Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 04, 2018, 09:05:58 PMThe Last Jedi is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen.

Me too, and I have pretty low standards. I don't care what canon or lore or whatever you throw out of the window (or off a cliff), but the basic storytelling in TLJ was just terrible, and the humour in it was so weird and out of place. I've never walked out of a film in the cinema before, so that was a first. It wasn't even in a strop, I just felt weirdly halfway between passing out with boredom and having some sort of panic attack. Never had a film affect me like that before.

I like Emilia C in Game Of Thrones, her style of acting suits the character, but she's utterly out of place in everything else. It didn't feel like anyone could act in Solo, apart from Woody Harrelson. Maybe they were just overawed by the whole thing, or stressed out by the behind the scenes stuff, dunno. Even Donald Glover had a bit of fear behind the eyes, I thought.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 05, 2018, 06:31:40 PM
I've never seen her in anything but knowing she's one of the main people in Game of Thrones I thought that would mean she could act her way out of a proverbial paper bag.

You'd be wrong.  She's a notoriously terrible actress.

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on June 06, 2018, 07:42:41 AM
Me too, and I have pretty low standards. I don't care what canon or lore or whatever you throw out of the window (or off a cliff), but the basic storytelling in TLJ was just terrible, and the humour in it was so weird and out of place...

Yip.

Custard

I like Emilia Clarke, but she makes some seriously obvious and lazy choices in the roles she accepts. Star Wars, Terminator Penisys, anything that geek boys will remember her for in 30 years time at conventions, where she can charge 25 squid for a signed picture

Thinking about it, she's a genius. Or geniusys

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 06, 2018, 09:39:25 AM
...anything that geek boys will remember her for in 30 years time at conventions, where she can charge 25 squid for a signed picture

Predicting Emilia Clarke's future to a spookily accurate degree, there.

Shit Good Nose

Yeah yeah, can't wait for the inevitable Jabba appearance.

.....what?  .......what's that you say?  .......no Jabba?  ......Darth......what, Vader?.........Darth.......Maul instead................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure that point has already been made in this thread, but Jesus fucking christ.

Having said that, I enjoyed it a fuck of a lot more than Last Jedi.  It's completely empty and pointless, but it's light enough and entertaining enough to just about get by as a light hearted sci-fi action film.  Will never see it again, though.

Small Man Big Horse

Just back from seeing it and I thought it was pretty shit. Nearly all the scenes were murky and badly lit, and I couldn't understand how they'd managed to make such a drab looking film until I got home and discovered it was due to the projectionist fucking up, something which has plagued a lot of screenings apparently - http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/solo-star-a-wars-story-theatre-projection-problems-bradford-young-1201969989/. That definitely affected my enjoyment of the film but even without such an issue the script was lacklustre and I found myself struggling to care about any of the characters. Donald Glover was great but massively underused, and bar that I've little positive to say about the film. A generous 5/10.

Saw this today and it's just very mediocre. Not enough Donald Glover, the train heist scene was really uninvolving, the film looks like murky shit, there isn't a single memorable image in the entire film, the colour scheme is unbelievably drab, the lead guy was flat, Emilia Clarke simply can't act, most of the quips were weak, and some scenes just felt like the film was on autopilot and banging through cliches. Still a much better film than Dunkirk though

Shit Good Nose

The Last Jedi was shite, but still 10 times better than Dunkirk

Mister Six

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on June 06, 2018, 07:42:41 AM
I've never walked out of a film in the cinema before, so that was a first. It wasn't even in a strop, I just felt weirdly halfway between passing out with boredom and having some sort of panic attack. Never had a film affect me like that before.

It's one of the most bafflingly poorly paced films I've ever seen from a mainstream studio, alternating as it does between some people looking constipated on a ship, some people looking constipated on an island, and Finn and Rose just plodding about looking at things.

Shit Good Nose

Without wanting to derail the thread...

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 12, 2018, 12:18:29 AM
The Last Jedi was shite, but still 10 times better than Dunkirk

Why? 

Genuine question - I haven't seen Dunkirk.  But from bits I have seen I can't believe that Last Jedi is 1 time better, let alone 10.

Dunkirk is an empty, pretentious and soulless exercise in technical proficiency, The Last Jedi is at the very least a romp

Shit Good Nose

Fair doos.

I mean, in my opinion that technical proficiency and practical effects alone is worth a hundred Last Jedis.  But we're all different.  We'd all be the same if we weren't.

Well, that's what I think having actually seen them both in their totality. Technical proficiency is totally valueless without any interesting ideas underpinning the work. The Last Jedi is bad, Dunkirk is dishonest, which is much worse

Dishonest because it resorts to pseudo-intellectual gimmickry in an attempt to cover up the fact that it has nothing new or interesting to say

checkoutgirl

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 04, 2018, 09:05:58 PM
I'm not saying that it's objectively one of the worst movies that I've ever seen, from a technical standpoint but rather that, subjectively, it's one of the worst movies that I've ever seen, in terms of how inept, incompetent, needlessly subversive and hackneyed I found the script to be.

So it's basically not one of the worst films you've ever seen at all, you were just exaggerating for effect because that's how people express themselves on the internet.

Gotcha.

