Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

So this has been chuntering along for a while. Shooting started in February with Alden ('Would that it were so simple') Ehrenreich in the lead, supported by Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Michael K. Williams, with Donald Glover as Young Lando. Script by Lawrence Kasdan and his son Jon and directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Bit of an odd choice for directing, but I assumed Kathleen Kennedy wanted to inject some of that Jump Street zest into the movie. Except apparently she didn't, because they've been fired with three weeks left to shoot.

Apparently L&M were unhappy over the tight control exerted by KK, while she hated they way they ran the set. So now there's no director running the ship and DGA rules mean having to get someone from outside to finish the movie and, unless L&M are happy to let it go out with either their names or a pseudonym as director, reshooting a chunk of what's already been done.

These Star Wars Anthologies aren't turning out too well, are they? After this, Josh Trank being sacked from the Boba Fett film and Gareth Edwards being replaced by Tony Gilroy and Rogue One being reshot, one wonders who would want to work on Star Wars after the current trilogy is over.

saltysnacks

Why are they even making this? Who cares what Han Solo did before Star Wars?

Edit: I forgot, we're talking about Star Wars here.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Ehrenreich won't have to come back for additional filming. Apparently, the scenes with Han shot first.

SteveDave

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 21, 2017, 11:54:48 AM
Ehrenreich won't have to come back for additional filming. Apparently, the scenes with Han shot first.

LOCK THE THREAD

SteveDave

Ron Howard was mentioned as being the replacement director too.

I'm all for this but only if he does an Arrested Development style voice over.

biggytitbo

They could at least ask Nicholas Lyndhurst, I reckon he'd do it for free. He'd probably even supply his own clapperboard.

Blumf

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 21, 2017, 06:21:36 PM
He'd probably even supply his own clapperboard.

Would have to get it back from the pawn shop first

Replies From View

Was Clapperboard the one who had a miscarriage?

Glebe

Well, obviously alarm bells start ringing when something like this happens, but I wouldn't despair just yet. There's such a level of expectation with the SW franchise now, I doubt their gonna majorly compromise anything. And Lawrence Kasdan's script is apparently top notch, according to ace concept artist Ian McCaig.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 21, 2017, 11:54:48 AMEhrenreich won't have to come back for additional filming. Apparently, the scenes with Han shot first.

They beat you to it.

....And, hmmm, just checking out this Variety exclusive, apparently Kasdan clashed with them too.

Skip Bittman

Quote from: Glebe on June 21, 2017, 09:33:33 PMI doubt their gonna majorly compromise anything.

Are there many cases of films turning out brilliant when the director is fired when filming is almost complete?

mothman

Ron Howard's been confirmed as director.

Quote from: SteveDave on June 21, 2017, 12:01:35 PM
I'm all for this but only if he does an Arrested Development style voice over.

Leia: "I love you."
Han: "I know."
Narrator: "He didn't."

SteveDave

Quote from: mothman on June 22, 2017, 04:57:39 PM
Ron Howard's been confirmed as director.

Leia: "I love you."
Han: "I know."
Narrator: "He didn't."

If I could've thought of this yesterday, I'd be a Twitter millionaire by now.

mothman

I've just belatedly Tweeted it. By now a million other monkeys will have independently come up with something similar but there you go.

mobias

What a load of horse shit this is. They'd be far better off exploring the expanded Star Wars universe in games alone rather than shit movies. Rogue One could have easily been a really good single player game. Exploring Han Solo's formative years could again be done in a really well put together game. No need for movies of this sort anymore.

phantom_power

or leave the directors to do what they were hired for

Steven

Isn't Ron Howard the most boring director ever? Whoop.

biggytitbo

He's the baldest director ever.

phantom_power

He is functional and reliable and, given there is only a few weeks left to shoot, that is probably what they want

greenman

Quote from: Steven on June 22, 2017, 06:55:58 PM
Isn't Ron Howard the most boring director ever? Whoop.

It might somewhat lessen the load of annoying metahumour though.

Skip Bittman

Maybe he'll bring the award-winning humor that made "A Beautiful Mind" such a comedy classic.

biggytitbo

How many Han Solos are there in his? 2 or 3 or are they going the whole hog and having well over 200 of them?

SteveDave

Quote from: mobias on June 22, 2017, 05:59:40 PM
What a load of horse shit this is. They'd be far better off exploring the expanded Star Wars universe in games alone rather than shit movies. Rogue One could have easily been a really good single player game. Exploring Han Solo's formative years could again be done in a really well put together game. No need for movies of this sort anymore.

I don't play computer games as I'm not 12. I do watch Star Wars films though so...hmmm. I think I've just self-owned.

Shit Good Nose

Ron Howard is an odd choice for this anyway, but even odder as a pick-up director just finishing up the last few weeks. 

Are we heading towards the first Star Wars film directed by Alan Smithee?

Whole soundtrack redone by Hans Zimmer will be the main change, of course.

biggytitbo

Could Ron Howard have been picked because from some angles his head looks like the death star?

daf

biggytitbo

I'd have upwards of 200 Shreks.

Glebe

I'd pop a few minions in the mix, just to spice things up!

Steven

I've heard the plot will entail the Millenium Falcons oxygen tanks accidentally exploding so they have to somehow slingshot around the moon to get back home before the air runs out. After an emergency landing outside Arnold's Diner Han then walks through the door and hits a jukebox and goes "Ayyy!" and Spaceman by Babylon Zoo starts up, roll credits.

daf

Glebe

Quote from: Steven on June 23, 2017, 06:10:20 PMI've heard the plot will entail the Millenium Falcons oxygen tanks accidentally exploding so they have to somehow slingshot around the moon to get back home before the air runs out. After an emergency landing outside Arnold's Diner Han then walks through the door and hits a jukebox and goes "Ayyy!" and Spaceman by Babylon Zoo starts up, roll credits.

I'll tell you something, I for one won't be hanging around for a 'post credits' scene!