Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

ARMAGEDDON OUTTA THIS THREAD!

(I've never seen Armageddon)

idunnosomename

I fucking hated Deep Impact. One of the worst films I've ever seen.

Armageddon was pretty stupid but it was quite enjoyable. I did remember giggling when he's saying goodbye at the end for some reason because it was so ridiculous.

Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obel

Anybody who doesn't love Armageddon must have space dementia

SteveDave

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 13, 2018, 05:22:24 PM

Armageddon was pretty stupid but it was quite enjoyable. I did remember giggling when he's saying goodbye at the end for some reason because it was so ridiculous.

"Take care of Gracie for me"
"HAAAARRRRRY! I LOVE YOU!"
"You're the man AJ"

Jesus I'm almost weeping just thinking about it.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2018, 01:58:47 PM
Yeah yeah, can't wait for the inevitable Jabba appearance.

.....what?  .......what's that you say?  .......no Jabba?  ......Darth......what, Vader?.........Darth.......Maul instead................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure that point has already been made in this thread, but Jesus fucking christ.

Having said that, I enjoyed it a fuck of a lot more than Last Jedi.  It's completely empty and pointless, but it's light enough and entertaining enough to just about get by as a light hearted sci-fi action film.  Will never see it again, though.

The main positive for it for me personally would be that visually it was pretty nice to look at, at least in terms of designs that followed Rogue One in actually recalling the originals lived in style. Camera work/editing was nearly as good as that film though, perhaps a product of the rumoured lack of coverage with the original directors?

Besides that as you say pretty pointless but entertaining enough and with little that was offensively bad. Casting wise don't think anyone really flopped (Clarke seemed rather prequelish early on but improved somewhat I'd say) yet nobody really stood out that much either, ironically Bettany's late replacement role perhaps ended up being the most interesting one. Much moreso than Rogue One to me this felt like a film that had been rewritten, reshot and reddited to an inch of its life to the degree everything became so insanely unfocused and linear.

They really were taking the piss in terms of the stakes as well, not even Darth Maul in the end was it but a hint at him for the next film.

Having watched it I do still think The Last Jedi's reception is a big factor in it flopping, to me it seems like the kind of film that probably would have gotten a passable reception in a franchise with mostly positive hype around it ala Marvels lesser efforts but isn't anywhere near good enough to counter seriously negative feeling.

mobias

Quote from: Glebe on June 20, 2018, 09:12:57 PM
Exclusive: Future 'A Star Wars Story' Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm.

Must try harder, lads.

I bet they'll just do them as a TV series now and sell them to Netflix. Probably better suited to the TV anyway.

Custard

They'll pump out at least one more spin-off film, as they need a boxset called "Star Wars Spin-offs Trilogy"

mothman

Nah. They'll chuck the Christmas special on.

momatt

Quote from: momatt on March 26, 2018, 11:59:49 AM
I reckon it'll be good.
Han Solo jumping about the place with all his pals in a big cool spaceship.  Shoots some stuff, Chewie goes 'grrrroooooaarrrgh!', bad guys fall over, a few explosions...
KA-BLAMMO!

Just saw this.  I was right, it was great fun!  Nothing too complicated, but some great action scenes.  Chewbacca was great and got to show off his strength a bit more than we're used to.
I particularly liked them flying around in the big space cloud, that was something new.

Darth Maul was a bit odd though.  It's a shame I spoiled that bit for myself, would have been a cool surprise, either way.

olliebean

TBH if they'd cast Harrison Ford as Han in this and we all just had to suspend our disbelief about how old he is, I reckon I'd have been fine with it.

Glebe

Couple of deleted scenes:

Han Solo: Imperial Cadet.

Surely the first use of 'arse' in the Star Wars canon.

Snowball Fight.

That's rather sweet. Maybe they should've left it in.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on September 14, 2018, 08:44:22 PM
Couple of deleted scenes:

Han Solo: Imperial Cadet.

Surely the first use of 'arse' in the Star Wars canon.

Snowball Fight.

That's rather sweet. Maybe they should've left it in.

Both of those are nice, and they do make me want to check out the film again.
TBH I want to anyway because the set and costume design is bloody marvellous.
But then there are a lot of nice scenes, it just doesn't stitch together.

And I'll just add, from out of nowhere, when it comes to replacements, I can still watch this kid be semi Solo than I can thingy Lazenby as James Bond.

Malcy

Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Thought the droid (L3?) was a pain in the arse though. Noticed a few of the references to things that had been mentioned in earlier films but I probably missed a few as well.

I'd watch this again before subjecting myself to the Last Jedi again.

momatt

Quote from: Malcy on September 16, 2018, 07:51:54 PM
Thought the droid (L3?) was a pain in the arse though.
This was a shame, I was expecting to like the robot, as I really like Fleabag and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.  She came across as very funny and affable in the promotional interviews too.