If you are a voracious consumer of feature films then I'd be surprised if it's even in the worst 200 films you've ever seen. These latest Star Wars films could readily be described as mediocre, disappointing or wasteful or whatever, but they're not the worst anything, anywhere for anyone. Not really, when you think about it properly for a second and cease acting like a little baby.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2018, 10:59:21 PM
but they're not the worst anything, anywhere for anyone.

I'm sorry, but that's absolute bullshit.  The Last Jedi is one of the top (bottom) 10 worst films I saw last year, including stuff at home (Netflix, TV, DVD etc), and I average about 10-15 films a week.  I'm sure there's at least one person out there - perhaps a Star Wars megafan, perhaps not - who thinks that The Last Jedi is THE worst film ever made.

Dr Rock

I'm a Star Wars fan, but not to the extent that I am or was fanatical about Marvel comics, to put things in perspective. I think that it becomes a badder film the more you believe a Star Wars film ought to be excellent, an imaginative new instalment in a story from a galaxy far in the future, where a bunch of criminal apes are on the run from tyranny in a fucking mental looking spaceship that has tits. I might have got some things I liked muddled up with other things I liked there, which means my opinion here is the best. And that opinion is that The Last Jedi was one of the worst movies in the history of cinema; if not mankind's most wonderful gift, that of storyellling itself. And I will deck anyone who says different.

St_Eddie

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 12, 2018, 10:59:21 PM
So it's basically not one of the worst films you've ever seen at all, you were just exaggerating for effect because that's how people express themselves on the internet.

Gotcha.

If you are a voracious consumer of feature films then I'd be surprised if it's even in the worst 200 films you've ever seen. These latest Star Wars films could readily be described as mediocre, disappointing or wasteful or whatever, but they're not the worst anything, anywhere for anyone. Not really, when you think about it properly for a second and cease acting like a little baby.

I thought that I was done with posting in these Star Wars threads but seeming as you've resorted to insulting me, by telling me that I'm "acting like a little baby", I feel compelled to respond.

For the record, the worst movies that I have ever seen are (in order of worst to least worst)...

* Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem
* Epic Movie
* Exorcist II: The Heretic
* The Last Jedi
* Armageddon

Now, that's just my own personal list.  It is by no means a list which I would expect, nor ask, anybody else to agree with.  I consider those movies to be the worst that I have ever seen for different and varying reasons (in fact, I don't dislike any two for the same reason).  I have no doubts that there are those who personally enjoy the movies which I've listed.  That is absolutely fine and I would be pleased to hear their thoughts on why they like those movies, should they care to give them.

It is not your place to tell me that I'm wrong for considering those movies to be the worst that I've ever seen.  I know how my mind works, what I think and the reasons that I think those thoughts.  I know what my own subjective opinions on movies are.  These are my own opinions of an art form, just as your own opinions of an art form are yours.

colacentral

Have you not seen Zaat then?

Though I grant that AvP 2 might actually be worse.

SteveDave

Armageddon!? You...why...wha...I'm going for a lie down.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 13, 2018, 01:21:53 AM
* Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem
* Epic Movie
* Exorcist II: The Heretic
* The Last Jedi
* Armageddon

That surely is a nice list of films to take out for a cream tea on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Meet the Spartans is worse than all these films. Augusts Underground Mordem is worse than all these films. There are a thousand films worse than that list. Bride Wars is worse. Sex and the City 2 is worse. Every year at least 20 films come out that are worse than everything on that list.

Exorcist II? What's wrong with that? 

I'll let you have Armageddon though, that's fucking abysmal. But even at that, Jerry Bruckheimer has probably produced 15 films that are at least as bad as Armageddon. To be honest I think the very nature of the film business means it's next to redundant saying any film is the worst anything, such is the deluge of garbage issued forth by this business.

And finally, you're list includes no Adam Sandler films at all, not even Jack and Jill. And it doesn't even include the worst Star Wars films (Phantom and Clones) so is completely redundant as far as I can see. You can say it's your opinion, sure, but when your opinion is so terrible then I will not shut up. Ask me to shut up. Go on. I won't do it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 13, 2018, 01:16:23 PM
Ask me to shut up. Go on. I won't do it.

Nah, carry on, by all means.

Dr Rock

Sex and the City 2 is worse.

It is worse in many ways, but you can watch it revelling in how fucking awful it is and also it is not shitting on a franchise you care about.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 13, 2018, 01:25:29 PM
It is worse in many ways,

Thanks, I'll stop now. I think all we're really looking for is a bit of validation.

Shit Good Nose

Exorcist II? What's wrong with that? 

You have seen Exorcist 2?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 13, 2018, 02:51:19 PM
You have seen Exorcist 2?

Yeah. Watched it a couple of years ago. FSOL sampled it on their ISDN album.

"Come, fly the teeth of the wind....share my wings"

That line alone lifts it out of the worlds worst films. It's not even the worst Richard Burton film. Boom! is a much better candidate for that accolade.

Shit Good Nose

Boom! worse than Exorcist 2!?!??!?!

You're clearly insane.

Appreciate that all this is subjective, but fucking hell.....

Also, Jack and Jill at least has that moment when Jill tells Jack she's moving in and he totals the car.  That one brief smile is worth a hundred Last Jedis if you ask me.

bgmnts

Armageddon??????????????????

Fuck sake man.