Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had that same Monopoly set and I don't know what happened to it. I may have thrown it out or given it away when I was 'purging' childish things in my teenage years, along with my Lego and my Discworld books. What a wanker, I wish I still had those.

idunnosomename

Quote from: phantom_power on May 11, 2018, 06:54:45 AM
Real nerds played this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Customizable_Card_Game

I got a booster pack or something for tuppance in the january sales at WH Smith

I couldnt make head nor tail of it. bullshit.

surreal

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 10, 2018, 10:55:41 PM
They could de age him using cgi, or my preferred option get him to wear a balaclava.

Desolocated.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: surreal on May 11, 2018, 01:39:09 PM
First reviews looking quite positive: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44079962

You say that, but pretty much ALL of those "positive" comments veil consistent negatives - "clunky", "on the nose", lacking depth, "not the best film of the year", "kinda a blast"...

surreal

I did say "quite"... ;-)

But compared to the complete garbage fire we were pretty much expecting only 6 months or so ago it's quite hopeful.

St_Eddie

Quote from: surreal on May 11, 2018, 02:27:08 PM
But compared to the complete garbage fire we were pretty much expecting only 6 months or so ago it's quite hopeful.

On the whole, early feedback and reviews from the premieres of major blockbusters are always positive.  It means absolutely nothing.  Consider what sort of people get invited to watch the premiere of the latest Star Wars movie; shills and shameless fanboys.  All of them, swept up in the excitement of the event.

Heck, when it comes to Star Wars, even the eventual main outlet reviews are, by and large, meaningless as an indicator of quality.  Less we forget that The Last Jedi received largely glowing reviews, upon release.  Whilst many did enjoy that movie, it's fair to say that there's a huge disparity between the critic and audience scores.

Of course, that's not to say that the movie will be gubbins but rather, that one should take these reviews and opinions with a fucking mountain of salt.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 11, 2018, 02:16:03 PM
You say that, but pretty much ALL of those "positive" comments veil consistent negatives - "clunky", "on the nose", lacking depth, "not the best film of the year", "kinda a blast"...

Exactly.  In terms of the usual gushing premiere reactions, this is actually a fairly damning indicator, quite frankly.

Shit Good Nose

It almost reads like those folks are trying to convince themselves that it's brilliant.

Like you say, that doesn't automatically mean the film is shit (although, let's be honest, Ron Howard...), but...

surreal

Well it's playing at Cannes on Tuesday so I guess we'll see what the more picky audiences think.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 11, 2018, 02:56:18 PM
It almost reads like those folks are trying to convince themselves that it's brilliant.

People who spout words like these...

Quote from: Adam GoldbergYes, I live and breathe @starwars. I know with each new one, I say it's the greatest one ever. But #Solo delivers in every way. Funny, suspenseful, emotional, a truly epic origin story. If this film doesn't make your heart happy, then just give up on watching movies. #kesselrun

...are not to be listened to.  Blind, unquestioning fanboyism at its absolute worst.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: surreal on May 11, 2018, 03:15:52 PM
Well it's playing at Cannes on Tuesday so I guess we'll see what the more picky audiences think.

The only opinion I can truly trust is my own.  Far too many people still say that Rogue One is brilliant for my liking.  Those people aren't wrong for liking the movie but it really goes to show how vast the chasm of differing opinions can be because I consider that movie to be total dreck.

SteveDave

Quote from: surreal on May 11, 2018, 03:15:52 PM

I hope we get some high quality cams from there.

Glebe

It sounds like it's gonna be a three-stars affair.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SteveDave on May 13, 2018, 10:31:08 PM
Hmmm. There already is a Luke Skywalker origin story.

Yeah, but in the next one we'll get to see him as a kid and he'll be very sad.  George Lucas will fucking LOVE it.

Dr Rock

Yeah and his mean dad will say 'If you don't shape up Hanny you'll end up as some smuggler, trying to beat the Kessel Run record or somesuch.'

SteveDave

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 13, 2018, 10:34:35 PM
Yeah, but in the next one we'll get to see him as a kid and he'll be very sad.  George Lucas will fucking LOVE it.

3 2 hour long films of him shooting womp rats, drinking blue milk, furtively masturbating and sulking.

mothman

There's a womp rat in my Lego landspeeder set, I'll see if I can recreate that for you.

Blumf

Quote from: SteveDave on May 13, 2018, 10:41:38 PM
3 2 hour long films of him shooting womp rats, drinking blue milk, furtively masturbating and sulking.

In particular, the shooting of womp rats. We see him doing it regularly, watching him make the small creatures suffer without a flicker of emotion on his face. We learn the true story of how he grew up to be the person who could blow up giant space stations with 10 of thousands of personnel on-board without the slightest doubt on his conscience. We realise how this sociopathy grew until he could even strike down close family members. We note how, becoming increasingly detached from normal society, the mental demons that reside within Luke also cause him to start to hallucinate, all the while his blue milk habit grows.

Shaky

Quote from: SteveDave on May 13, 2018, 10:31:08 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/film/emilia-clarke-wants-one-game-thrones-castmates-play-young-luke-skywalker-2314024

Hmmm. There already is a Luke Skywalker origin story.

Yes, how the hell would that work anyway? Harrington is older than Hamill was in the first one. And the character literally didn't do anything with his life until A New Hope.

surreal

Quote from: surreal on May 09, 2018, 01:17:41 PM
Seems good old Mark Hamill has "accidentally" let slip that Anthony Daniels is in Solo too, as he's the only actor who has been in all Star Wars movies.  Quite how they will fit C-3PO into this remains to be seen.

Seems he is not C-3PO after all... https://uproxx.com/movies/solo-a-star-wars-story-anthony-daniels/

Odd choice, I can only suggest he was cast to keep up the record of being in everything

idunnosomename

It's interesting now that there are SO MANY star wars movies they can't keep up the idea of keeping up the tradition of always having R2-D2 and C-3PO in it as it would start to become absurd that they were a part of every event everywhere. So they're changing to a John Ratzenberger Pixar type good-luck charm.

I was going to say but he might die soon but he's only 72, and Ratzenberger is 71!!!

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 14, 2018, 03:39:21 PM
It's interesting now that there are SO MANY star wars movies they can't keep up the idea of keeping up the tradition of always having R2-D2 and C-3PO in it as it would start to become absurd that they were a part of every event everywhere. So they're changing to a John Ratzenberger Pixar type good-luck charm.

"Interesting" is certainly one word for it.

bgmnts

I'm still not interested in this film.

mothman

I think it'd be interesting to see how what must have been a fairly convivial relationship between Kenobi and Owen Lars would break down so totally. Hell, he brought you the child you couldn't have yourself, show some gratitude! But given it's obviously Luke barely knows Kenobi at all, having the two of them go off on an adventure together would be a massive mistake.

Dr Rock

I suppose they know he's hanging round waiting for Luke to become legal so he can take him away to probably die. Although he doesn't and they do.

Custard

I dunno, there's at least a 2.5 hour summer film to be made about Luke's days building sandcastles and discovering masturbation