Author Topic: Star Wars: Young Han Solo  (Read 20372 times)

St_Eddie

Re: Star Wars: Young Han Solo
« Reply #510 on: May 14, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »
I think it'd be interesting to see how what must have been a fairly convivial relationship between Kenobi and Owen Lars would break down so totally. Hell, he brought you the child you couldn't have yourself, show some gratitude! But given it's obviously Luke barely knows Kenobi at all, having the two of them go off on an adventure together would be a massive mistake.

There's currently credible rumours circulating that Disney have started pre-poduction on an Obi-Wan movie, with an eye towards a 2020 release.  I wouldn't rule out seeing a child age Luke Skywalker crop up in that.  After all, it seems as though Luke knows him, if his line of dialogue in A New Hope is anything to go by; "I wonder if he means old Ben Kenobi".

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #511 on: May 14, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »
It just seems like a bit of a nonsequitur to me.

OK, I'm Owen Lars (I just had a barbecue tonight, so I can get into character really easily). My widowered dad buys a slave, falls in love with her, frees her and marries her. She seems like a nice person, so, whatever. Theh one day she's kidnapped by Tuskens; my dad takes a posse out to rescue her and they get all fucked up. Then, a couple of days later her son turns up. He's supposed to have gone off to be a Jedi or something but he comes across like a little snot, to be honest. Anyway, he goes off by himself, kills a bunch of Tuskens but is too late to save her. Then he leaves.

Coupla years down the line, my dad's dead and 've married Beru, but we can't have kids. Then this guy called Kenobi turns uo with a baby he says is Shmi's son's son, who's been called Luke...

{interlude of about 20 years}

... that guy Kenobi is just this crazy old guy lives out beyond the Dune Sea. I don't want him putting funny ideas in Luke's head.

Now, I reckon there's something there. What happened in that interlude? But it doesn't have to be a "Kenobi and pre-pubescent Luke go have adventures" kind of story. Luke could appear very briefly. Maybe played by a CGI Jake Lloyd.

St_Eddie

« Reply #512 on: May 14, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
Now, I reckon there's something there. What happened in that interlude? But it doesn't have to be a "Kenobi and pre-pubescent Luke go have adventures" kind of story...

That's what I meant; just a quick cameo and a brief interaction between the two.  Naturally, it wouldn't make a lick of sense for them to go gallivanting off on a grand old rollicking adventure together, which is exactly why Disney will probably do just that.

« Reply #513 on: May 14, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »
Luke Versus The Womp Rat.

St_Eddie

« Reply #514 on: May 14, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »
Luke Versus The Womp Rat.

An artist's rendition of a womp rat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A real-life womp rat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A wombat.

My money's on the womp rat, possibly the wombat.  If they should ever team up, then Luke doesn't stand a chance.

Ant Farm Keyboard

• 60 percent of the time, it works every time
« Reply #515 on: May 15, 2018, 01:49:25 AM »
Emilia Clarke was obviously joking about the Luke stuff, and I don't think anybody would ask for a Luke's younger years feature film.

And there's no Obi-Wan Kenobi film in pre-production for a 2020 release. Lucasfilm under Disney management has only released a film a year and Indy V is already scheduled for July 2020.
Now, I have no doubts that they have a few projects in development apart from the trilogy by Rian Johnson or the series by Benioff & Weiss. The Josh Trank film was reportedly about Bobba Fett, and both Yoda and Obi-Wan have been mentioned as potential subjects.
But every project so far had a director attached more than two years before completion (even if they change the director after the announcement), so I don't think they would have a super secret project in preproduction for 2020 with no director attached.

St_Eddie

« Reply #516 on: May 15, 2018, 02:48:57 AM »
Emilia Clarke was obviously joking about the Luke stuff, and I don't think anybody would ask for a Luke's younger years feature film.

And there's no Obi-Wan Kenobi film in pre-production for a 2020 release. Lucasfilm under Disney management has only released a film a year and Indy V is already scheduled for July 2020.
Now, I have no doubts that they have a few projects in development apart from the trilogy by Rian Johnson or the series by Benioff & Weiss. The Josh Trank film was reportedly about Bobba Fett, and both Yoda and Obi-Wan have been mentioned as potential subjects.
But every project so far had a director attached more than two years before completion (even if they change the director after the announcement), so I don't think they would have a super secret project in preproduction for 2020 with no director attached.

