Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: SteveDave on May 25, 2018, 02:17:40 PM
You think they'd have Greedo in it as a member of the gang or sutin. Doesn't he act like he's known him for years in Star Wars 1?

:(

Malcy

Waiting for a better copy than the available Cam source to watch this. Mainly just for one scene but i think Disney are going to kill Star Wars by trying to make it like the current shitfest of constant superhero pish that's churned out constantly.

Dyl Spinks

Quote from: SteveDave on May 25, 2018, 02:17:40 PM
You think they'd have Greedo in it as a member of the gang or sutin. Doesn't he act like he's known him for years in Star Wars 1?

I think they've left that stuff open for a subsequent film: a Tattoine/Jabba the Hutt/Han Solo/Boba Fett type film leading up to the events of the original and Solo's being in that Mos Eisley Cantina at that particular time when Obi Wan and Luke walk in.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It would be another Star Wars Story involving Han in a supporting part, rather than a Solo sequel.

One thing Solo gets right is that it would be stupid and revisionist to suggest that Han Solo has a deep and fascinating origin story when we meet him on Tattooine. The whole point of his narrative arc in the original trilogy is that he starts as a charming rogue, who dabbles in small time trafficking, but who becomes heroic and finds his true calling when he embraces a higher cause and finds love. Suggesting some hidden depths due to a tragic backstory would be nonsense.
Unfortunately, it also leaves little for a riveting narrative and that also makes the whole film rather inessential. At best, Solo conveys a few thrills borrowed from a lot of other genres (car chases, train robbery, Great War deserters, bank heist, western, the requisite David Mamet heist twist), but it achieves very little beyond that.

bgmnts

I wanted ONE thing in this film. One thing.

I dont care how shit it probably is, what the plot is, what questions they answer, I dont give a shit that a crap rapper plays Lando. I dont care.

I just. Wanted. Greedo.

It's ALL I asked.

Fuck Star Wars.

idunnosomename

He's in the Phantom Menace, watch that

That implies he lives on Tatooine so he'll be in the next one

Dr Rock

KK's Lucasfilm are confusing me. With their last 'proper' SW movie The Last Jedi, I thought the reason they were pissing on Luke was part of the movie's (and Lucasfilm's) message to let go of the past grandad, these are new movies with new characters for a new generation. But also here's a film all about Han Solo when he was slightly younger! Which follows a film that leads directly into Star Wars 1! And next is a Boba Fett movie! 

Perhaps if they'd introduced any good new characters in their revived franchise they could've spun one into a solo movie, but they didn't, so they can't. But don't tell everyone to forget what came before, then make movies that are all about that.

I don't think I can be bothered to watch this for free.

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 25, 2018, 04:49:20 PM
He's in the Phantom Menace, watch that

That implies he lives on Tatooine so he'll be in the next one

Is that him or just someone of the same species?

mothman

I think it was meant to be him. Which explains why he's not in this, otherwise he ends up as Randall P. Boggs in Monsters University.

idunnosomename

There's a cut scene where he gets in a scrap with Annie and there's the dialogue "keep this up Greedo, and you're going to come to a bad end".

So Lucas certainly intended that rodian to be him.

Sin Agog

Kinda lame they ditched Serafinowicz.  Understandable, as he trashed the prequels more than almost anyone in existence, but lame nevertheless.

mobias

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 18, 2018, 09:36:08 PM

Han Solo?  More like Ham Solo.

I had no real desire to see this movie but now that I see Moira Stewart is in it I'm oddly tempted.....

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 25, 2018, 09:08:25 PM
There's a cut scene where he gets in a scrap with Annie and there's the dialogue "keep this up Greedo, and you're going to come to a bad end".

So Lucas certainly intended that rodian to be him.

Oh dear

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 25, 2018, 09:37:40 PM
Kinda lame they ditched Serafinowicz.  Understandable, as he trashed the prequels more than almost anyone in existence, but lame nevertheless.
I wonder if they tried to get him back for the cartoons? If they're going to have the character in the films more, it makes more sense he's consistent with those, rather than the Phantom Menace where he said three things.

I notice a lot of people are really fucking confused by it and think it's set before Episode 1. I mean, it is a load of wank retconning his death. Lucas underwrote a cool-looking character, deal with it.

Dr Rock

He didn't look cool, he looked stupid.

Dr Rock

Opening weekend reports looks like it's going to be a relative flop and the lowest grossing Disney-Lucasfilm SW movie.

QuoteAs of May 24, 2018, Solo: A Star Wars Story has grossed $14.1 million in the United States and Canada, and $11.4 million in other territories, for a total worldwide gross of $25.5 million

With an estimated production budget of $250 million, the film will need to gross at least $500 million worldwide in order to break-even

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 26, 2018, 08:57:56 AM
Oh come on we all got excited about that double lightsabre nearly two decades ago. Well, if you were under 15.

mobias

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 26, 2018, 08:57:56 AM

This is what I always thought. In fact I'll go one step further and say I've always thought Darth Maul to be one of the naff-est Star Wars character designs out there. Its like a ten year old won a competition to design a Star Wars baddy. Nothing spells out 'bad guy' more than making a character red and giving him lots of horns.

