Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 06, 2017, 02:09:37 PM
No idea why any Premiership team would want Rooney now - they might as well plant a sequoia in the final third of the pitch. He should be off to that new England Legends' retirement home - what's it called? Oh yeah, Aston Villa.

...yeah, that's the kind of top-six wanker-sneering I would like to avoid in future. You should say "second tier" next time; really lay into anyone who doesn't watch Spurs (or whoever).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 06, 2017, 11:03:21 PM
The pathetic thing about this is the Manchester City fan style pretence that if a billionaire took over Newcastle and started pouring money in, you'd adopt some kind of moral high ground about the whole thing. Did you get very angry when Newcastle broke the world transfer record to sign Shearer?

I was 10 so yes the morals of transfer spending were uppermost in my mind.

Worth pointing out Man Utd bought our best striker (Andy Cole) and we only paid £15 million because of a bidding war with...yes..you guessed it.

doppelkorn

What would you do if your child disobeyed your wishes and decided to support MUFC "because they win things dad"?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 07, 2017, 06:24:24 AM
What would you do if your child disobeyed your wishes and decided to support MUFC "because they win things dad"?

What wishes?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 07, 2017, 06:19:53 AM
Worth pointing out Man Utd bought our best striker (Andy Cole) and we only paid £15 million because of a bidding war with...yes..you guessed it.

Hahahahahaha! Even when Newcastle have to dip their dainty fingers in the muck, it's only down to the nasty Manchester bullies making them. They certainly hadn't paid a record fee for a defender when buying Warren Barton (Warren Barton!) 12 months previously, had they? In the same summer that they spent heavily on Ginola and Ferdinand. No, it's all lies, the team that nearly won the league was composed largely of youth team products. Oh no, wait, that was the team that actually did win the league.

Look, you don't like Manchester United. That's fair enough, you've every right not to, and football would be nothing without hating the opposition. Just don't try and build it up into some ridiculous moral crusade.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 07, 2017, 12:56:47 AM
Like, there's a genuine risk of Rooney being remembered as a possible "best English player ever" type candidate as time goes on, isn't there? Good chance he'll break the appearances record, he has the goals record, he was one of the best players in the league for years...

No chance he'll break the appearances record, surely? He'll be lucky to get back in the squad at all, I'd have thought.

Norton Canes

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 07, 2017, 03:25:00 AM
...yeah, that's the kind of top-six wanker-sneering I would like to avoid in future. You should say "second tier" next time; really lay into anyone who doesn't watch Spurs (or whoever)

Just for the record, I owe no allegiance to a team that's been anywhere near the top six places of the first tier for the last 30 years.

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 07, 2017, 12:56:47 AM
Rooney returning to Everton could be as much a long term move as anything, pull back some more of an association between him and Everton. I don't really think of him as an Everton player at all but a few photos of him as a teenager and a whatever he is now in the Everton jersey probably could help the brand a good bit.

Like, there's a genuine risk of Rooney being remembered as a possible "best English player ever" type candidate as time goes on, isn't there? Good chance he'll break the appearances record, he has the goals record, he was one of the best players in the league for years...

Thats it with Rooney - his career has been a massive success. Records and trophies all over and yet you can't help but feel he under acheived.

I think a fair bit harps back to the Rooney that came on the scene and gave you tingles every time he got on the ball. Think it might have been France in the Euros when he was about 18, and there was excitement anytime he was near the ball. Fergie made him a better team player, but the spark that makes the like of Best, Gazza, etc so exhilarating was gone.

As a move for Everton there are lots of off the pitch benefits, and there could well be an indian summer for him in a different role. Less complacency and a new spark.

Worse case they'll flog him to China, US or Dubai if hes truly shot.

DrGreggles

Quote from: funtimefrankie on July 07, 2017, 10:20:23 AM
Thats it with Rooney - his career has been a massive success. Records and trophies all over and yet you can't help but feel he under acheived.

