Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Young Han Solo

Started by Bad Ambassador, June 21, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Chriddof on April 06, 2019, 03:01:13 AMThis has nothing to do with anything, but I thought Serafinowcz was about to launch into an impression of Terry Wogan when he started answering that bloke's question. His voice kept going slightly Wogan-ish occasionally after that as well.

Haha, yeah, I didn't think he was going to launch into his Wogan but I could here a bit of  Terry's warm, brown brogue going on too!

Any excuse.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Glebe on April 04, 2019, 11:39:17 PM
Peter Serafinowicz Tells the Story of How He Was Cut Out as Darth Maul in Solo.

Cripes.
oh so this is what the nerd crew microphones are spoofing. that woman doesnt have a clue about anything. "you were on the news boycotting it?!?"

I guess he still got paid, though so yeah pft.

greenman

Quote from: Glebe on April 06, 2019, 05:46:37 AM
Haha, yeah, I didn't think he was going to launch into his Wogan but I could here a bit of  Terry's warm, brown brogue going on too!

Any excuse.

I'd have loved to see him do a bit more of that without the more over the top elements, the Woganisms and plus the back and forth with Freemans Rotten really are great.

Glebe

Ron Howard Calls Out 'Trolling' As One Reason For Solo's Disappointing Box Office.

QuoteI feel very good about the way it turned out. I love the way it played to audiences, which I witnessed and was a part of. So all of that I'm able to feel good about. Sure, I wish it would've done [better] and lived up to the box office and so forth, so that's disappointing. Why? Maybe it's the release. Maybe it's the idea that it's sort of too nostalgic, going back and revisiting an origin story for a beloved character may not be what the fans were looking for. It kind of seemed to me, looking at it, the opening -- which was big, not as big as the others, it was probably my biggest opening, personally, it was still disappointing to them -- I think those are the hardcore fans. It sort of tells you how many people are tagalongs who need to wait to see what people think and whether it's essential, if it's a zeitgeist movie or not, and whether it's just 'I love Star Wars and I want to see what's next.'

So whatever millions [Solo] made worldwide, those were the core fans, but it didn't hit that zeitgeist point, for whatever reason. Timing, young Han Solo, pushback from the previous movie, which I kept hearing was maybe something. And some trolling, definitely some trolling. Some actual aggressive... It was pretty interesting. Not so much, a little bit the Twitter feed, yes, but it was especially noticeable prior to the release of the movie. Several of the algorithms, whether it was Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, there was an inordinate push down on the 'want to see' and on the fan voting. And when you look at it, it's like 3, 4, 5 -- or whatever the rating is, I forget what the rating is on Rotten Tomatoes, whether it's a scale of 1-5 or 1-10 -- but pretty high, and then a series of 0s or .5s or 1s.

It's troubled production was an early sign things were not gonna turn out so great... and let's face it, it was a bit disappointing.

St_Eddie

He had me up until he blamed trolling as one of the reasons for its failure.  Fuck off, mate.  Your movie was painfully mediocre and as you yourself alluded to, the three main reasons that it failed were...

* People not wanting to see an unnecessary origin story for an established character and recasting Harrison Ford with some young vacuum of charisma who looks nothing like Harrison Ford.

* The closeness in release to The Last Jedi.  People need breathing room.  You can't just pump out a Star Wars movie every few months and expect people to turn up in droves.  Star Wars isn't Marvel.

* The Last Jedi was a divisive movie.  A lot of people hated it and felt that it killed their interest in any more Star Wars, at least for the foreseeable future (myself included).

Trolling is such a cop out excuse.  If it had any kind of impact at all, then it was so minimal, as to not even be worth mentioning in the first place.  Does Ron Howard actually think that your general audience member (i.e. the bulk of where ticket sales come from) pay any kind of attention to online trolls, much less allow them to sway their opinion as to whether to watch a blockbuster movie or not?  Do they bollocks.

I really enjoyed it. Rogue One too. The other two new Star Wars flicks not so much.

greenman

Again I think it was "okish", nothing massively wrong with it but not good enough to deal with the issues Eddie mentions.

I think you see now that part of the reason Disney knocked the anthology films on the head so quickly was because they wanted this kind of material on their streaming service instead, the Mandorian, the Rogue One prequel and talk of the Obi Wan story than was previously going to eb a cinema release.

I mean looking at Solo itself you could argue it does almost feel like a series condensed down into a film that would have benefited from more time to give its linear plot some substance.

Cuellar

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on June 05, 2019, 12:04:17 AM
I really enjoyed it. Rogue One too. The other two new Star Wars flicks not so much.

Yeah ditto. It was slightly hackneyed in places but christ, that's par for the Star Wars course isn't it?

And I thought the main guy did a good Harrison Ford impression.

idunnosomename

I mean I could put this in the new star wars thread. but whatever. here will do. I just think it's hilarious

https://twitter.com/FilmGob/status/1135171337230651394

Collider manbaby professional disney shill having a strop because he didn't get invited to the Star Wars theme park launch

"I've been BUSTING MY FUCKIN ASS AS A STAR WARS FAN for FIVE YEARS"

ah yes. being obsessive about something you enjoy. very hard work.

greenman

Quote from: Cuellar on June 05, 2019, 10:17:05 AMAnd I thought the main guy did a good Harrison Ford impression.

Although I think it benefited from him not spending most of his time trying to ape Ford, most of the casting seemed good to me, the same with the production design but you had a very linear and overstuffed plot.

