Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massive bereavement

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Whatever your opinion on it, light blue is a lovely colour isn't it. Makes the most sinful look saintly. Well done to them for having a better colour.

imitationleather

Now that the european leagues are coming to a close I presume we're all going to be following the game in the New World?

Who is everyone's MLS team? I picked Seattle Sounders last year (using the time-tested "Who has the most garish kit in this fucking league?" method), and they've started this season with three losses and one draw. Standard.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Any country with a league going on in the summer is dead to me. I can't do footy all year running. It's a tedious business at the best of times and it takes me til about November to bother to get into each new season now. Partly as they start so early.

bgmnts

I actually just realised the world cup is on this year. Anyone arsed about this?

imitationleather

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2018, 02:20:12 PM
Any country with a league going on in the summer is dead to me. I can't do footy all year running. It's a tedious business at the best of times and it takes me til about November to bother to get into each new season now. Partly as they start so early.

Not even any love for Argentina and it's hugely unwieldy 28 team Superliga? For shame!

Danger Man

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2018, 02:20:36 PM
I actually just realised the world cup is on this year.

Surprising how few people know that the 2022 World Cup will take place November 21 - December 18

That will be fun.

massive bereavement

I actually just realised the world cup is on this year. Anyone arsed about this?

Yes, I always enjoy the World Cup. Might be that we have to watch it via online streams this year though, I can see the government putting pressure on BBC and ITV to not show it if things carry on as they are.

monolith

I'll take some joy watching the dickheads who were causing trouble in Holland getting absolutely fuckered by the Russians.

imitationleather

Quote from: massive bereavement on April 16, 2018, 02:56:26 PM
I can see the government putting pressure on BBC and ITV to not show it if things carry on as they are.

This will 100% not happen.

massive bereavement

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 02:58:07 PM
This will 100% not happen.

I really hope not but the opening game of World Cup 1982 was pulled in the UK because Argentina were playing. Stupid decision, not least because they lost the game to Belgium. 

imitationleather

Quote from: massive bereavement on April 16, 2018, 03:09:53 PM
I really hope not but the opening game of World Cup 1982 was pulled in the UK because Argentina were playing. Stupid decision, not least because they lost the game to Belgium.

The amount of money involved will over-rule everything now. I've got no doubt that Boris Johnson will demand it's not shown, and I also have no doubt that the TV companies will respond by ignoring him. If one wants to boycott the World Cup they're going to have to decide to do it themselves.

I think it will only not be shown on TV if a nuclear war has broken out, and in that scenario we'll all be too busy being dead.

Sgt. Duckie

Absolutely cannot wait. Football is coming home. The question is: who's organising the sweepstake this year??

imitationleather

Will the winner be Germany or France? Or could it be the hipster's choice, Belgium?

If you think a team other than those three are winning it then I am sorry but you are wrong.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 03:49:40 PM
Will the winner be Germany or France? Or could it be the hipster's choice, Belgium?

If you think a team other than those three are winning it then I am sorry but you are wrong.

France, either the nearly men or the abject in-fighting buffoons. I'd be happy with another Final and to lay some ghosts to rest. But I doubt that will happen. Predo: England vs. England final. Italy win it on pennos. Ronaldo scoring the winner.

Bronzy

imitationleather

Quote from: Bronzy on April 16, 2018, 03:52:57 PM
Panama

Interesting. During Switzerland 6:0 Panama last month they did look like they could do a job.

Captain Z

There's still enough time for Gareth Bale to turn up there in a canoe claiming to have lost his memory.

Utter Shit

Belgium have zero chance because Martinez is in charge. You'd be mad to rule out Brazil, Argentina or Spain, but I would agree that Germany and France are probably the favourites.

imitationleather

If Brazil win the World Cup I will have to build a time machine so I can go back to the past and not watch it.

Utter Shit

I hope Argentina win it so that people shut their fucks about Messi not being elite until he wins it.

bgmnts

We (Wales) spanked Belgium in the Euros.