The rumour was verified by Jason Ward from MakingStarWars.net, who has been proven correct in terms of his verified Star Wars leaks, time and time again.  I forgot to mention that Stephen Daldry (director of Billy Elliot) is apparently signed on to direct.  I kind of screwed the metophrical pooch when I said that it was due in 2020.  The rumour suggested that it may be set to begin filming in April of next year.

Having said that, I'm still taking the rumour with a pinch salt (especially in terms of the date because like you said, you'd have thought that Disney would have announced it already) but like I say, the rumour was verified by a credible and reliable source, for whatever that's worth (a hill of beans, perhaps).

« Reply #517 on: May 15, 2018, 11:11:34 PM »
Young Greedo should have been shot first.

Ant Farm Keyboard

• 60 percent of the time, it works every time
« Reply #518 on: May 15, 2018, 11:17:15 PM »
As you say, the project seems likely, and they may want to keep things under wraps, but it's unlikely to come out in 2020. Disney already has three untitled Marvel projects scheduled for the year, some Avatar sequel may finally be released, etc. And I guess that Indy V may be more important to them, as they want to put the franchise back in everyone's mind, before the inevitable reboot.

Dr Rock

• Warning: Post May Contain Virtue Signalling
« Reply #519 on: May 15, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »

St_Eddie

« Reply #520 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:53 AM »
As you say, the project seems likely, and they may want to keep things under wraps, but it's unlikely to come out in 2020. Disney already has three untitled Marvel projects scheduled for the year, some Avatar sequel may finally be released, etc. And I guess that Indy V may be more important to them, as they want to put the franchise back in everyone's mind, before the inevitable reboot.

Aye, I think that you're probably right.

That title is clearly a euphemism.  It's going to be a 2hr20min movie about Uncle Owen's failure to control his incontinence issues in front of Aunt Beru.

St_Eddie

« Reply #521 on: May 16, 2018, 02:00:04 AM »
The review embargo has been lifted for Solo.  It's no great surprise to say that it's not looking good.  It's currently at 73% on Rotten Tomatoes (consider that Rogue One is at 85% and The Last Jedi is at 91%).  The overwhelming majority opinion seems to be "meh".  You can read a summary of the reviews (with links to each of them) here.

« Reply #522 on: May 16, 2018, 02:05:34 AM »
Still no Greedo teaser.

« Reply #523 on: May 16, 2018, 05:17:17 AM »
The review embargo has been lifted for Solo.  It's no great surprise to say that it's not looking good.  It's currently at 73% on Rotten Tomatoes (consider that Rogue One is at 85% and The Last Jedi is at 91%).  The overwhelming majority opinion seems to be "meh".  You can read a summary of the reviews (with links to each of them) here.

I wouldn't put much stock in RT at the best of times, but especially not so close to release. It will take a while for more reviews to come in and for the score to settle.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #524 on: May 16, 2018, 01:40:16 PM »
I wouldn't put much stock in RT at the best of times, but especially not so close to release.

And further especially that RT has Last Jedi at 91%.  World's gone fucking mad, mate.

Mate.

Dr Rock

« Reply #525 on: May 16, 2018, 01:42:31 PM »
Seen some YouTube reviews. Nobody is raving about this. Heard the word 'boring'. Mostly 'ok, not great'. Another dud.

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
« Reply #526 on: May 16, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
I think anything Star Wars is going to get poor reviews for a while as especially YT reviewers have probably found a lot of mileage in bashing it after TLJ (rightly or wrongly) - if you say you liked it you're more likely to be in the minority.

IndieWire liked Solo: http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-review-ron-howard-prequel-alden-ehrenreich-1201964309/

I've read a few saying it's fun and lively, most problems seem to be with the initial pacing giving his back story before getting to the meat of it.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #527 on: May 16, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »
The impression I'm getting from (Joe Public) reviews and comments at the moment is that most of the people who like it have liked all of the other new films, whilst those that don't, errrrr...don't.

« Reply #528 on: May 16, 2018, 03:13:48 PM »
These reviews seem to be a Rorshach test for what you think the film is going to be like. Some see them as mainly positive with the odd critical touch, while others seem them as critical with a few saving graces.

