Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Very cool. I, personally, always LOVE those videos. Mmm-hmm.

NEW PAGE- RICH EVANS IS PIECE OF SHIT

Blumf

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 17, 2018, 12:52:47 AM
As ridiculous and nonsensical as that would be, I wouldn't mind having the Emperor back, if it meant getting to see some more of Ian McDiarmid, gloriously hamming it up on screen.  These new Star Wars movies are all shite, so they might as well be entertainingly shite.

True. If they want to do another pre-OT/post-prequels film, they could get some mileage out of him. Maybe some kind of reverse heist thing where we see it all from the Empire's side and are meant to root for them.

Bhazor

Speaking of Nerd Crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4LOs8cQsk&t=100s

Pretty cool.

idunnosomename

Just fyi Rich Evans plugging the Denny's is a direct reference to this May Fourth video from Collider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWYSYbzuL2w

Worth watching for the first three minutes because it's shameless

From being on the internet for the last 20 years, I've managed to gather Denny's is basically like Harvester or Hungry Horse level absolute trough.

buzby

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 17, 2018, 12:52:01 PM
From being on the internet for the last 20 years, I've managed to gather Denny's is basically like Harvester or Hungry Horse level absolute trough.
More like Little Chef or Happy Eater - they tend to be roadside locations like highway service areas and freeway exits, and open 24/7. They usually don't sell alcoholic drinks either. They have a franchise in the UK now, in Swansea of all places.

St_Eddie

Just fyi Rich Evans plugging the Denny's is a direct reference to this May Fourth video from Collider:

Worth watching for the first three minutes because it's shameless

Come friendly bombs and fall on Denny's!
It's now full of overgrown man-babies,
There isn't intelligence enough to outclass a cow.
Swarm over, Death Star!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air-conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned nerds.

Bhazor

Jesus fucking christ.

Fucking scissor punch is real? Fucking christ.

Chairman Yang

Man, and I thought the Nerd Crew stuff was a little on the nose.

Fucking Lego Batman... Jesus.

thraxx

Quote from: mothman on May 16, 2018, 09:15:51 PM
The Guardian's review overall come out pretty good. Unless they're just trying to be determinedly contrarian, again.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/15/solo-a-star-wars-story-review-han-solo-origins-film-is-boistrous-bromance

I read that review too. The test reads like it's a 5 star stonker of a film and then it gets 3 stars out of 5. Bollocks mate.

mothman

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 16, 2018, 09:32:09 PM
Which makes me curious as to their review of the piece of shit Last Jedi:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/dec/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review-episode-viii-rian-johnson

Four stars out of five. Euphoric tidal wave of energy and emotion. Piss off.

I'm not sure I rate Bradshaw as a critic anyway. Or really pay attention to any reviews, because, hey, it's all subjective however much they want to pretend to be objective. So I didn't post the first link to try to defend the film, just to show that there are differing voices.

St_Eddie

Han Solo?  More like Ham Solo.

Avril Lavigne

Alden Ehrenreich looks a lot like Dick Valentine.

QDRPHNC

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 18, 2018, 10:12:13 PM
I like Dennys.

DISCLAIMER: This post was sponsored by Denny's.  Excellence in food since 1953.

samadriel

Well, this is a very conservative Star Wars film, familiar throughout. I preferred something a bit different, like The Last Jedi, but that was overwhelmingly hated here, so maybe Solo will be more to your liking. I enjoyed it enough, but it's not one for the time capsule.

idunnosomename

Is there an AT-AT in it they were  my favourite.

samadriel

There's briefly a shot of an AT-AT looking thing in a war zone.

idunnosomename

Holding out for AT-AT: A Star Wars Story then

Dex Sawash

Looked to see if seats are available for 1st show.
The grey ones are available.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I saw it this afternoon in a mostly empty theater in Paris.

Dyl Spinks

I saw it tonight and it was bloody amazing.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 24, 2018, 10:06:07 PM
Looked to see if seats are available for 1st show.
The grey ones are available.

Were the Wu Tang Clan all present for this showing?

Funcrusher

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 24, 2018, 10:24:39 PM
I saw it this afternoon in a mostly empty theater in Paris.

No wonder, you should have gone to see it in a cinema.

St_Eddie

Heads up; a CAM of this is already available online (presented in glorious PotatoVision).  I've downloaded a copy and will watch it momentarily.  Thoughts to follow...

St_Eddie

I've finished watching the movie and overall it was better than I had expected.  It certainly went some way towards washing the bad taste of Rogue One and The Last Jedi from my mouth.  Having said that, it's still very much a Disney-era Star Wars movie.

Solo is overly long, inconsequential and features a plot with incredibly low stakes (the MacGuffin is dull, dull, dull).  The review which said that it feels like an extended pilot for a TV series was bang on the money.  It's very unsatisfying in how it doesn't feel like a self-contained movie; it leaves a few key plot threads dangling as a means to setting up a sequel.

I very much liked the main antagonist, played by Paul Bettany.  I'm ambivalent in regards to the droid character, L3.  Donald Glover was decent but is given little to do.  Alden Ehrenreich was alright but he sure as shit ain't no Harrison Ford and aside from one particularly ballsy (and Special Edition shunting) moment towards the end, the character felt neutered.

The soundtrack is excellent, just as it was when I first heard it in the original trilogy (there's a lot of reuse of John Williams' score in this).  The Darth Maul cameo makes absolutely no sense in the context of the story and I don't know why it's there, other than shameless fan service.  There's a ridiculously on the nose Western scene and some of the dialogue was eye-rollingly self-referential to lines from the original (and better) movies...

"Move along, move along."

"Flyboy."

"They don't even serve our kind here."

"I hate you."  "I know."

There's also a recreation of the "my hands are dirty" scene from The Empire Strikes Back, complete with the kiss being interrupted by C3PO/Beckett.

6/10

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2018, 05:51:53 PM

I wonder if Han will use Woody's advice against him, when he tries to betray him at the end of the movie.  So very predictable...

Oh well look at that, I correctly predicted that not only would Beckett betray Han but that Han would use Beckett's advice against him.  Like I said; so very predictable.

SteveDave

Quote from: Glebe on May 25, 2018, 04:08:20 AM
'Star Wars': Boba Fett Movie in the Works With James Mangold (Exclusive).

Good fit for director, I reckon.

Should be directed by Taika Waititi with the boy from the Wilderpeople as a teenage Boba in a coming of age slapstick comedy. Like Superbad but in space.

idunnosomename

Disney aren't stupid - surely they knew by putting out a  Star Wars film every year interest would fall - but did they realise it would fall this much this quickly?

SteveDave

You think they'd have Greedo in it as a member of the gang or sutin. Doesn't he act like he's known him for years in Star Wars 1?