Or he was ridiculously overhyped and fulfilled his actual potential.

greenman

Quote from: funtimefrankie on July 07, 2017, 10:20:23 AM

I think a fair bit harps back to the Rooney that came on the scene and gave you tingles every time he got on the ball. Think it might have been France in the Euros when he was about 18, and there was excitement anytime he was near the ball. Fergie made him a better team player, but the spark that makes the like of Best, Gazza, etc so exhilarating was gone.

As a move for Everton there are lots of off the pitch benefits, and there could well be an indian summer for him in a different role. Less complacency and a new spark.

Worse case they'll flog him to China, US or Dubai if hes truly shot.

I'd say the spark was there for Man Utd for the rest of the decade at least and maybe a bit longer, problem is he never performed for England at a major championship again after 2004, mostly due to being injuried/worn out at the end of the season as Kane seemingly was last summer. Having arguably the best player in the world playing along side of him for part of that peak period at Man Utd didn't help either.

imitationleather

My fucking God If KR Reykjavik had lost yesterday I would have won £1,059 on a ten-game accumulator that I picked at total random.

It is true what the seasoned gamblers say. Accas are for complete and utter mugs. Still going to go and spend £1,059 on some shite like I won, though. I mean, I pretty much did.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 07, 2017, 09:38:20 AM
Hahahahahaha! Even when Newcastle have to dip their dainty fingers in the muck, it's only down to the nasty Manchester bullies making them. They certainly hadn't paid a record fee for a defender when buying Warren Barton (Warren Barton!) 12 months previously, had they? In the same summer that they spent heavily on Ginola and Ferdinand. No, it's all lies, the team that nearly won the league was composed largely of youth team products. Oh no, wait, that was the team that actually did win the league.

Look, you don't like Manchester United. That's fair enough, you've every right not to, and football would be nothing without hating the opposition. Just don't try and build it up into some ridiculous moral crusade.

That's not what I said. And I didn't deny Newcastle spent money. However the reason Shearer went for 15 million was down to a bidding war inflated by Manchester United's determination.

Look, Manchester United are a disgusting morally repugnant football club. It isn't necessary to support or not support any other club to work that out, nor would doing so lessen the pertinence of saying so.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 07, 2017, 03:26:37 PM
That's not what I said. And I didn't deny Newcastle spent money. However the reason Shearer went for 15 million was down to a bidding war inflated by Manchester United's determination.

This is such transparent bullshit. Since Newcastle won the bidding war, they were obviously even more determined to participate in the morally repugnant act of buying a new player. You should immediately disavow such a clearly evil organisation.

phantom_power

Speaking of morally repugnant, how is Mike Ashley's trial going?

BlodwynPig

Look, Manchester United are a disgusting morally repugnant football club. It isn't necessary to support or not support any other club to work that out, nor would doing so lessen the pertinence of saying so.

How's the scrap metal business doing, Sessio?

BlodwynPig

My first football match that I went to (Newcastle vs. Arsenal), an Arsenal fan was stabbed to death. That's mostly the reason I refused to follow them. In the long run, I was justified in my decision as all subsequent matches I went to up until the 5-0 victory over Cardiff about 5 years ago, they lost. Oh, and their chairman and fans were mostly a bunch of pricks.

doppelkorn

Look, Manchester United are a disgusting morally repugnant football club.

What would you do if your son or daughter came home wearing a Man Utd shirt and licking a picture of Alex Ferguson? What would you actually do?

phantom_power

The whole of top flight English football is obscene. To single one team out as if any other team would act any differently in the same circumstances is juvenile bullshit. United are one of the few teams to actually be able to afford the ridiculous money they spend and that still isn't an excuse.

Squink

Didn't realise Shoulders had fathered so many children.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 07, 2017, 07:36:37 PM
What would you do if your son or daughter came home wearing a Man Utd shirt and licking a picture of Alex Ferguson? What would you actually do?

Laugh.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phantom_power on July 07, 2017, 08:41:54 PM
The whole of top flight English football is obscene. To single one team out as if any other team would act any differently in the same circumstances is juvenile bullshit. United are one of the few teams to actually be able to afford the ridiculous money they spend and that still isn't an excuse.

