Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best/Favourite Cameo appearance ever...

Started by Z/Sb, December 09, 2004, 09:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z/Sb

I think Phil Spector's appearance at the beginning of "Easy Rider" rates as one of the greatest, and most unlikely, appearances in a movie ever. Although he's actually playing a character and not playing himself, the fact that he's only in it for that small amount of time, you never see him again after his appearance and he's not an actor anyway, make him my pick for the greatest cameo of all-time. I mean, that has to be one of the coolest movies of all-time.

Stan Lee and Lou Ferrigno playing a couple of security guards in the recent "Hulk" movie was sublime for a comic-book/Hulk fan like myself. I also liked Stan's cameo in Daredevil which they even used on the trailer - the bit where Matt Murdock is standing next to Stan Lee at the crossing.

John Cleese in the Ripping Yarns episode "Golden Gordon" was a great blink
and you miss him appearance. A funny moment and nothing like Cleese's absolutely pointless appearance as a copper in the recent "Around the World in 80 Days" effort. Although, I did find Richard Branson's cameo amusing but I found his cameo at the end of  part 1 of "Miami Twice" funnier - same goes for that Bee Gees cameo in the feature length "Miami Twice" episode.

Another cool appearance: The UFOlogist, Dr. J Allen Hynek, in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Hynek actually invented the term(s) "Close Encounters of the First/Second/Third Kind".

George Harrison and Spike Milligan in "Life of Brian" are classic cameos.

I love Tom Hanks' low-brow appearance on the "Concert For George" in the "Lumberjack Song" as one of the mounties.

Spike Milligan's short appearance in Cook & Moore's "Hound of the Baskervilles" is hilarious and worth seeing for that bit alone.

Robert Patrick in the "Wayne's World" movie when he says: "Have you seen this boy?"

Oh, and then there was that great Morris appearance in "I'm Alan Partridge". I almost forgot that one.

I won't mention Bowie's appearance as Shark in "Yellowbeard" because that movie is so tediously awful. The bit with Bowie and Eric Idle was one of the few bits I found funny - due more to absurdity and hero worship then genuine funniness.

fanny splendid

It was actually the fourth kind. I don't know why they called it the third?

A bit more than a cameo appearance, but Kiss bassist Gene Simmons plays a pissed off crime boss at the end of series five, and beginning of series six, of Third Watch.

The Duck Man

Hugh Laurie's cameo in Friends was amazing, genuinely some of the funniest lines Friends ever had. Actually, the Brad Pitt cameo wasn't bad either.

Regarding Spike Milligan - which bit of Brian is he in. In their autobiography they mention how he disapeared before they filmed his piece as one of the "blood and thunder prophets" But I swear he's the guy that stops and mumbles as the crowd streams past him, going out of the city to chase Brian.

Alberon

Stan Lee seems to cameo in all the good Marvel adaptations.

As for John Cleese, there is his classic cameo in Doctor Who when the TARDIS is parked in an art gallery.

PyramidHead

Quote from: "The Duck Man"Regarding Spike Milligan - which bit of Brian is he in. In their autobiography they mention how he disapeared before they filmed his piece as one of the "blood and thunder prophets" But I swear he's the guy that stops and mumbles as the crowd streams past him, going out of the city to chase Brian.

Dunno, but on the 'behind the scenes' bit on the DVD I've got, he's definately sitting around with the Pythons while they're not actually filming.

Quote from: "PyramidHead"
Quote from: "The Duck Man"Regarding Spike Milligan - which bit of Brian is he in. In their autobiography they mention how he disapeared before they filmed his piece as one of the "blood and thunder prophets" But I swear he's the guy that stops and mumbles as the crowd streams past him, going out of the city to chase Brian.

Dunno, but on the 'behind the scenes' bit on the DVD I've got, he's definately sitting around with the Pythons while they're not actually filming.

"Yea', let us pray...for he have cometh..." He is present during the "IT'S A SANDAL!" debate, trying to speak to the crowd and ask them to pray with him, but everyone shoves past him and chases Brian.

The Duck Man

Yeah, that photo's in the autobiography. I've just re-read it, it's very good.

And George Harrison's cameo is a bit rubbish really. You can't even see him and it's Michael Palin that drawls "Hello."

RFT

Quote from: "The Duck Man"Hugh Laurie's cameo in Friends was amazing, genuinely some of the funniest lines Friends ever had. Actually, the Brad Pitt cameo wasn't bad either.

which episode of friends was Hugh in?

continuing the hugh theme- that ITV com-dram he was in last year ("fortysomething"- thanks IMDB). was mostly awful, but Stephen Fry was in one episode for about 5 minutes as a fishmonger, and it was great- could very easily have been a Bit Of Fry & Laurie sketch from years ago...

mikeyg27

Quote from: "RFT"which episode of friends was Hugh in?

The London one. He's an englishman who gets pissed off with Rachel.

In fact, with Richard Branson, Fergie, Jennifer Saunders, and probably some other people as well, it  was the most unneccessarily cameo laden episode of anything ever, apart from that Simpsons in England (Tony Blair, D'oh!)

However, the Simpsons does have some great cameos, like the Homerpolooza episode, with Cypress Hill. "If she is not picked up within the next hour, she will become state property"

glitch

I've been watching Batman: The Animated Series recently, and there's one episode about a superhero show a young Bruce Wayne watched. The star of the show is voiced by Adam West and there's a fair few lines which could apply to West's life. It's an amusing cameo from back before he started doing voiceovers for everything.

mcbpete

Brad Bitt's appearance in Being John Malkovich was pretty funny I thought. Just looking confused for about half a second before cutting to another shot.

