Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:49:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: colacentral on April 10, 2018, 06:35:22 PM
I don't think this looks that bad - like Rogue One it looks more like original Star Wars than the Abrams sequels. The original film especially had a murky, depressing 70's sci-fi feel to it, leavened by the humour of the droids and Han.

I hear this a lot but I don't agree.  Both Rogue One and Solo have the look of your typical modern blockbuster; a desaturated aesthetic, with lots of post-production filters applied.  Yes, the look of the world in the original Star Wars trilogy was gritty and grimy but the cinematography itself wasn't; it was very naturalistic and earthy in its visual approach.  The current trend for aesthetics in Hollywood is about a million miles away from the aesthetic of the 70's and 80's, when the original trilogy movies were filmed.

Quote from: colacentral on April 10, 2018, 06:35:22 PM
They weren't fast paced light hearted knock about adventure films. I feel like J J Abrams was thinking of that Flash Gordon film when he made episode VII - maybe someone should have told him "wrong franchise."

FUN FACT: George Lucas wanted to make a Flash Gordon film but was unable to secure the rights, so he made a film inspired by Flash Gordan instead; Star Wars.

idunnosomename

This looks like even more of a fan film than Rogue One does

Truly appalling

colacentral

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 10, 2018, 08:22:44 PM
I hear this a lot but I don't agree.  Both Rogue One and Solo have the look of your typical modern blockbuster; a desaturated aesthetic, with lots of post-production filters applied.  Yes, the look of the world in the original Star Wars trilogy was gritty and grimy but the cinematography itself wasn't; it was very naturalistic and earthy in its visual approach.  The current trend for aesthetics in Hollywood is about a million miles away from the aesthetic of the 70's and 80's, when the original trilogy movies were filmed.

FUN FACT: George Lucas wanted to make a Flash Gordon film but was unable to secure the rights, so he made a film inspired by Flash Gordan instead; Star Wars.

I already know that about Star Wars and Flash Gordon, but I'm talking about the camp Queen-soundtrack film.

As for your first point: I'm A) mostly talking about tonally, and B) talking about which of the two - the spinoffs or the numbered sequels - feels closer to the originals. I wouldn't necessarily say that Rogue One feels like the original Star Wars, but as I said earlier, it does feel like something like Shadows of the Empire. And like the original film, it felt real - much more so than The Force Awakens, which feels like a cartoon, despite the much-hyped practical effects.

St_Eddie

Quote from: colacentral on April 10, 2018, 08:53:11 PM
I already know that about Star Wars and Flash Gordon, but I'm talking about the camp Queen-soundtrack film.

As for your first point: I'm A) mostly talking about tonally, and B) talking about which of the two - the spinoffs or the numbered sequels - feels closer to the originals. I wouldn't necessarily say that Rogue One feels like the original Star Wars, but as I said earlier, it does feel like something like Shadows of the Empire. And like the original film, it felt real - much more so than The Force Awakens, which feels like a cartoon, despite the much-hyped practical effects.

Ah, okay.  I hate pretty much everything about Rogue One but I can absolutely see where you're coming from.

Avril Lavigne

This actually happened:

(earlier today)
MY MUM: Ooh I saw the trailer for that new Star Wars, it looks good.
ME: The Han Solo movie?
MY MUM: Yeah.
ME: I think they chose a good actor to play Lando.
MY MUM: Isn't it the same man?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on April 11, 2018, 01:05:17 AM
This actually happened:

(earlier today)
MY MUM: Ooh I saw the trailer for that new Star Wars, it looks good.
ME: The Han Solo movie?
MY MUM: Yeah.
ME: I think they chose a good actor to play Lando.
MY MUM: Isn't it the same man?

Heh.  A similar thing happened with a fair few people, regarding digital Peter Cushing in Rogue One.  They thought that it was simply the same (live-action and non-deceased) actor from the original Star Wars.  The mind boggles.

idunnosomename

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 11, 2018, 02:45:13 AM
Heh.  A similar thing happened with a fair few people, regarding digital Peter Cushing in Rogue One.  They thought that it was simply the same (live-action and non-deceased) actor from the original Star Wars.  The mind boggles.
isn't it the same "actor" as that cartoon rebels thing though

Dr Rock

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 11, 2018, 08:31:33 AM
isn't it the same "actor" as that cartoon rebels thing though

No it's Donald Glover out of Community.

surreal

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 11, 2018, 09:31:44 AM

It's Childish Gambino... this did make me laugh, I wish it was genuine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwH0cMBMVh0

mothman

GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!

