny valley.

"You've got dead ears, mate."

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SteveDave on June 13, 2017, 12:03:31 PM
Is it?

You could argue that it is because we only hear him through the made-up/embellished story that Spacey is telling.  I think it works fine as it is - the character is so odd (Japanese name as well, don't forget), and almost certainly a creation of Kint, that it needed something to make him stick out and not seem quite right.  Postlethwaite was pretty good at accents, so I'm fairly sure it was an intentional choice.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Phil_A on June 13, 2017, 12:27:30 PM

"You've got dead ears, mate."

I like him best when he does gruff.

Shit Good Nose

Obel

Sean Bean in Silent Hill. Sometimes American, sometimes Yorkshire, sometimes Sean Connery. Not sure what the hell was going on with his accent.

Brundle-Fly

Kathy Bates as Ethel Darling The Bearded Lady in American Horror Story: Freakshow. I couldn't work out what it was meant to be but apparently, it was a Baltimore accent.
https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Kathy-Bates-American-Horror-Story-Freak-Show-Featurette-38678558

phantom_power

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 13, 2017, 11:36:49 AM

Except when he is playing an Italian in Gladiator, when his English accent is pretty good

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on June 13, 2017, 03:05:37 PM
Except when he is playing an Italian in Gladiator, when his English accent is pretty good

We wouldn't accept Romans with an Italian accent though.

phantom_power

Yeah but he should play all English characters from now on as if they were Italian. Then his accent would be spot-on

Shit Good Nose

They'd still be gruff, though. 

"What accent are you doing, Russ?"

"...gruff..." (walks out of the room in a piss)

Dex Sawash

Can I say the little guy in game of thrones? Not a movie though.

QDRPHNC

Don Cheadle in the Oceans movies.

Leave it aaahhhhhhht bladdy gavna me old China bowwocks.

Mini

Angelina Jolie in Oliver Stone's Alexander. Everyone else is doing Irish; she does Russian or something.

It's actually one of the more entertaining aspects of that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauxJU5RdPs

FredNurke

Is there a reason why no one's said Tom Hardy's BANE yet? If not, then I'll say it. Tom Hardy's BANE. BANE. BAAAAANE.

bane

marquis_de_sad

John Malkovich's "Russian" accent in Rounders.

SteveDave

Quote from: FredNurke on June 14, 2017, 10:46:52 AM
Is there a reason why no one's said Tom Hardy's BANE yet? If not, then I'll say it. Tom Hardy's BANE. BANE. BAAAAANE.

bane

I said Tom Hardy in Locke. LOCKE. LOCKE. LOOOOOOOOCKE.

locke

DrGreggles

Just films? Or can we include some telly*?

Specifically Daphne's Mancunian/Cockney/Australian/South African/Other accented family in 'Frasier'?

saltysnacks

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 14, 2017, 12:59:03 PM

Specifically Daphne's Mancunian/Cockney/Australian/South African/Other accented family in 'Frasier'?

'Dokturr Kreeehn'.

AsparagusTrevor

Danny Dyer in any film he's been in, or any TV show he's been in, or any house or shop he's been in.

Quote from: SteveDave on June 14, 2017, 12:41:48 PM
I said Tom Hardy in Locke. LOCKE. LOCKE. LOOOOOOOOCKE.

locke
Locke thread

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: saltysnacks on June 14, 2017, 01:11:32 PM
'Dokturr Kreeehn'.

Might have mentioned this before, but she actually (and, no doubt, unwittingly ) comes pretty close to a St. Helens accent at times. Her brothers all had different accents too, including one Dick Van Cockney, but that might have been deliberate.

nedthemumbler

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 14, 2017, 12:59:03 PM

Oh my word yes, what was going on there? Someone involved somewhere surely could have piped up, 'er, this is an accent unheard on Earth, let alone NW UK or Seattle.