To me it looks from the headlines of the reviews that it will be a perfectly decent romp with engaging leads but not much depth. So not as good as it could be but a lot better than was feared after Lord and Miller were given the boot

St_Eddie

« Reply #529 on: May 16, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
The reoccurring criticisms across all of the reviews which I've read (about 10 or so), are as follows...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Unnecessary movie which fails to justify its existence.

* There's no real plot.  It's more of a loosely connected series of fan pandering moments (Han meets Chewbacca/the Kessell Run etc.).

* Dull and monotone cinematography which doesn't suit the Star Wars universe (flipping between scenes comprised entirely of either brown, grey or blue).

* Alden Ehrenreich is adequate in the role but nothing more.  He fails to capture the charisma and devil may care attitude of Harrison Ford.

* The movie feels very low stakes and is possibly the least consequential story of the big budget Star Wars flicks.  It feels more like an extended pilot for a TV series.  It's very forgettable and disposable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Those seem to be the main reoccurring criticisms.  I've had these negatives crop up time and time again in many of the reviews which I've read.  On the plus side, nobody seems to be saying that it's an out and out bad movie; it's just mediocre and disposable.  Having said that, personally speaking, I find bland and forgettable movies to be the worst kind of movie because at least a terrible stinker can be fascinating and compelling to watch and rip to pieces.

« Reply #530 on: May 16, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
I dunno, there's at least a 2.5 hour summer film to be made about Luke's days building sandcastles and discovering masturbation

Or about all the times he went to the tosche station to pick up some power convertors.

All Luke does for the first act of the film is whinge, so any film would essentially be based on the 'ian beale in space' concept that people have been crying out for.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #531 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
The Guardian's review overall come out pretty good. Unless they're just trying to be determinedly contrarian, again.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/15/solo-a-star-wars-story-review-han-solo-origins-film-is-boistrous-bromance

Dr Rock

« Reply #532 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:09 PM »
The Guardian's review overall come out pretty good. Unless they're just trying to be determinedly contrarian, again.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/15/solo-a-star-wars-story-review-han-solo-origins-film-is-boistrous-bromance

Which makes me curious as to their review of the piece of shit Last Jedi:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/dec/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review-episode-viii-rian-johnson

Star Wars: The Last Jedi review – an explosive thrill-ride of galactic proportions
Director Rian Johnson delivers a tidal wave of energy and emotion in the eighth episode of the saga, as Luke, Leia, Finn and Rey step up to meet their destiny

The Last Jedi gives you an explosive sugar rush of spectacle. It’s a film that buzzes with belief in itself and its own mythic universe – a euphoric certainty that I think no other movie franchise has. And there is no provisional hesitation or energy dip of the sort that might have been expected between episodes seven and nine.

What there is, admittedly, is an anticlimactic narrative muddle in the military story, but this is not much of a flaw considering the tidal wave of energy and emotion that crashes out of the screen in the final five minutes. It’s impossible not to be swept away.

Four stars out of five. Euphoric tidal wave of energy and emotion. Piss off.

St_Eddie

« Reply #533 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »
Four stars out of five. Euphoric tidal wave of energy and emotion. Piss off.

Quite.  The only tidal wave in relation to The Last Jedi was one of vomit and diarrhea.

St_Eddie

« Reply #534 on: May 16, 2018, 11:33:32 PM »
Here's a full point-by-point breakdown of the plot.  This is confirmed, so don't read it unless you don't mind spoilers...

Film starts with text but there's no crawl.

Han and Qi'ra are trying to leave Corellia. They are boyfriend and girlfriend, and they kiss.

They steal something they can use to bribe an Imperial officer with so they can escape. "Some worm" guys chase after them in those speeders from the trailers. Han and Qi'ra reach the Imperial hangar.

They try to bribe an Imperial officer to escape Corellia, they get separated, Qi'ra gets captured by gangsters, Han hides in a recruitment center where he joins the Imperial army to leave Corellia. He says his name is just "Han" and that he's alone...Imperial guard gives him the last name "Solo".

3 years later

Han is fighting on Mimban. He sees Beckett and his team including Val and Rio Durant. They are disguised as Imperial troops, but aren't fighting. Han tries to tell on them because they won't let him join their crew, but Beckett rats Han out first, saying that Han is trying to desert the Empire.