THERE'S A NEW STAR WARS MOVIE COMING OUT IN A MONTH AND A HALF! I'M SO EXCITED!!!! *bounces happily*

No? OK.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 11, 2018, 02:45:13 AM

All white pixels look alike

Mister Six

Quote from: surreal on April 11, 2018, 04:02:57 PM
It's Childish Gambino... this did make me laugh, I wish it was genuine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwH0cMBMVh0

There's a Rap Genius page done by the bloke who did that. Best lines are:

Don't need a line cause she know I'm famous/I'm in a castle on a cloud city, I don't know what lame is/I rob a motherfucker blind man, I promise.

If you look at the text on that bit you'll see "lame is" becomes "les mis".

Cloud on a Castle is a song from Les Miserables, aka Les Mis.

And he blurs the lines together so that "lame is/I rob" comes out like "Les Miserables" (in the French pronunciation).

An absurdly impressive amount of effort for a two-minute parody.

momatt

Quote from: mothman on April 11, 2018, 11:46:25 PM
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!
THERE'S A NEW STAR WARS MOVIE COMING OUT IN A MONTH AND A HALF! I'M SO EXCITED!!!! *bounces happily*
No? OK.

It is a strange feeling, not being excited about a new Star Wars film.
I am looking forward to seeing it, but they're so frequent now, it's not much of an event.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 11, 2018, 09:31:44 AM

And just from the trailer, he looks to be in film stealing form.

St_Eddie

idunnosomename

Oh I forgot they did that.

Anyway, Therm Scissorpunch anyone?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Therm_Scissorpunch

My favourite part is that he's a lobster. And he's called Therm. Like lobster thermidor. Because he's a lobster.

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 14, 2018, 03:41:17 PM
My favourite part is that he's a lobster. And he's called Therm. Like lobster thermidor. Because he's a lobster.

The naming of creatures in a galaxy, far far away; as Therm Scissorpunch, Mon Calamari, Rancor and Salacious Crumb is both simultaneously horrendously hackneyed and wonderful.  The same applies to the Sith; Vader, Sidious, Maul and Plaguious.

Mister Six

Vader and Maul are great, but Sidious and Plagious are just a bit try-hard.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2018, 02:07:20 AM
...Sidious and Plagious are just a bit try-hard.

Those names do come across as a bit like a teenager, making a desperate attempt to be edgy...

"The name's 'Sidious', Mr. Crandell."

"Six of the best for you, 'Sidious', me lad.  Now, go home and nary a supper of oats for you tonight, sunshine."

"I'm a Dark Lord of t'Sith.  I don't need to do me homework.  I've got a note from t'Emperor an' all!"

idunnosomename

Nothing beats Elan Sleazebaggano (tho I do think his scene is the only genuinely funny bit in the prequels)

Sin Agog

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 14, 2018, 03:55:57 PM
The naming of creatures in a galaxy, far far away; as Therm Scissorpunch, Mon Calamari, Rancor and Salacious Crumb is both simultaneously horrendously hackneyed and wonderful.  The same applies to the Sith; Vader, Sidious, Maul and Plaguious.

Maybe a Dickens influence?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Malcy on April 25, 2018, 03:48:09 PM
New Han is signed up for 3 films...

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/solo-a-star-wars-story/57187/star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-reveals-he-s-signed-up-for-three-movies

It's standard practice in the industry for franchises. Even if they haven't considered making a sequel or reusing Ehrenreich as Han in other Star Wars Stories, they write an option into the contract, just in case. The moment they plan a sequel or something similar, the last thing they want is their actor having doubts or taking advantage of no such clause in the contract to get much more money. If there's a clause, the actor is more or less compelled to accept the new project.

So, no, such an article doesn't mean anything, except that the writer is clueless about how the entertainment industry works.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Malcy on April 25, 2018, 03:48:09 PM
New Han is signed up for 3 films...

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/solo-a-star-wars-story/57187/star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-reveals-he-s-signed-up-for-three-movies

How did they find someone who looks as unlike Harrison Ford as that? They could scarcely done a worse casting job if they'd got Danny Devito to do it.

rue the polywhirl

I for one am looking forward to Star Wars being as oversaturated as this neverending hydra of mundanerific Marvel Movies - Lando Calrissian: The Lost Years, Rogue Squadron 1.5, C3PO: Age Of Madness.

Custard

I wasn't holding out much hope for this film, but I must admit, seeing the trailer on a massive screen just before Avengers did set off some little pangs of excitement. It certainly looks good, aesthetically

Blokey just isn't Han Solo, though. So that's not good

mothman

Comfortably Nunb: A Star Wars Story.

St_Eddie

I was actually somewhat surprised and impressed by this snippet but then again, that's the point of marketing, innit.

kidsick5000

The makers must be sooo thankful that hottest act in the US just happens to be in their film.