As for Howards point about trolls I think part of the issue with films like TLJ and the Ghostbusters remake is that they actively seem to go out of their way to rattle the cages of insecure man babies hoping to turn the film into a news story and any judgement of it to fall on political lines rather than on whether it was any good or not.#

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 05, 2019, 10:17:13 AM
I mean I could put this in the new star wars thread. but whatever. here will do. I just think it's hilarious

Collider manbaby professional disney shill having a strop because he didn't get invited to the Star Wars theme park launch

A missed chance to have a Star Wars theme park with dictatorial employees dressed as storm troopers and dangerous bigoted psychopaths employed in the cantina

ZoyzaSorris

Rogue One - decent, great in parts, workmanlike in others. Def the best of the recent bunch by a good furlong.
Solo - passable, bit dull but OK.
Other two new Stars Wars - vaguely enjoyable in very transient passing if you switch your brain off completely but the more you think about them the worse the lingering taste in your mouth.

I don't know why I'm not a professional film reviewer.

gloria

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 05, 2019, 12:59:28 PM
Rogue One - decent, great in parts, workmanlike in others. Def the best of the recent bunch by a good furlong.
Solo - passable, bit dull but OK.
Other two new Stars Wars - vaguely enjoyable in very transient passing if you switch your brain off completely but the more you think about them the worse the lingering taste in your mouth.

Spot on.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 04, 2019, 07:22:50 PM
He had me up until he blamed trolling as one of the reasons for its failure.  Fuck off, mate.  Your movie was painfully mediocre and as you yourself alluded to, the three main reasons that it failed were...

* People not wanting to see an unnecessary origin story for an established character and recasting Harrison Ford with some young vacuum of charisma who looks nothing like Harrison Ford.

* The closeness in release to The Last Jedi.  People need breathing room.  You can't just pump out a Star Wars movie every few months and expect people to turn up in droves.  Star Wars isn't Marvel.

* The Last Jedi was a divisive movie.  A lot of people hated it and felt that it killed their interest in any more Star Wars, at least for the foreseeable future (myself included).

Trolling is such a cop out excuse.  If it had any kind of impact at all, then it was so minimal, as to not even be worth mentioning in the first place.  Does Ron Howard actually think that your general audience member (i.e. the bulk of where ticket sales come from) pay any kind of attention to online trolls, much less allow them to sway their opinion as to whether to watch a blockbuster movie or not?  Do they bollocks.

Mostly it was shit because there was no Greedo.

There should have been a side plot where Han was also one upping Greedo thoughout the story. Ending with Greedo shaking his fist and going "i'll get you Haaaaan".

Not even joking.

Now is as good a time as any for a "Nerd Crew" video.

St_Eddie

It's a very telling statement.  It suggests that he's a shill and has been bigging up the Disney Star Wars movies, not because he genuinely likes them, but because he wants the benefits that come with being a shill.  That's what he means by "working hard to be a fan"; he's been working hard to promote their franchise, in the hopes that he'll get exclusives for his channel.  'You rub my back, I'll rub yours'.  It's no small secret that Disney has a track record of inviting the content creators who talk positively about their franchises and give good reviews to premieres and other exclusive events.  The guy feels betrayed because he's essentially sold out for nothing.

There are a few people who gave a bad review to one of Disney's franchise movies, after giving good reviews to the rest and when they asked if they'd be invited to the premiere for the latest installment in franchise X, as they have been in the past, they were told "sorry, but we only invite people who are positively minded".

And the gobsmacking thing is, he apparently had a planet in the Star Wars universe named after him!  You'd think that would be enough if he was a real fan.

madhair60

I genuinely enjoyed TFA and TLJ, especially the latter

Rogue One put me to sleep (literally), but I didn't hate it. Solo was fun but forgettable

mothman

Quote from: bgmnts on June 05, 2019, 01:52:42 PM
Mostly it was shit because there was no Greedo.

There should have been a side plot where Han was also one upping Greedo thoughout the story. Ending with Greedo shaking his fist and going "i'll get you Haaaaan".

Not even joking.

So, like Sully and Boggs in Monsters University?

Glebe

idunnosomename

I don't think that's the funniest bit,  but I love the smirk of the guy in the foreground at the sound desk

I haven't seen this, but why isn't Jabba the Hut in it? Was it all for the pointless Darth Maul suprise at the end?

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 07, 2019, 04:41:41 PM
I haven't seen this, but why isn't Jabba the Hut in it?

That's what irked me the most about Solo.  Prior to watching it, I fundamentally hated the concept, as its completely unnecessary but I rationalised within my head, given that Disney was hellbent on making an origin story for Han Solo 'well, at least it'll be kinda neat to see the history between Han and Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett play out'.  Then I watched the movie and they weren't even in it.  I mean, they have all of this constant and ridiculous fan service/pandering throughout its runtime but they left out the only two things which I actually had a bit of interest in seeing.  Instead, they teased Jabba the Hutt for a sequel.  A sequel which will never happen.  Fucking great, Disney.  Ta.

Ham Bap

I believe they had sequels in mind that would also have included a young Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul.

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 07, 2019, 04:36:05 PM
I don't think that's the funniest bit,  but I love the smirk of the guy in the foreground at the sound desk

I'm not defending Harloff, but I hated how that guy was smugly playing up to the cameras.  All of these people are opportunists in it for themselves and its only a matter of time before he's told to do/or denied something he weally, weally wants.

St_Eddie

"WAH WAH.  WHERE'S MUH PWESENTS, DISNEY?!  GIVE ME MUH PWESENTS OR I'LL SCWEAM AND I'LL SCWEAM AND I'LL SCWEAM, TILL MUH FACE IS AS BLUE AS MUH BALLS!"