Z/Sb

Quote from: "xerode"I've been watching Batman: The Animated Series recently, and there's one episode about a superhero show a young Bruce Wayne watched. The star of the show is voiced by Adam West and there's a fair few lines which could apply to West's life. It's an amusing cameo from back before he started doing voiceovers for everything.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that but I forgot it by the time I finished my post. Great cameo and in-joke for those who get it. He way playing an actor called Simon Trent who was the star of a superhero show called "The Gray Ghost". It was very much a tribute to Adam West, in a way, that episode was. Adam now does the voice for the mayor in the recent "The Batman" animated series, by the way.

fanny splendid

Johnny Cash in Dr Quinn: Medicine Woman right now, Channel 4...

Kazuo Kiriyama

Frank Shamrock with a razor to Chico Guerra's throat in Oz was pretty cool.

I remember seeing Prince Of Thieves in the cinema and some old slapper behind me standing up and loudly shouting BLEEDIN' SHAUN CONNERY GETS IN EVERYFING, DON'T 'E?

VegaLA

Quote from: "Alberon"

As for John Cleese, there is his classic cameo in Doctor Who when the TARDIS is parked in an art gallery.

I remember that.... I think it was in the story that took place in Paris with Tom Baker and Lalla Ward.

George Romeros cameo in The Silence of the lambs was very discreet. Watch out for Simon peggs cameo in the upcoming Land of the Dead.

Yes, Cleese with Eleanor Bron in "City of Death", which I've only just found out was written by Douglas Adams, according to this

VegaLA

Quote from: "sick as a pike"Yes, Cleese with Eleanor Bron in "City of Death", which I've only just found out was written by Douglas Adams, according to this

"City of Death", with Julian Glover. I was racking my brains for that title. Another good story that should soon be released on DVD.

My Giddy Aunt

Now then, less of a cameo as they were in all of it, but what about 'Culture Club' in the A-Team. TV Gold.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-727/epid-37702/

Darrell

Alan "Comedies" Strang in Fist of Fun. That 'standing up' bit gets me every time!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: "mcbpete"Brad Bitt's appearance in Being John Malkovich was pretty funny I thought. Just looking confused for about half a second before cutting to another shot.

Ha ha I'd forgotten about that. Charlie Sheen has to be the crowning glory of that film's guest appearances though.

On a less highbrow note, Dodgeball is also littered with cameos. In case anyone hasn't seen it, David Hasselhoff as the German team's coach/god was ace.

All time worst cameo would have to be one of the Simpsons ones where they couldn't think of what to do with the celebrity and just have them there as themselves. The James Woods episode was pretty lame for instance.

VegaLA

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"
All time worst cameo would have to be one of the Simpsons ones where they couldn't think of what to do with the celebrity and just have them there as themselves. The James Woods episode was pretty lame for instance.

However, Tom Savinis cameo, despite the episode being titled "Worst episode ever!" was a nice touch.

butnut

Seinfeld - The Boyfriend

A simply stunning hour-long episode, with Baseball star Keith Hernandez making a remarkable appearance.

Quote[they kiss - REALLY KISS]
ELAINE: [mind] Who does this guy think he is?
KEITH: [mind] I'm Keith Hernandez.

Solid Snail

Quote from: "VegaLA"George Romeros cameo in The Silence of the lambs was very discreet.

A bit too discrete for me, that one. Where is he?

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"All time worst cameo would have to be one of the Simpsons ones where they couldn't think of what to do with the celebrity and just have them there as themselves. The James Woods episode was pretty lame for instance.

C'mon. I know it was clumsily done, but it was still funny. "And for Chaplain, I actually went back in time to the 1920s and... heh, I've said too much."

I'll tell you a stupid cameo. Brett Favre (he of the NFL quarterback fame) in There's Something About Mary. I don't quite see the fucking point of him being there.

My Brett Farve jersey is my prized possession.

Purple Tentacle

Yay for Robert Patrick in Wayne's World, that one's probably my favourite. That and Brad Pitt in Being John Malkovich.

How about George Clooney in South Park, both as Sparky in the series, and the ER doctor in the film?

Or Brent "Data" Spiner as Conan O'Brian? In fact, every celebrity who did voices in the South Park film, lampooning other celebrities...  it certainly beats the "profile raising" Simpsons appearances....

What about Patrick "Make it so" Stewart as the French Maitre d'  in LA Story?

Ciarán2

What was that sitcom Edwyn Collins did on Channel 4 about 5 years ago? There were loads of good cameos in it (his mates). I remember Roddy Frame and Sarah Cracknell were in it definitely. It wasn't such a bad series, Edwyn was good in it. The tiitle changed for the second series - something ...Lodge or ...House

Deadman97

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"The James Woods episode was pretty lame for instance.

Has anyone else seen the "Clerks" cartoon series? His appearance on that was funny as fuck.

Kazuo Kiriyama

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "mcbpete"Brad Bitt's appearance in Being John Malkovich was pretty funny I thought. Just looking confused for about half a second before cutting to another shot.

He also appears for about a second with Matt Damon in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

My vote for the best goes to Alec Baldwin as utter bastard salesman Blake in Glengarry Glen Ross:

Dave Moss: What's your name?
Blake: Fuck you. That's my name. You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name.....You see this watch? You see this watch?
Dave Moss: Yeah.
Blake: That watch costs more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?