Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TORONTO MEET - Friday July 7th 2017

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2017, 04:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Phenomenal. The best night for over a decade... a great night with Mr. Q, topped off by an unexpected open air concert by an incredible insane funk band from Vancouver called Five Alarm Funk. It took me back to the 90s in Newcastle - the kerazzy theatrics and stage presence of Sleepy People mixed with the party Yiddish music of The Baghdaddies.

This was on another level. Costumes, psychedelics, inflatable sharks, gorilla on the congas, captain caveman pagan poet on drums. Heaven and then some...

Check them out!

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 07, 2017, 10:04:54 PM
You're the Canadian ImitationLeather. Ffs

I'm in Toronto now and cooling down before heading into the big city (5 steps across the road)

Well for my penance, here I am up at 5.40am about to drive for 3 hours. Fucking cottage shiiiiit

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

QDRPHNC

Thanks, Blodwyn, for a great night! Here we are full of beer and Indian food.

Ferris

Alright knobheads. Just had an excellent afternoon/evening in Castro's in the beaches. Pushing for it as location for next TO meet.

They have Thelonius Hank playing every Saturday 6-8 and they are ace, live band taking recommendations for any rockabilly you can name and the beers are agreeably craft (to the point where a snobby prick like me is happy with the spread).

Highly recommend, perfect for CaB meet.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 20, 2017, 02:34:03 AM
Alright knobheads. Just had an excellent afternoon/evening in Castro's in the beaches. Pushing for it as location for next TO meet.

They have Thelonius Hank playing every Saturday 6-8 and they are ace, live band taking recommendations for any rockabilly you can name and the beers are agreeably craft (to the point where a snobby prick like me is happy with the spread).

Highly recommend, perfect for CaB meet.

Just to sell this, they took a request for Johnny Cash and played Folsom Prison, but re-christened it as "Steve Bannon Blues" and all references to "Folsom Prison" were replaced with "the White House". Lot of improv lyrics, very well done. Great bar. Want to again pls.

QDRPHNC

I'm up for Castro's, but I was hoping Blodwyn could stay at our place in the east end so he wouldn't have to get a hotel. Unfortunately, we're in the middle of moving and our place is an absolutely shitstorm.

Have you ever been to Captain Jack's in the beaches? On no account would I suggest spending the whole evening there, but it's always entertaining when you're already quite drunk. Full on dive bar with cheap drinks and creepy old patrons.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 20, 2017, 10:56:09 PM
I'm up for Castro's, but I was hoping Blodwyn could stay at our place in the east end so he wouldn't have to get a hotel. Unfortunately, we're in the middle of moving and our place is an absolutely shitstorm.

Have you ever been to Captain Jack's in the beaches? On no account would I suggest spending the whole evening there, but it's always entertaining when you're already quite drunk. Full on dive bar with cheap drinks and creepy old patrons.

No (far too middle class) but I've always wanted to go. I'm told Neil Young's brother is a regular patron. Surely Castros-captain Jacks a legit 1-2 in whichever order? As long as I'm well enough to get back on the queen streetcar west, I'm in favour of it.

QDRPHNC

Sounds good. But Captain Jack's last, seriously.

BlodwynPig

Up for it, but please let me know date as hotel prices go mad if you try and book a week before.

QDRPHNC

Earliest I can do is weekend of September 9th. Should be settled into the new place by then, so Blodwyn you're welcome to stay over. And the new place is the neighbourhood of Allen's, only the finest Irish bar in the city. Maybe tie one on there, eh?

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 20, 2017, 11:33:15 PM
Earliest I can do is weekend of September 9th. Should be settled into the new place by then, so Blodwyn you're welcome to stay over. And the new place is the neighbourhood of Allen's, only the finest Irish bar in the city. Maybe tie one on there, eh?

Allen's is also cracking, but a bit of a bugger for me to get home from (504 streetcar maybe). I think I'd call it a night after CJ's, I can only really do a few pints anyway because I'm a bit pathetic.

Still, good plan though. 15/16th September? Bit of a long wait, but I'm worth it (I'm not).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 20, 2017, 11:43:41 PM
Allen's is also cracking, but a bit of a bugger for me to get home from (504 streetcar maybe). I think I'd call it a night after CJ's, I can only really do a few pints anyway because I'm a bit pathetic.

Still, good plan though. 15/16th September? Bit of a long wait, but I'm worth it (I'm not).

Backing out already?

9th or 15th work for me. Also if you fancy hiking - we were planning to do that - but scheduling looks difficult now as I'm off to Europe 25th September and will be back mid-October.

QDRPHNC

15th works for me too... Maybe a hike on the 9th, Blodwyn?

BlodwynPig

QDRPHNC

Somebody got stabbed at Captain Jack's last night. We'll be fine though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 27, 2017, 03:14:34 PM
Somebody got stabbed at Captain Jack's last night. We'll be fine though.

Sorry about that, won't happen again ;)

BlodwynPig

seems walkable from centre of Toronto - given that it looks about the same distance to where I stayed in Koreatown.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, it's walkable, but it's a walk.

BlodwynPig

The big question is, is it strollable?

QDRPHNC

Stroll until it becomes untenable, then hop on a streetcar.

Dex Sawash

Ferris

It's a bit far but is on the Queen streetcar line and gives lovely views of Leslieville, the shit bit before the beaches, then the beaches. And the Queen streetcar is always full of colourful characters, so it's really an excellent ride and should be viewed as part of the experience.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 27, 2017, 06:57:00 PM
It's a bit far but is on the Queen streetcar line and gives lovely views of Leslieville, the shit bit before the beaches, then the beaches. And the Queen streetcar is always full of colourful characters, so it's really an excellent ride and should be viewed as part of the experience.

How do you pay for a streetcar? driver?

Noddy Tomkey

Nobody responded to my other post in this thread, so I can only assume that you either didn't get it or thought it was too shit and obvious to bother with. Well.

https://youtu.be/poddYVpSTPc

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on August 27, 2017, 10:32:01 PM
Nobody responded to my other post in this thread, so I can only assume that you either didn't get it or thought it was too shit and obvious to bother with. Well.

https://youtu.be/poddYVpSTPc

I saw the "Kids in the Hall" Star on Toronto's "Walk of Fame" or whatever it is...I don't think I've seen the show.

Noddy Tomkey

I met a Canadian once and he said it was the kind of show your stepdad likes. I'm an ex-stepdad and I love some of it.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 27, 2017, 10:08:02 PM
How do you pay for a streetcar? driver?

Yup, like a bus in the uk. $3.25 in cash (no change), a TTC token, or a tap of your presto card (an Oyster card basically).

Fun fact, I'm posting this while on a streetcar right now!