Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

What a grest goal that was.

If Shelvey could sort his temper out he'd be a great player, probably regular international.

bgmnts

Oh man if Burnley finish above Arsenal.

bgmnts

United losing at home to virtually relegated West Brom, winning City the league.

Doesnt get much worse than that does it? The relative rot that has set in that club is bad.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on April 15, 2018, 05:52:47 PM
United losing at home to virtually relegated West Brom, winning City the league.

Doesnt get much worse than that does it? The relative rot that has set in that club is bad.

Dire.

monolith

So would it have been worse losing the title to City at the Etihad or against bottom of the league West Brom at Old Trafford?

That Derby seems a long long time ago!

DrGreggles

THEBESTLEAGUEINTHEWORLD won with 5 matches to play.
Isn't this the sort of thing the Scotch league used to get ridiculed for?

BlodwynPig

The BBC have this

was that from January when it snowed?

imitationleather

It was snowing earlier this month.

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 15, 2018, 06:29:01 PM
The BBC have this

L-R
Frank Spencer, Nick Knowles, Leo Sayer, Alf Garnett, Ainsley Harriot, Ming the Merciless

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My preferred results today, so very happy. Newcastle could well finish 8th now we have got a run going, which would be fucking absurd given how awful we were between November and February.

As for Shelvey, it isn't just his temperament, he just doesn't have the balance of skills to nail down one particular midfield position, so flits between being kinda shit and sporadically incredible at all of them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethe consequence of that is complicated football. Some players think it is stylish football. We were a complicated team

You could say, a complicated team, but no-one understands them but their manager.

thraxx

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 15, 2018, 06:29:01 PM
The BBC have this

Were they awarded the trophy in court or something?

BlodwynPig

"Come on Pep, get off the golf course and call the lads, we've got a sketch artist to come to the Etihad to draw the celebrations"

phantom_power

I think West Brom are onto something here. Have a manager that is so big the other teams lose on purpose to stay on his good side.

Squink

This must be up there in the "shittiest confirmation of title winners" stakes. A bottle job of Spurs proportions by the lad Mourinho.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on April 15, 2018, 07:07:40 PM
I think West Brom are onto something here. Have a manager that is so big the other teams lose on purpose to stay on his good side.

'Hardest Manager' is always a good discussion, but Darren Moore would now be a one of the favourites.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

After the last few seasons it's mad to think 18/19/20 goals used to be good enough to win the golden boot (or whatever most EPL goals is called).

imitationleather

It's mad to think that teams used to reckon they needed 40 points to avoid relegation.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: imitationleather on April 15, 2018, 08:29:44 PM
It's mad to think that teams used to reckon they needed 40 points to avoid relegation.

That adage has had a lot of criticism but it's a misinterpretation of stats. The "40 points to survive" is firstly a general rule, which like all general rules feature exceptions, secondly it's a margin, not the precise number of points required. Thirdly, most people are looking at the stats the wrong way around by focusing on the points totals from teams that survived rather than analysing the number of times 40 points wasn't enough. From memory 1 team have gone down with more than 40 points since the league structure changed, which is as good as proving this is a reliable general rule.

DrGreggles

Far more teams have survived with fewer than 40 points to suggest that the target should be lower.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 15, 2018, 08:47:09 PM
Far more teams have survived with fewer than 40 points to suggest that the target should be lower.

Why would you set a target 1 point above a number which you have no idea what it will be.

You set the target at 40 because it is nearly always enough.

Oops! Wrong Planet

I admire Benitez for many reasons, not least his unwavering equanimity when asked "Are you safe yet?" by post-match hacks.

Blinder Data

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 16, 2018, 10:34:42 AM
Genuinely one of the worst things I've ever seen: https://twitter.com/etisalat/status/985567113489338369

Yep, pretty awful.
It's not 'Michael Owen in a helicopter' awful, but still pretty awful.

bgmnts

Genuinely one of the worst things I've ever seen: https://twitter.com/etisalat/status/985567113489338369

That gave me a good cringe chuckle this morning.

wooders1978

Is that directed by the McCain's oven chips guy I wonder?

BlodwynPig

would have loved it if City had blown their 13 point lead and lost the title and those Arabs were obliged to post this video anyway. Welcome to the false-joy factory. More likeable when they were in the 3rd division.

Norton Canes

Excellent. That's actually got me really fired up for Liverpool winning it next year. The gauntlet's down, boys!

Jockice