Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:44:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Come on, let's have some blatant off-the-ball chinnings!

bgmnts

Can someone explain how its kot a red card?

Did the rules change?

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2018, 05:36:41 PM

Did the rules change?

I think there was meant to be a bit more benefit of the doubt given to the defending team when it's further out from goal (more consideration to covering defenders and the like), and there had always been the argument that it's a double punishment if there's a penalty and a sending off*, but I'm pretty sure that was 'denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity' whichever way you look at it.

Still, Michael Oliver innit.

*don't foul in the penalty area then!

BlodwynPig

Always hated Jones. A fucking clod hopper

BlodwynPig

DrGreggles

From an England perspective, it probably does mean that Phil 'Three Point Turn' Jones won't start against Belgium.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 19, 2018, 05:43:36 PM
Martin "great foul" Keown

At least he sticks to his area of expertise.

bgmnts

Oh right the rule has changed then.

Fucking stupid.

Sgt. Duckie

A sluggish first half. Phil Jones looking a right goose. Twats everywhere. Compressed and narrow. Sweaty bollocks but no real bollocks. Where is paul pogba? Why?

finnquark

This montage is getting me all worked up for when England play in Stalingrad.

DrGreggles

It gives the refs an excuse to bottle it.
Jones was never going to get the ball there, and made sure he got to Hazard.
But, as long as they lunge in the vague direction of the ball, they can not give a red card due to the defender 'making a genuine attempt to play the ball'.
Anything that allows the referee's discretion is a shit rule.

If they are going to bring in that rule, why not leave the defender in limbo until after the penalty?
Yellow card if it's scored, red card if it isn't.

DrGreggles

Not that this game isn't holding my attention, but I just saw Celtic's 1st goal from earlier.
Bit of a TWAT wasn't it!

DrGreggles

"That was VAR working well."

Yep. Just 90 seconds between everyone seeing a replay showing it was offside and the referee giving the offside decision.

Trojan_Jockey

Paul Pogba is the Neil Webb of his generation

bgmnts

I think most top 6 clubs must be breathing heavy sighs of relief over the fact Utd spunked 80 mil on such a waste of space when they could have brought in two or three top players in. Shudder to think.

BlodwynPig

Ponderous! Bring on Giggs

DrGreggles

Congratulations to the lesser of two evils.

Fuck me, that was a rotten match.

im barry bethel

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2018, 05:36:41 PM

Did the rules change?

Double jeopardy innit

Still though Conte's accent gives me the fucking horn

rjd2

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
I think most top 6 clubs must be breathing heavy sighs of relief over the fact Utd spunked 80 mil on such a waste of space when they could have brought in two or three top players in. Shudder to think.

Is he shit though? Bossed it at Juve. Ultimately look at United's attackers and who has improved under his tenure? Martial, Rashford,Pogba and Sanchez would not be upset if he left tomorrow.

bgmnts

Quote from: rjd2 on May 19, 2018, 09:35:50 PM
Is he shit though? Bossed it at Juve. Ultimately look at United's attackers and who has improved under his tenure? Martial, Rashford,Pogba and Sanchez would not be upset if he left tomorrow.

Oh yeah its most definitely the Mourinho factor. I just feel getting some premier league experienced players in rather than someone who did well in the Italian league which, lets face it, is a step down from the Premier League.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2018, 09:41:08 PM
Oh yeah its most definitely the Mourinho factor. I just feel getting some premier league experienced players in rather than someone who did well in the Italian league which, lets face it, is a step down from the Premier League.

a step down you say?

DrGreggles

Since Mourinho first landed at Chelsea, I can think of one attacker  (Drogba) who has benefited from playing under him.
Other than money, there would be no reason why a top forward would join one of his sides.

Z

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 19, 2018, 11:45:16 PM
Since Mourinho first landed at Chelsea, I can think of one attacker  (Drogba) who has benefited from playing under him.
Other than money, there would be no reason why a top forward would join one of his sides.
Eto'o worked pretty well with him at Inter, no?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Z on May 20, 2018, 12:14:14 AM
Eto'o worked pretty well with him at Inter, no?

He didn't reach Barca heights though, did he.

DrGreggles

Anyway, not all cup finals were shite today.

Over in Germany...

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 19, 2018, 06:13:31 PM
It gives the refs an excuse to bottle it.
Jones was never going to get the ball there, and made sure he got to Hazard.
But, as long as they lunge in the vague direction of the ball, they can not give a red card due to the defender 'making a genuine attempt to play the ball'.
Anything that allows the referee's discretion is a shit rule.

If they are going to bring in that rule, why not leave the defender in limbo until after the penalty?
Yellow card if it's scored, red card if it isn't.

Although to be fair, in this case Jones actually made it easier for Hazard. If he had stayed on his feet and just hassled him then it would have been a pretty tricky shot. It is almost like Hazard delayed shooting to draw in the tackle as he didn't quite have it under control for the shot. The penalty was much easier to score

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Didn't watch as Man Utd/Chelsea is a profoundly unappealing prospect at any time.

But nevertheless ha ha loosers

Depressed Beyond Tables

Like the cut of Southgate's jib; England for the semis, at least.

Blinder Data

I must say I LOVE this story about Roman Abramovich having visa troubles. It'll be sorted out soon of course but the thought of him experiencing inconvenience in the meantime is pleasing

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 21, 2018, 03:54:03 PM
I must say I LOVE this story about Roman Abramovich having visa troubles. It'll be sorted out soon of course but the thought of him experiencing inconvenience in the meantime is pleasing

Oh look, half the English squad just got visas denied for the world cup