Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: Jockice on May 16, 2018, 07:01:53 PM
As a Scot living in England I can't really understand the antipathy towards Allardyce. I have a mate who has been a West Ham season ticket holder for years but refused to go to a single match while Big Sam was in charge. To me he seems like someone who gets the job done and makes unglamorous players perform well, if not exactly excitingly. A lot of managers would like to have the record he has but he seems to be universally loathed. Why?

My dad said "the reason Allardyce doesn't get big jobs? He's too fat." This was way before the England job, by the way.

finnquark

Atletico shithousing their way to another UEFA Cup.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Scunthorpe Rotherham

HOT CHAT

bgmnts

Stuck a quid on Scunthorpe and Marseille to get a draw.

I dont like money.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on May 16, 2018, 09:18:10 PM
Stuck a quid on Scunthorpe and Marseille to get a draw.

I dont like money.

Don't know if you saw Scunny in the first leg but 2nd best at home. Workmanlike.

bgmnts

Aye. Down to 10 men now anyway.

phantom_power

I think the England squad's lack of experience at international level and star names could work in their favour. We could do with a lowering of expectations anyway. If you look at the size of our country and history in these competitions a quarter final spot should be the height of our expectations. If we could get comfortable with that we might enjoy these competitions more

imitationleather

Atletico priced at 91/100 pre-match seemed like crazy odds. FREE MONEY.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Looked at the squad and only picked 9 players I'd even want in the squad. I reckon we might even do better if we only pick those 9 players, although admittedly I didn't include a goalkeeper.

finnquark

Talksport currently trying to square a circle. Having hyped up loads of England players as world class over the course of the season, they now need to write the squad off as terrible. Southgate's a fraud who's bottled it.

imitationleather

WE NEED MARK NOBLE AND HIS PASHUN

Trojan_Jockey

Quote from: imitationleather on May 16, 2018, 10:57:37 PM
WE NEED MARK NOBLE AND HIS PASHUN

It's a good point. We don't have a player who will clap his hands and shout "come on" which is what English football is all about. I suppose Jordan Henderson can do a bit of that. It's not like the old days when Stuart Pearce would scream in your face with pride and Terry Butcher would murder you if you failed to get an isntant erection upon hearing 'God Save the Queen'.

phantom_power

Quote from: finnquark on May 16, 2018, 10:29:58 PM
Talksport currently trying to square a circle. Having hyped up loads of England players as world class over the course of the season, they now need to write the squad off as terrible. Southgate's a fraud who's bottled it.

How are they saying he bottled it? Who didn't he pick that he should have?

And as our most recent player who claps their hands and shouts is Joe Hart and he tried to blame Moyes for being dropped by England, as opposed to him not even being good enough for West Ham, I think it might be an over-rated trait

Ferris

I had friends who bunked off from school to go to Middlesbrough (?) and watch JayJay Okocha's debut for Villa, such was the hype. Pure desolation.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 17, 2018, 01:53:20 AM
I had friends who bunked off from school to go to Middlesbrough (?) and watch JayJay Okocha's debut for Villa, such was the hype. Pure desolation.

Perhaps he should have went to Middlesbrough and watched Bolton.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2018, 11:56:05 PM
How are they saying he bottled it? Who didn't he pick that he should have?

I'm not an England fan, but I think Shelvey has done enough to be in the squad - especially given The Ox's injury and Lallana's lack of fitness. There's not too much creativity in those central midfielders without him.
No other names leap out as surprising omissions though.

phantom_power

Shelvey's temperament has let him down in the past and he has also fluffed his chance at the big league as well so I can see why he wasn't picked. I don't see him as a significantly better choice than Delph, who is more adaptable and plays at a higher level regularly

DrGreggles

Shelvey's been on his best behaviour this season though and Delph, while being a solid enough player, isn't exact blessed with the creativity or passing range of Shelvey. And is Delph there as 3rd choice left back, or a midfielder (even though he hasn't played in that role all season)?

That said, that the only debate about the England squad appears to be the non-inclusion of Shelvey, shows the limited options Southgate actually has.

bgmnts

Yeah but Southgate puts Shelcey in, Shelvey stamps on someone's ankle. Southgate gets grief.

