Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:37:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2018, 11:56:05 PM
How are they saying he bottled it? Who didn't he pick that he should have?

And as our most recent player who claps their hands and shouts is Joe Hart and he tried to blame Moyes for being dropped by England, as opposed to him not even being good enough for West Ham, I think it might be an over-rated trait

A precis of the points:

- Shelvey is the best midfielder in the Prem
- Wilshere is the best midfielder in the Prem
- Why so many full backs Gareth?
- No Plan B off the bench (implicitly suggesting Candy Arroll)
- Stones isn't good enough
- Henderson is poor
- Dier can't pass
- 14 players in the squad are defensive, too many for me Clive
- Lallana is the best midfielder in the Prem

sevendaughters

I'd have Deeney off the bench. He'd be utterly pumped to be there and some defences would shit their pants. Of course some would mug him for fun.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Srsly tho, Sterling/Alli/Kane seems an alright front 3

bgmnts

Squink

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2018, 01:15:20 PM

Should be. Ledge Del will get himself sent of at some point though. Are we arsed about burning effigies of players etc when that happens still? Or are expectations so low it will merit just a low fart and an arse scratching all round?

Deanjam

I don't understand why he hasn't picked any of those foreign players. Bit racist.

phantom_power

Quote from: finnquark on May 17, 2018, 12:38:14 PM
A precis of the points:

- Shelvey is the best midfielder in the Prem
- Wilshere is the best midfielder in the Prem
- Why so many full backs Gareth?
- No Plan B off the bench (implicitly suggesting Candy Arroll)
- Stones isn't good enough
- Henderson is poor
- Dier can't pass
- 14 players in the squad are defensive, too many for me Clive
- Lallana is the best midfielder in the Prem

Load of bunch of bollocks then. The reason for the full-backs is because he has been experimenting with Walker in a central 3 with wingbacks. Our plan B off the bench is Rashford shitting up tired defences. I much prefer that to getting it in the mixer for Carroll to give away a free kick climbing all over the defender.

I would certainly have Wilshere in the back-ups ahead of Livermore and it is a real shame Lallana hasn't had a  chance to prove his fitness. And yes, Delph is unlikely to play anyway

Neville Chamberlain

The most important thing for England in this upcoming tournament is to push it wide down the mid-line and keep attacking on the defensive flanks.

Captain Z

He should have only taken the 7 players who have played well this season.

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Z on May 17, 2018, 04:23:40 PM
He should have only taken the 7 players who have played well this season.

Alan Hutton is Scottish though?

Rolf Lundgren

Not bothered about the lack of attacking players as the gameplan was never going to be dazzle the opposition with onslaught after onslaught of expansive, entertaining football.

It's keep it tight and send crosses into Kane. Plan B is let Rashford run around for a bit.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2018, 01:15:20 PM
Not more likely Lingard gets the nod (at least at first) ahead of Alli?

Captain Z

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 17, 2018, 05:34:23 PM
It's keep it tight and send crosses into Kane. Plan B is let Rashford run around for a bit.

And who could forget dear Ratboy.

phantom_power

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 17, 2018, 06:15:46 PM

He did in the recent friendlies but I don't know if that was just experimenting. Lingard should be fresher as he has played less football, as should Rashford, though he is pretty much guaranteed to be used as an impact sub

thugler

Quote from: phantom_power on May 17, 2018, 02:49:37 PM
Load of bunch of bollocks then. The reason for the full-backs is because he has been experimenting with Walker in a central 3 with wingbacks.

That doesn't really make sense as Delph has been playing left back, Young left back, Rose left back. If he's experimenting with Walker in central defence then surely he'd pick another right back rather than 3 left backs?. Delph has played central midfield once this season, and was terrible there last year.

So we have only 4 central midfielders, one of which noone would want to see play there.

Anyone of the names other than Delph would be a better pick.

He'll probably be player of the tournament now I've said this.

im barry bethel

Delph and Young are in to fill the Phil Neville role, but with less quality than 10 man David Alaba. That Shelvey/Wilshire are considered omitions just shows up the lack of creativity available but seeing as there's no Eriksson or Mahrez to service Kane and Vardy it will come down to Walker crossing for the total 3 goals for the tournament so it's a superfluous argument anyway

Norton Canes

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 17, 2018, 06:15:46 PM

I get the impression Dele Alli is being touted as our best (i.e. only) creative midfield hope, sure he'll be there at least at the start.

phantom_power

It is no surprise we have no creativity in midfield and Southgate knows it. He will get us playing short, direct passing to break quickly or get down the wing for the crosses. It is not the worst tactic in the world to attempt. At least it is a clear ethos he can pass down to the hopefully compliant players rather than just letting Stevie G and Lamps get on with it like past managers seemed to do.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Liverpool and Tottenham don't have exciting holding continuity midfielders either, I guess their job is to get the ball up to the front 3/4  with the minimum of fuss, and be vaguely 13s or 14s* in most areas.

*football manager gradings out of 20

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2018, 11:04:59 AM
Liverpool and Tottenham don't have exciting holding continuity midfielders either, I guess their job is to get the ball up to the front 3/4  with the minimum of fuss, and be vaguely 13s or 14s* in most areas.

its not football manager

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2018, 11:04:59 AM

We don't have Salah, Firmino and Mane which is a bit of a spanner in the works, but I think the principle is sound enough

bgmnts

Henderson is better than people give him credit for I feel but yeah no real Pirlos there.

sevendaughters

Liverpool play three grinders behind three talents, and Kane is at least a true talent. And Sterling when he isn't sulking.

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on May 18, 2018, 12:12:24 PM
Henderson is better than people give him credit for I feel but yeah no real Pirlos there.

Henderson needs to show his club form at International level. Given the similarity in style now this is his best chance to do that. He certainly looked the best I have seen him in an England shirt in the last friendly he played in

monkfromhavana

Quote from: im barry bethel on May 18, 2018, 09:43:40 AM
Delph and Young are in to fill the Phil Neville role, but with less quality than 10 man David Alaba. That Shelvey/Wilshire are considered omitions just shows up the lack of creativity available but seeing as there's no Eriksson or Mahrez to service Kane and Vardy it will come down to Walker crossing for the total 3 goals for the tournament so it's a superfluous argument anyway

I think that that David Alaba interview and subsequent punditry was the highlight of the last World Cup for me.

BlodwynPig

all this beige England chat. I'm sure consensus was "give up on Engerlund" after Iceland. I hope your hearts swell with pride as they progress to the SF only to be tonked by Togo.

Utter Shit

Quote from: bgmnts on May 18, 2018, 12:12:24 PM

Only to the extent that he's mediocre rather than outright crap.

monkfromhavana

What a great game, and not just Cov won 4-1. Certainly got the rub of the green with the decisions, but we should have been 3-0 up after the 1st half.

Exeter!

Sgt. Duckie

It's the FA cup final!

Sgt. Duckie

Marty Keown is commentating.