Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:25:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2018, 06:10:10 AM

I was actually somewhat surprised and impressed by this snippet but then again, that's the point of marketing, innit.

I dunno, that left me feeling totally cold. Probably plays a lot better as part of a sequence with clear stakes and a threat and so on, but by itself it's just a few people flicking switches and not seeming terribly concerned.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on May 07, 2018, 06:27:30 PM
...it's just a few people flicking switches...

Yeah but I love movies that feature people flicking switches.  The more switches getting flicked, the better.

greenman

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 26, 2018, 06:54:08 PM
Blokey just isn't Han Solo, though. So that's not good

Again though would someone looking to ape Fords performance really be that entertaining to watch? I think just using the existing character as a vague basis for an Star wars smuggler adventure sounds like a much better direction to take.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on May 07, 2018, 09:50:26 PM
Again though would someone looking to ape Fords performance really be that entertaining to watch? I think just using the existing character as a vague basis for an Star wars smuggler adventure sounds like a much better direction to take.

Or they could have just, you know, created a new character based on the archetype of a smuggler and side-stepped the issue altogether...

It's not like them recasting Han Solo is winning people over.  Even those excited for the movie are skeptical.  It's Star Wars, it would have made bank regardless.  Disney thought that they were playing it safe by sticking with an established character but in recasting said character, they've inadvertently put themselves at risk of a fan backlash.  Fools.

Dex Sawash

Who will love this movie the most and what do they win?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2018, 06:10:10 AM

I was actually somewhat surprised and impressed by this snippet but then again, that's the point of marketing, innit.

Although that clip is shown out of context, it feels a little flat.  Not helped of course with Emilia Clarke who's not a good actor.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2018, 10:07:06 PM
Or they could have just, you know, created a new character based on the archetype of a smuggler and side-stepped the issue altogether...

It's not like them recasting Han Solo is winning people over.  Even those excited for the movie are skeptical.  It's Star Wars, it would have made bank regardless.  Disney thought that they were playing it safe by sticking with an established character but in recasting said character, they've inadvertently put themselves at risk of a fan backlash.  Fools.

I would say though that were in a rather different position to Luke in The Last Jedi(not recasting of course but characterisation being altered) because that film was acting as a direct sequel to the originals, playing on the drama present in those films and looking to pass judgement on them.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2018, 10:07:06 PM
Could of made a Dash Rendar film

surreal

Seems good old Mark Hamill has "accidentally" let slip that Anthony Daniels is in Solo too, as he's the only actor who has been in all Star Wars movies.  Quite how they will fit C-3PO into this remains to be seen.

phantom_power

Will he necessarily play C3PO?

surreal

Quote from: phantom_power on May 09, 2018, 02:05:03 PM
Will he necessarily play C3PO?

Maybe not but that would be really odd.  I think he had a background cameo in Rogue One, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a main role - depends what the setting of the film is I guess.  Struggling to remember where he ended up at the end of Ep3

St_Eddie

Quote from: surreal on May 09, 2018, 02:36:22 PM
Maybe not but that would be really odd.  I think he had a background cameo in Rogue One, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a main role - depends what the setting of the film is I guess.  Struggling to remember where he ended up at the end of Ep3

"Wipe the protocol droid's memory, so that his knowledge doesn't conflict with the original trilogy".

St_Eddie

I wonder if Han will use Woody's advice against him, when he tries to betray him at the end of the movie.  So very predictable...

idunnosomename

I could kind of believe Ewan McGregor  could turn into Sir Alec eh fuck ye yah bastards but this dude

He looks nowt like Harrison Ford

Dex Sawash

He could change into Chris Pine though

biggytitbo

I still don't understand why they couldnt have got Harrison Ford to do this but just film all his scenes in long shot so you can't tell he's nearly 80.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 10, 2018, 10:35:19 PM
I still don't understand why they couldnt have got Harrison Ford to do this but just film all his scenes in long shot so you can't tell he's nearly 80.

They'd have to film him from a different continent.

colacentral

Try to imagine anyone wanting this.

biggytitbo

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2018, 10:39:25 PM
They'd have to film him from a different continent.

They could de age him using cgi, or my preferred option get him to wear a balaclava.

Custard

Then the CGI Princess Leia could turn up, and they could do a kiss

phantom_power

I don't really care if he looks much like him as long as he gets the character and attitude right. That is unclear from what I have seen at the moment

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 10, 2018, 11:05:58 PM
Then the CGI Princess Leia could turn up, and they could do a kiss

I wonder if by indy v they'll try and do a full film with Ford de aged, the recent young Michael Douglas and Robert Downey junior bits in the marvel films were pretty good, but only a few minutes long. I'd imagine a full film would still be too expensive at this stage. It in 10 years it'll probably be commonplace, with the elderly actors just popping in for motion capture and to do the voices.

Shaky

Quote from: phantom_power on May 10, 2018, 11:06:54 PM
I don't really care if he looks much like him as long as he gets the character and attitude right. That is unclear from what I have seen at the moment

Exactly. Anything to silence the "Anthony Ingruber!" lot.

St_Eddie

Blumf

Quote from: colacentral on May 10, 2018, 10:48:59 PM

Try to imagine anyone wanting this.

I tried to imagine what the 'street' names would be, but my brain sent me into a coma.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Blumf on May 11, 2018, 01:03:26 AM
I tried to imagine what the 'street' names would be, but my brain sent me into a coma.

There's an entire wing of a hospital, full of the comatose people who were tasked with creating this version of the game.

Ferris

Quote from: Blumf on May 11, 2018, 01:03:26 AM

I had Star Wars Monopoly as a nipper, but it was pre-sequel and alright. Little coins to represent 1,000 imperial credits. Best property was Coruscant (obvs), worst property was Yoda's Hut.

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 11, 2018, 02:55:25 AM
I had Star Wars Monopoly as a nipper, but it was pre-sequel and alright. Little coins to represent 1,000 imperial credits. Best property was Coruscant (obvs), worst property was Yoda's Hut.

What was the Star Wars equivalent for houses and hotels?

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 11, 2018, 03:03:25 AM
What was the Star Wars equivalent for houses and hotels?

TIE-fighters and Star Destroyers, if memory serves

Edit: in all its glory, google reckons 1996 so I was a nerd well ahead of the prequels. Have that, Lucas https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hgiLqj6T5lY