They got no chance. Mark my words*

Like most World Cups i will be backing all the underdogs in the group stages until they inevitably get knocked out by the boring, shitty big dogs and support the least objectionable big teams in the knockout rounds.

Except last year when I think Costa Rica had a good run.

Wonder if Egypt will have a good crack at it, Salah in the form he is.

*They could win.

imitationleather

Just did this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/16/world-cup-finals-create-your-own-draw-for-russia-2018-interactive

First result was a Belgium v England final, with Belgium winning.

England overcoming Poland, Germany and France on their road to the final was certainly an extremely valiant effort. Knighthoods all round.

massive bereavement

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 03:14:59 PM
The amount of money involved will over-rule everything now. I've got no doubt that Boris Johnson will demand it's not shown, and I also have no doubt that the TV companies will respond by ignoring him. If one wants to boycott the World Cup they're going to have to decide to do it themselves.

I think it will only not be shown on TV if a nuclear war has broken out, and in that scenario we'll all be too busy being dead.

You'd imagine that ITV have tied up a sponsorship deal by now and at least some advertising deals.
I really wouldn't be surprised though if all games involving Russia are shunted off to ITV4 or one of the BBC red button streams, probably the opening ceremony as well.

USA will be desperate to see this tournament tarnished in some way, maybe they'll pay some local thugs to do some racist chanting or something. If there's any violence it'll almost certainly be the usual countries involved - England, Germany and Poland getting a pasting by the Russians. I'm sure everybody else traveling there will be fine.
I just hope football wins.

finnquark

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 12, 2018, 11:23:36 PM
Marseille are without Desailly and Papin but are a decent side these days.

Fortunately managed to be in Marseille on Thursday and went to the game, they're really fun - Thauvin and Payet are absolutely fantastic. Tell you who isn't though - Kostas Mitroglou. So fat. The Velodrome is an amazing stadium, incredible acoustics with the roof. And there was a lovely Chris Waddle flag.

bgmnts

Thauvin was useless for Newcastle wasnt he?

I remember he wore a suit to a game or something and got mauled in the press for it and that apparently affected his performances.

finnquark

Yeah I don't really remember anything about him at Newcastle, but I was surprised by how excellent he was. He also scored a late winner for them at Troyes on Sunday, for a 3-2 win. Flashscores tells me he has 17 goals and 10 assists in 30 league games this year. Him and Payet just kept doing ridiculous roulettes in midfield.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 02:17:49 PM
Now that the european leagues are coming to a close I presume we're all going to be following the game in the New World?

Who is everyone's MLS team? I picked Seattle Sounders last year (using the time-tested "Who has the most garish kit in this fucking league?" method), and they've started this season with three losses and one draw. Standard.

Youtube shows every game of the USL Pro (league below the MLS) live if you wanna see Didier Drogba or Joe Cole puffing away with a backdrop of fat Americans. I find it very relaxing to watch. There are some proper garish kits, the best being that of the new franchise, the Las Vegas Lights.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 16, 2018, 04:16:03 PM
I hope Argentina win it so that people shut their fucks about Messi not being elite until he wins it.

Messi to get injured in the Iceland game then Higuin or Dybala or Icardi to go all Baggio and drag them to the final, dropped so Messi makes his comeback and the Argies win with an 88th minute Otemendi near post header

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2018, 04:58:41 PM
Thauvin was useless for Newcastle wasnt he?

I remember he wore a suit to a game or something and got mauled in the press for it and that apparently affected his performances.

They went through a phase of new signings wearing a tuxedo for some reason

imitationleather

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 16, 2018, 06:31:56 PM
Youtube shows every game of the USL Pro (league below the MLS) live if you wanna see Didier Drogba or Joe Cole puffing away with a backdrop of fat Americans. I find it very relaxing to watch. There are some proper garish kits, the best being that of the new franchise, the Las Vegas Lights.

You missed the best part about that shirt:

Shaun Wright-Phillips also plays in the USL, doesn't he? The washed-up ex-Chelsea player game in that league is strong.