Quote from: phantom_power on June 03, 2018, 07:31:39 PM
My behind the scenes contact confirmed that it is true that he needed acting coach. Not because he was a bad actor as such, just that he couldn't quite get the tone right for the character
True, getting an acting coach doesn't mean he can't act.
Just like getting music lessons doesn't mean you can't play.
Everyone has scope for improvement.

Quote from: Obel on June 13, 2018, 05:47:54 PM
Anybody who doesn't love Armageddon must have space dementia
I hate Armageddon!
An undercover chick-flick.  Not that that's a bad thing in itself, but it is one of my most hated films I've ever seen.

greenman

Quote from: Malcy on September 16, 2018, 07:51:54 PM
Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Thought the droid (L3?) was a pain in the arse though. Noticed a few of the references to things that had been mentioned in earlier films but I probably missed a few as well.

I'd watch this again before subjecting myself to the Last Jedi again.

I felt it was mostly just pleasant enough Starwarishness without really amounting to much.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on September 12, 2018, 05:54:32 PM
TBH if they'd cast Harrison Ford as Han in this and we all just had to suspend our disbelief about how old he is, I reckon I'd have been fine with it.

I actually saw a photo of the new Han Solo and took an early shit because of how unrealistically young he is.

Butchers Blind

Found the film a bit on the dull side and lacking in focus.  His girlfriend and the Darth Maul bit seemed a little stuck on.

Malcy

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 17, 2018, 05:16:56 PM
Found the film a bit on the dull side and lacking in focus.  His girlfriend and the Darth Maul bit seemed a little stuck on.

Apparently there was a list of potential characters for that scene who were considered for a while before Ron Howard lobbied hard for it to be Darth Maul.

Any idea of this list? Beyond Jabba the Hutt.

Malcy

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 17, 2018, 05:47:53 PM

I can't remember where I read it but it didn't elaborate on who.

kidsick5000

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 17, 2018, 05:47:53 PM

Darth Vader. Which can make sense, the Empire's no1 henchman is sent out to out-gangster the gangsters and make sure that even if they don't know it, most cartels are doing the Emperor's bidding

SteveDave

I finally saw this last night after falling asleep within the first 20 minutes when I had a cam of it.

It's good from when Lando turns up. Before that it just felt like "Here are some things that are happening to people you don't care about".

They could've done a proper rug pull with Chewbacca though. When Han asks him his name and he replies, Han could've said "Chew-wacca-wacca? Nah...I'll call you Chewie" Then later in the film, "Chewie" gets killed during the riot on the petrol planet and when Han takes his body back to Kashykk, we find out that it was Chew-something-or-other and Chewbacca is his son. They could've got the whole family together like in the Holiday Special.

mothman

Decided I don't like the Cadet Solo scene. I like the idea of it, and think that done properly it should have been left in as it would be proper character development rather than just assuming, hey, we all know what Han Solo is like, he's a maverick who doesn't play by the rules. But that's not good enough. We need to know WHY he's a maverick who doesn't play by the rules. Many who grow up in that sort of environment become solid citizens who crave order and rules: why not him? Anybody who didn't know better could assume that the Empire just ignored his natural flying talent and stuck him in the mud as a grunt, which is SO UNFAIR and that's why the Empire is EVIL. Whereas really it's because he's a reckless asshole.

Plus, yes, we've lost an opportunity for the term "smartarse" to enter the SW canon.

popcorn

In Solo, the main droid character is a feminist SJW robot who won't shut up about liberating droids, making everyone roll their eyes. At the end she dies but they put her map data in the Millennium Falcon, shutting her up for good.

What does this mean?

SteveDave

Quote from: popcorn on November 30, 2018, 07:11:53 AM
In Solo, the main droid character is a feminist SJW robot who won't shut up about liberating droids, making everyone roll their eyes. At the end she dies but they put her map data in the Millennium Falcon, shutting her up for good.

What does this mean?

Posh people should shut up and help the poor.

Gulftastic

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 13, 2018, 05:22:24 PM

Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Armegeddon is a big ball of nonsense, and the cast seem to know and play it accordingly. It's possibly the most anti-intellectual film ever made. Scientists (even pretty much the 'smartest man on the planet')can't save us. You need a good old blue collar guy!

Keebleman

Quote from: Glebe on April 04, 2019, 11:39:17 PM
Peter Serafinowicz Tells the Story of How He Was Cut Out as Darth Maul in Solo.

Cripes.

Reminds me of how Kubrick replaced Alex North's score for 2001 without telling him, and the poor sap attended the premiere with his wife and kids and, presumably, had to pretend he'd written The Blue Danube to save face.  "I'm sure I've heard that tune before, Dad."

Chriddof

This has nothing to do with anything, but I thought Serafinowcz was about to launch into an impression of Terry Wogan when he started answering that bloke's question. His voice kept going slightly Wogan-ish occasionally after that as well.