Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:38:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Atari Box

Started by Beagle 2, June 19, 2017, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Trying to fill a niche that has already been filled since Steam/XBLA/Wii Ware in the mid 00s and expanded massively toward the mainstream in the years that followed.

That said, the hardware looks sexy as FUCK.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2018, 06:16:52 PM
The only new game that was demoed was apparently only built for windows and a couple of consoles so if their demo is showing it running on the actual machine it's likely going through WINE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atari/comments/8pabqb/tempest_4000_is_the_only_new_game_that_atari/?st=ji4t3zuu&sh=4f741368
Or just ported. Probably not that much work to retarget the IO layers.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 07, 2018, 06:54:24 PM
Trying to fill a niche that has already been filled since Steam/XBLA/Wii Ware in the mid 00s and expanded massively toward the mainstream in the years that followed.

Thats probably the reason they raised so much money, it does look nice.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2018, 06:16:52 PM
The only new game that was demoed was apparently only built for windows and a couple of consoles so if their demo is showing it running on the actual machine it's likely going through WINE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atari/comments/8pabqb/tempest_4000_is_the_only_new_game_that_atari/?st=ji4t3zuu&sh=4f741368

Or they faked the footage as some on there are suggesting, which makes this whole project look decidedly shady.

lazarou

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 07, 2018, 06:54:24 PM

There was still something of a space for a system like this around the time Ouya was being funded, back when most storefronts were a lot more exclusive in who they let in. Shortly after that, folks like Sony started getting smart and actively courting promising new developers, add in Steam finally opening the floodgates and I just don't see a space for the Atari box at all.

The Ouya probably had the best chance any system ever will of making it in that space, and even at a fraction of the price it didn't make a dent. I'll always have a soft spot for it as the limited marketplace did help get my games noticed, but the money wasn't exactly rolling in. Anyway, in videogame terms it's been a long time since even that, and I think games have moved on.

QuotePitfall, Keystone Kapers, Crackpots, Kaboom!, River Raid, Frostbite and fucking, motherfucking MegaMania
QuoteCombat is one of my top five games ever. Played with a slightly inebriated group of people it's brilliant - the ultimate late night duel game.
QuoteBerzerk and Q-Bert are the best ones I own I think.

Good recs, I'd also add Warlords for some tremendous 4-player multiplayer, Yar's Revenge and Laser Gates.

Sebastian Cobb

I think one of the worst I have is a Double Dragon conversion. The 2600 is just not up to the job sadly.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2018, 11:36:22 PM
I think one of the worst I have is a Double Dragon conversion. The 2600 is just not up to the job sadly.

Klax also came out on the 2600 amazingly, 1990.

asids

QuoteThey've also said that "a full range of popular modern titles" will be available at launch, although it remains to be seen what exactly that will entail.

"Popular modern titles" sounds deliberately vague as fuck, probably meaning "a few indie games that nobody's ever played". This has scam shit written all over it. Considering their recent game releases since bankruptcy which have been low-quality crap (Alone in the Dark: Illumination, that RollerCoaster Tycoon game) I don't think Atari have the financial power to pull off something like this even with the crowdfunding money,

biggytitbo

Is this even actual Atari, or whatever remains of it these days? Either way there's no actual lineage back to the original Atari, or either of the two Atari's from the 80s onward is there?

Phil_A

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2018, 01:32:31 PM
Is this even actual Atari, or whatever remains of it these days? Either way there's no actual lineage back to the original Atari, or either of the two Atari's from the 80s onward is there?

Infogrames acquired the Atari IP and changed their name to Atari. Then they went bankrupt and one of the former CEOs bought the whole company. So no, no connection too Atari Inc or Atari Corp, Atari is now just Some Guy.

biggytitbo

Bit like the SNK Neo Geo mini, has no connection to the original SNK at all, just some Chinese company that bought the rights.