Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Quote from: im barry bethel on April 16, 2018, 06:36:15 PM
Messi to get injured in the Iceland game then Higuin or Dybala or Icardi to go all Baggio and drag them to the final, dropped so Messi makes his comeback and the Argies win with an 88th minute Otemendi near post header.

Sampaoli seems to have 'hinted' that neither Dybala or Icardi will play whilst he's managing, for some reason I cant understand. Dunno if Messi doesn't like them or something? I just always imagine Messi tells the coach what to do, no idea if that's true.

bgmnts

To give the MLS credit they do have the Zlatan now. Scored a worldie on his debut I think.

imitationleather

The quality of players in the MLS is a lot more consistent these days. There's not so many dogshit names you remember from over a decade ago anymore. It's the ULS where these types go to die now. Aside from LA Galaxy, but employing tired galacticos after their last payday has always been their style.

im barry bethel

Quote from: finnquark on April 16, 2018, 06:53:00 PM
Sampaoli seems to have 'hinted' that neither Dybala or Icardi will play whilst he's managing, for some reason I cant understand.

Not sure about Dybala but Icardi had an affair with another players wife and his face hasn't fitted since

gabrielconroy

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 04:33:40 PM
Just did this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/16/world-cup-finals-create-your-own-draw-for-russia-2018-interactive

First result was a Belgium v England final, with Belgium winning.

England overcoming Poland, Germany and France on their road to the final was certainly an extremely valiant effort. Knighthoods all round.

I did that about fifteen times and it gave me Argentina beating Portugal in the final at least five times. England beat Belgium twice and the rest of the winners were all the other lads you'd expect. France and the likes. Yer Germanys.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 06:41:03 PM

Shaun Wright-Phillips also plays in the USL, doesn't he? The washed-up ex-Chelsea player game in that league is strong.

He did, but he was so shit that Phoenix Rising declined to offer him a new contract. Tony Pulis' son (Anthony) manages one of the teams, so you can see the calibre of manager the teams are attracting. It's a useful league though, as the MLS teams get to farm out their young players, whilst the college players get to play competitive football during the college off-season. Prior to that the college players were only playing about 14 games a season, which wasn't really preparing them for professional football.

imitationleather

Anyone hear about the latest debacle in the VAR world?

In Mainz v Freiburg this evening the ref blows for half-time. The players go down the tunnel, then it turns out the VAR bods have spotted a handball. So the ref calls them back, makes them take a penalty which Mainz score, then sends them all back to the dressing rooms.

I like this new development in the sport. I like it a lot...

bgmnts

imitationleather

Captain Z

Picture those poor confused souls innocently queueing for their half-time beer when a huge cheer goes up in the middle of half time.

bgmnts

imitationleather

They rewrote the rules of the sport on the fly. This is the problem.

bgmnts

If it means justice was done dont bother me none.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2018, 10:34:36 PM
If it means justice was done dont bother me none.

algorithms. fuck the game. algorithms

Norton Canes

Solves the problem of low-quality, inconsequential half time entertainment. Maybe they should stack all the first half VAR decisions and play them out over fifteen minutes.

Image if they didn't spot the infringement until half an hour after the end of the game when the players had already got showered and changed (David Squires sharpens pencil...) 

Norton Canes

Anyway I genuinely wouldn't have put it past Jose Mourinho to throw that West Brom game in order to make Manchester City's title winning moment as anticlimactic as possible.

Norton Canes

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 09:27:26 PM

In Mainz v Freiburg this evening the ref blows for half-time. The players go down the tunnel, then it turns out the VAR bods have spotted a handball. So the ref calls them back, makes them take a penalty which Mainz score, then sends them all back to the dressing rooms

Fucking hell! Never mind the VAR incident, this is worth watching for the subsequent sitter off the post.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2018, 09:27:26 PM

In Mainz v Freiburg this evening the ref blows for half-time. The players go down the tunnel, then it turns out the VAR bods have spotted a handball. So the ref calls them back, makes them take a penalty which Mainz score, then sends them all back to the dressing rooms.

I like this new development in the sport. I like it a lot...

A guy I work with is a Mainz fan and was at the game last night.  He says loads of people didn't see the penalty being scored as they had left their seats for half time.  Apparently a bit of a protest about the whole thing involving toilet rolls being thrown in the 2nd half (I think this is a bit of a German thing - beats coins like in Scotland).

He said earlier in the season Mainz had a goal chopped off via VAR for something that had happened when Mainz were defending prior to getting the ball back and scoring (not on the counter attack).  So it ended up being a free-kick in an attacking area for the opposing team rather than a goal to Mainz.

Ridiculous stuff.  I didn't realise they had introduced VAR in all the games there.

DrGreggles

BlodwynPig

The toilet rolls were in protest at games being played on Monday. They didn't all bring rolls just in case of a dodgy VAR

bgmnts

Did anyone see the shit Jermaine Jenas was spouting a while back? Just saw it now.

https://youtu.be/CSFaHlHyiys

The fucking cheek of him.

imitationleather

thraxx

Has developed into the Stuart Staples of football punditry.

thraxx

So, farewell then Wenger...

Norton Canes

bgmnts

That lad from ArsenalfanTv must be fucking bricking it. Wenger eas keeping him in rolls royces and champagne.

George Oscar Bluth II

DrGreggles

A return for Bruce Rioch?

thraxx

Tony Adams is the right man for the job. Or Ray Parlour.