Dr Rock

Quote from: mobias on May 26, 2018, 12:18:36 PMIts like a ten year old won a competition to design a Star Wars baddy.

Exactly.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Star Wars being typically famous for its subtle, 'shades of grey' character design.

Replies From View

Quote from: mobias on May 26, 2018, 12:18:36 PM
This is what I always thought. In fact I'll go one step further and say I've always thought Darth Maul to be one of the naff-est Star Wars character designs out there. Its like a ten year old won a competition to design a Star Wars baddy. Nothing spells out 'bad guy' more than making a character red and giving him lots of horns.

He always looked to me like he was designed to make an easy colouring book page.  An inflated condom with thorns.

monolith

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 26, 2018, 09:38:50 AM
Opening weekend reports looks like it's going to be a relative flop and the lowest grossing Disney-Lucasfilm SW movie.
Relative flop?

Edit: Oops, thought that was for the full weekend but canny observers would have noted that today is Saturday and therefore the weekend has not finished.

idunnosomename

Quote from: mobias on May 26, 2018, 12:18:36 PM
Its like a ten year old won a competition to design a Star Wars baddy.

General Grievous is more what I would have designed when I was 10 (and he is stupider)

bgmnts

Sorry lads Darth Maul and General Grievous are actually quite cool.

Dr Rock

Quote from: monolith on May 26, 2018, 12:57:27 PM
Relative flop?

Edit: Oops, thought that was for the full weekend but canny observers would have noted that today is Saturday and therefore the weekend has not finished.

That's why I said 'looks like.' And 'relative flop' as in it will probably be one of the highest grossing films of the year but the worst performing SW movie. Not counting the Ewok ones.

monolith

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 26, 2018, 01:26:17 PM
That's why I said 'looks like.' And 'relative flop' as in it will probably be one of the highest grossing films of the year but the worst performing SW movie. Not counting the Ewok ones.
Yep, I was just being a dense cunt, not for the first time and almost certainly not for the last time.

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on May 26, 2018, 01:23:14 PM
Sorry lads Darth Maul and General Grievous are actually quite cool.

Yeah the poundshop sink plungers of them might work well the first couple of times.

Don't write them off just because they are shit characters.

Bhazor

According to Breitbart Solo is a flop because of WOMENS!!!

QuoteKathleen Kennedy is the 65-year-old producer in charge of the Star Wars franchise. She is also a committed left-wing social justice warrior and feminist who is using the Star Wars franchise to push her obnoxious agenda.

Kennedy undoubtedly believed that with such a beloved and iconic property, she was bulletproof; that she could be as strident and obnoxious as she pleased, and we dumbass Americans would still slavishly get the line because spaceships and laser-guns are cool 'n stuff.

She was wrong, and The Last Jedi was the beginning of the end. It under-preformed big-time at the box office and its overbearing political moments were not only eye-rollingly awful, they damaged the overall story while tainting the entire franchise. Kennedy has placed her dumb agenda over the storytelling, and the result was especially awful in Last Jedi, like that two-hour chase that went nowhere. Worse still, was Kennedy's decision to dumb down Oscar Issac's Poe Dameron into a sexist caveman when he is, by far, the most charismatic new character in the new trilogy.

Solo also has its SJW moments. Who doesn't love watching a five-foot girl who weighs in at about 85 pounds kicking the ass of a grown man? Then there is the feminist droid always harping about equal rights (thankfully, she is killed off quickly). Finally, we are hit with the news that the iconic Lando Calrissian is a "pansexual," and there are a couple moments in Solo where you are given the impression that includes sex with feminist droids.

Kathleen Kennedy is killing the Star Wars franchise because she is so drastically changing it ( remember what I said above about Americans not liking change?). What used to be escapist and mythical, what was once wondrous and ennobling of the human spirit, is now pedantic, preachy, and small-minded.

Kennedy is not appealing to our sense of adventure and shared aspirations, she is hectoring and scolding us. She is not appealing to our shared humanity, she is dividing us up into tribal camps based on race gender, color, and where we like to put our sex organs.

Kathleen Kennedy is such a bad storyteller, so heavy-handed, so selfish, so narcissistic, so wrong, so divisive, so out of touch, that a Star Wars movie — a Star Wars movie, y'all –– will probably lose money.

Decades of goodwill have been squandered, the golden goose has been made constipated, and all because of the one thing true constant in America, that thing that will never change: liberals eventually ruin everything.

Go Woke, Go Broke as the saying goes at Instapundit. ESPN, the NFL, higher education, California, Illinois, Western Europe, CNN, Newsweek, Time, the Oscars, Emmys, and Golden Globes; and now our beloved Star Wars.

bgmnts

I like the idea that a little woman managing to beat a grown man is 'SJW'. Because the idea of someone smaller beating up someone bigger isnt one of the oldest tropes in fiction.

Custard

Been trying to build up enough interest to go see this, and so far I just can't. It has none of the intrigue or pull that Rogue One had, and the mixed reviews hardly add confidence. And it's been too hot, and other excuses I can't think of at present

But yeah, maybe some bare tits might save our Star Wars