No it isn't, Manchester United were trailblazers at it in England during the 1990s and their behaviour established the culture we now see. They're just even more pathetic now as their financial model has been twice superceded yet they continue ploughing ever more ridiculous sums of money in. As I say, whataboutism is irrelevant, my point stands on its own just as well. Meanwhile other leagues around the world and even other clubs in this country are run differently, without pantomime villain owners, pantomime villain chairmen and chief executives, pantomime villain managers, pantomime villain psycho ex-pros. The whole reason an entirely different proxy Manchester United football club was created by Manchester United fans is because they agree with this assessment, these people clearly didn't think 'everyone else would do the same' and buy into your defeatist apologist statement that everyone else would do the same.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

If they spend £100m on lukaku im going to laugh for weeks.

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 08, 2017, 08:20:02 AM
No it isn't, Manchester United were trailblazers at it in England during the 1990s and their behaviour established the culture we now see. They're just even more pathetic now as their financial model has been twice superceded yet they continue ploughing ever more ridiculous sums of money in. As I say, whataboutism is irrelevant, my point stands on its own just as well. Meanwhile other leagues around the world and even other clubs in this country are run differently, without pantomime villain owners, pantomime villain chairmen and chief executives, pantomime villain managers, pantomime villain psycho ex-pros. The whole reason an entirely different proxy Manchester United football club was created by Manchester United fans is because they agree with this assessment, these people clearly didn't think 'everyone else would do the same' and buy into your defeatist apologist statement that everyone else would do the same.

Sky had more to do with the spending explosion of the 90s than anyone else. United had more money so could afford to spend more, until the sugar daddy owners came along. FC United were formed as a reaction to the Glazers, not because United were big nasty baddies. Apart from that you are completely wrong still.

How is Mike Ashley's trial going? I am surprised with your moral fortitude that you didn't stop supporting Newcastle once that human skidmark took over

Shay Chaise

Everton apparently tossed out and then withdrew a £65m bid for Virgil van Dijk. I would really like him but not for the sums suggested. Fair play to Soton, they told Liverpool to get fucked a while ago, I feel like Everton just made the bid to say, 'we could if we wanted to'. I'd say I'd rather spend that on Siggy and Giroud, though, plus another centre back.

KING ROON is due a bit-part renaissance back at home. He's always said he'd only ever go back to Everton in the PL. A year or so with us and then he can get properly fat in Guangzhou.

monkfromhavana

Is this the year that much-hyped wunderkind Jordan Ponticelli makes the leap into Coventry's 1st team squad?

I'm slightly hopeful for the forthcoming season, Robins at the helm, transfer business done early, and some of our best players have signed new contracts. Weird he wants to get rid of Cian Harries though, he's been highly thought of at the club and attracted some attention from the Premier LEague even though he's only played a few times.

Tell me what's happening at your lower league club, as I tend to get a bit bored of the neverending Premier League transfer sagas.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Shay Chaise on July 08, 2017, 09:10:43 AM
Everton apparently tossed out and then withdrew a £65m bid for Virgil van Dijk. I would really like him but not for the sums suggested.

Why do you care? It's not your money.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on July 08, 2017, 08:30:26 AM

I find it funnier Everton might be taking Rooney. This is a club trying to progress.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 08, 2017, 11:44:48 AM

I suppose people say stuff like that because if the club is spending a large portion of their money on one player it might limit them in their spending in other areas of the team. Everton seem very gung-ho this Summer with spending though.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 08, 2017, 11:44:48 AM

You're quite a combative chap. Have a qamomile tea.

Given we have a number of other targets and FFP dictates that resources/spending are finite, I wouldn't like to allocate that much because it would limit our other options.

phantom_power

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on July 08, 2017, 08:30:26 AM

His scoring record speaks for its self. Over the last 5 years he has been the most consistent striker in the league. Given how much Moratta was going to cost and the general massive spike in transfer fees this summer (50 million for Dier?!) then 75 plus Rooney plus add-ons is a good price, for a player who theoretically should be coming into his prime

He isn't perfect but then he is young enough to improve