Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:38:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Yes, I'm starting the thread for the new season. The fixtures are starting to be released, and cup draws are being done (Carabao?) so it's time.

Anyway, Stuart Pearce has at last spoken his brains about the Cristiano Ronaldo situation (fearless prediction: he'll stay at Madrid). And what does this particular failed manager have to say about it?

Quote"At 32 years old as a manager I would be looking to get him on a free transfer."

Hmm. Good luck getting the world's best player, with several years to run on his contract on a free transfer there mate.

DrGreggles

Possibly the world's best goalscorer, not the world's best player. But that's another discussion for another day...

The weird thing about the rumoured transfer is that pretty much everyone is suggesting £100million + (players or more cash) as the fee.
That would mean that Real Madrid have essentially had peak Ronald for 8 years FOR FREE!

Ronalado

Is correct that RONALADO stay as glactico one or maybe three more year. More year after? Is possible. But also in Qatar and chine is positive for future of footbal. Here RONALADO has many fans. To see RONALADO name on galactico shirt in television news during bomings in Ukraine or IRac - this is special. But is important to say to only buy OFFICIAL UEFA porduct please. OTher product is bad quality.

RONALADO can be best player of world but also oldest with 40 or 45 year. Even when world ends! RONALADO score last-  is possible.

Obel

You sound like a football manager who was made in a lab.

Norton Canes

David Squires on... 25 years of the Premier League

'BANTER' (possibly the most disturbing image I've ever seen rendered in comic form)

Captain Z

Where's the tagline? Some suggestions:

In which only one team fails to win at Wembley
We're all going to Wembley
Ronaldo's Revenge

BlodwynPig

Stoked for the start of the CFL...come on Roughriders!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 20, 2017, 11:34:42 AM
David Squires on... 25 years of the Premier League

'BANTER' (possibly the most disturbing image I've ever seen rendered in comic form)

The Steve Bruce one?

BlodwynPig

dr beat

Great to have you back Ronalado.  I'd recommend a good accountant if I knew one.

Squink

Boring this, innit? Was hoping someone would have done a Moussa Sissoko-style deal by now just for the laffs, but seemingly no one is biting. Fucks sake.

Bourgyste

Looks like Chelsea are doing everything possible not to repeat.

Lot of preseason and signings to be done but im gonna say;

Prem - Man City
Champ - Aston Villa
League One - Blackburn
League Two - Lincoln

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Championship is probably the most open it's been for a while because of the poor quality of the relegated teams this year and last.  I don't think Villa will win, I think probably Middlesborough and then another functional team like Derby in second.

Birmingham will end up nearer the relegation zone again and Redknapp will be gone by Christmas.

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on July 02, 2017, 07:41:58 PM
Championship is probably the most open it's been for a while because of the poor quality of the relegated teams this year and last.  I don't think Villa will win, I think probably Middlesborough and then another functional team like Derby in second.

Birmingham will end up nearer the relegation zone again and Redknapp will be gone by Christmas.

Its why the championship is so good tbh.

Villa should do well - a proven championship manager, with funds to spend and buying well IMO. But still there are question marks.

Burton should really have been relegated and Preston have spend close to fuck all and ended up mid-table two seasons in a row.

Norton Canes

Deutschland sind wieder Weltmeister! (sort of)

imitationleather

Hope anyone except for Man City wins the Prem. And Chelsea. And Man Utd. And Arsenal. And Liverpool.

Particularly Man City, though. Totally hateful team, they've become. Also their relative lack of success despite a now entire decade of huge-scale financial doping gets funnier every year.

hewantstolurkatad

I just don't want to hear the whole Guardiola hype resume after he outspends everyone else in the league by a factor of 2.

Chelsea are actually a more likeable set of players with a more interesting manager. Even their horrendous track record with youth players results in something that's at least interesting with lower teams occasionally getting an amazing player on loan that shakes up the league

DrGreggles

Quote from: imitationleather on July 02, 2017, 11:48:57 PM
Hope anyone except for Man City wins the Prem. And Chelsea. And Man Utd. And Arsenal. And Liverpool.

Particularly Man City, though. Totally hateful team, they've become. Also their relative lack of success despite a now entire decade of huge-scale financial doping gets funnier every year.

Why is Man City's oil money worse than Chelsea's oil money?
Or Man U's sweat shop money?

Squink

I like Man City more than any of the other big English teams because I can at least relate to their fans on some level. ie. they've been through endless years of being shit with no expectation of doing anything.

Shay Chaise

Everton doing some business at the moment. A number of gambles perhaps but Pickford, Klaasen and Sandro could all be very good. Keane is supposedly to be announced in the next couple of days, too.

Sigurdsson and Giroud are also both on the list now. Not completely convinced about either but if you take this early business as an attempt to offset the Lukaku goals (and money) across the team, I think they'd both make worthwhile contributions. Add this to Schneiderlin and Gueye, who were our best players last season, and it's looking like a pretty decent side.

On the wild off chance that we do keep Lukaku, too, it could be a very good team to compete for CL spots.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Chelsea are actually a more likeable set of players

Imagine how awful the situation must be for that to be ever true.

Mobius

Quote from: Shay Chaise on July 03, 2017, 06:09:33 AMLukaku

Is Lukaku definitely leaving? I wish Arsenal would sign him.

Sad that Giroud's probably off. Great player, works his arse off. Decent goalscoring record, plays well with his back to goal and great link-up player. Plus he's very handsome.

Is Lacazette any good?

im barry bethel

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 20, 2017, 10:20:17 AM
Possibly the world's best goalscorer, not the world's best player. But that's another discussion for another day...

The weird thing about the rumoured transfer is that pretty much everyone is suggesting £100million + (players or more cash) as the fee.
That would mean that Real Madrid have essentially had peak Ronald for 8 years FOR FREE!

For all the silly money fees they've paid Madrid have a good record of making money on players out, Ozil de Maria Higuin and Robhino all made a good profit, wouldn't surprise me if/when Ronaldo goes they'll get back a good half of the original fee.

Quote from: Mobius on July 03, 2017, 06:50:36 AM
Is Lacazette any good?

The new Giroud Podolski Sylvain Wiltord

Gurke and Hare

Steve Bruce looks overjoyed with his new signing.

Squink

Michael Keane on £100,000-a-week wages, Everton have gone proper mental.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Mobius on July 03, 2017, 06:50:36 AM
Is Lukaku definitely leaving? I wish Arsenal would sign him.

Bookies have actually lengthened the odds on him leaving, I don't see anyone meeting our valuation, either. He's supposedly got his heart set on Chelsea but he might be swayed by Everton's ambition and concrete business.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 04, 2017, 02:52:26 PM
David Squires on... Newcastle blowing the 1996 Premier League

CHEW
CHEW

Of course, 'blowing the league' never really happened*, but the narrative fits better when you take into account Keggy's telly meltdown.

*12 points clear in January, but having played 2 games more. The biggest blowing of a Premier League title came in 2012, fact fans!

Shay Chaise

Anyone else bored as fuck of this guy Squires? Yeah yeah yeah, I get your tone and one joke. Next.