EOLAN

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2018, 10:06:33 PM
I think the England squad's lack of experience at international level and star names could work in their favour. We could do with a lowering of expectations anyway. If you look at the size of our country and history in these competitions a quarter final spot should be the height of our expectations. If we could get comfortable with that we might enjoy these competitions more

I remember one interview Steven Gerrard gave before one of his later tournaments. Giving platitudes towards young players being in the squad but pointing out that he had to make sure they knew how big it was, how much it hurt to lose, not to make stupid mistakes. Basically all negative visualisations of what he didn't want to happen. Thanks Stevie. I was all ready to give it a go and enjoy this great opportunity and give my all; but now I just shitting it.

fat_abbott

The thing I don't get with arguments about Shelvey, Wilshere, Delph, or whoever, you are talking about the 23rd member of a squad, it should be irrelevant, they shouldn't get a look in a tournament of 5 or 6 games.

BlodwynPig

Blodwyn's Preddo: England win tournament.

Norton Canes

Quote from: fat_abbott on May 17, 2018, 10:30:09 AM
The thing I don't get with arguments about Shelvey, Wilshere, Delph, or whoever, you are talking about the 23rd member of a squad, it should be irrelevant, they shouldn't get a look in a tournament of 5 or 6 games

I don't know, even teams that go on to win tournaments have sometimes drafted in fringe players because things weren't clicking in the early games.

I haven't actually got any evidence to back that up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Look it's simple

TERY AND RIO
ASHLEY COLE BEST LEFT BACK IN THE WORLD
LAMPARD AND GERRARD
JOE COLE OPTION ON THE BENCH
WAYNE ROONEY WORLD CLASS
DEFOE AND CROUCHIE

I've always said Crouchie can do a job

BlodwynPig

Norton Canes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2018, 10:51:47 AM
Look it's simple

TERY AND RIO
ASHLEY COLE BEST LEFT BACK IN THE WORLD
LAMPARD AND GERRARD
JOE COLE OPTION ON THE BENCH
WAYNE ROONEY WORLD CLASS
DEFOE AND CROUCHIE

I've always said Crouchie can do a job

You forgot Rob 'Safe Hands' Green between the sticks and a Neville of your choice.

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 17, 2018, 09:16:40 AM
Shelvey's been on his best behaviour this season though and Delph, while being a solid enough player, isn't exact blessed with the creativity or passing range of Shelvey. And is Delph there as 3rd choice left back, or a midfielder (even though he hasn't played in that role all season)?

That said, that the only debate about the England squad appears to be the non-inclusion of Shelvey, shows the limited options Southgate actually has.

I would say Delph is in there for both positions. Versatility is a big plus in these tournaments. And Shelvey has been sent off twice this season so if that is his best behaviour it shows what a problem that is. You also have to take into account the lower level (both in terms of expectation, competition for places and teams faced) he plays at compared to Delph.

I wouldn't have been surprised or upset if he had been picked but I can see why he wasn't

phes

If there is a strange decision for me it's that he didn't pick Smalling alongside Jones. There appears little to choose between him and Cahill so why not pick players who already play alongside each other. That and Stones having been pretty shit at City when they have the ball most of time. Tarkowski has been outstanding at Burnley when they don't. England wont see shit of the ball against anyone half decent

Danny Welbeck to outscore Kane, obviously.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on May 17, 2018, 11:43:31 AM
I would say Delph is in there for both positions. Versatility is a big plus in these tournaments. And Shelvey has been sent off twice this season so if that is his best behaviour it shows what a problem that is. You also have to take into account the lower level (both in terms of expectation, competition for places and teams faced) he plays at compared to Delph.

I wouldn't have been surprised or upset if he had been picked but I can see why he wasn't

Being better at football doesn't seem to have been a criteria either.

thugler

I don't think Delph will get a game. Wilshere might have, as he's almost certainly a better option at central midfield and could play further forward as well.

Take Delph or Young, not both. And Wilshere is probably the best option that wasn't picked. Would have picked Shelvey over Delph too as Delph in midfield has been very poor for a while.

I see the midfield as the weak link. There's not a lot there. Dier/Henderson is not a particularly creative pair and that's why someone like Wilshere would have been a good option. A lot riding on the attacking players really.