Han gets thrown into a prisoner camp, where Chewie is. They escape. Beckett's crew sees this and they decide to "rescue" Han and Chewie and let them be part of their crew.

They try to steal fuel cells from a train from the trailer. Enfys Nest and the Cloud Raiders are also there, trying to steal it. Val sacrifices herself. Rio Durant, who is the pilot, also dies.

Now Han must pilot the ship (not the Falcon) He drops the fuel cells and they blow up.

Han, Chewie, and Beckett now go to a big time gangster boss called Dryden Voss' hangout. He is the gangster they are trying to sell fuel cells too. Beckett comes up with a new plan, saying that there is some on Kessel.

Qi'ra is now Dryden's girlfriend. She tells them that she knows Lando has a fast ship they can use.

Han, Chewie, Beckett, Qi'ra go see Lando.

Han plays sabacc with Lando to win the Falcon. Han loses because Lando cheats, Han knows he cheats, but can't prove it.

Lando and his robot friend, L3 fly the Falcon with the crew to Kessel. Han and Qi'ra have another moment alone, they kiss again.

L3 tries to save robot prisoners, but gets shot and teared in half.

Chewie tries to free Wookies.
The crew escapes Kessel with the fuel cells. Han must fly the Falcon now, because Lando is sad L3 is basically dead. They use L3's "brain" to help navigate through a black hole and the tentacle monster from the trailer.

The fuel cells from Kessel are unstable, so they have to go to a new planet to make them stable some how. Enfys Nest and her gang are there. Turns out she is a 16 year old girl and they are trying to help some "rebellion" and needs the fuel.

Lando flies away with the Falcon.

Han, Chewie, Qi'ra, go back to Dryden Voss. Beckett stays behind because he thinks Dryden Voss may kill him.

It turns out Beckett double crosses Han and tells Dryden Voss that the fuel cells are fake (even though they are real).

Han, Qi'ra, and Chewie fight Dryden Voss and his guards. Voss and his guards die.

Han goes after Beckett for revenge. Qi'ra stays behind, using a hologram message to speak with her actual gangster boss: Darth Maul.

Darth Maul is a crime lord now. Ray Park is the actor, but they use Sam Witwer's voice.

Maul is only in hologram form and is in the movie for less than a minute.

This is the last mention of Qi'ra. It is unclears what happens to her.

Beckett tries to talk his way out of trouble with Han, but Han shoots first and kills Beckett.

The movie ends with Han and Chewie going to a new planet to find Lando.

Han hugs Lando, similarly to how Lando hugs Han in ESB. While hugging, Han steals Lando's cheat card he kept in his sleeve.

Han goes all in on his sabacc hand, winning Lando's Falcon.

Han and Chewie fly the Falcon, stating they need to go to Tattoine to meet a "big time gangster" presumably Jabba the Hutt, although Jabba is not mentioned by name.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #535 on: May 17, 2018, 12:13:37 AM »
Here's a full point-by-point breakdown of the plot.  This is confirmed, so don't read it unless you don't mind spoilers...
[You]Han goes after Beckett for revenge. Qi'ra stays behind, using a hologram message to speak with her actual gangster boss: Darth Maul.

Darth Maul is a crime lord now. Ray Park is the actor, but they use Sam Witwer's voice.

Maul is only in hologram form and is in the movie for less than a minute.
[/You]

That's the same [You]Darth Maul[/You] as in TPM? Really? They have him in it? So, he [You]didn't die from being split in half and dropping down a hole[/You]?

REALLY!?

St_Eddie

« Reply #536 on: May 17, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »
REALLY!?

Yes, really.  They're sticking to what was depicted in one of those naff animated TV shows (The Clone Wars, I think), where Darth Maul reappeared, somehow having survived being chopped in half and falling down a massive shaft.  He now has his torso grafted onto a massive pair of robot legs.  PROOF.  It's really fucking stupid.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #537 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:49 AM »
Fucks sake! Used to be a time when a bad guy was dropped down a hole they stayed down that hole.

They'll be bringing the Emperor back next.

Bhazor

• Are you rolling your own jelly babies in there?
« Reply #538 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:51 AM »
Aww. I was hoping it would be like The Nerd Crew version. Where Darth Maul is on a little war vietnam vet wagon and has to fight his own legs which have had a cyborg replacement Darth Maul on top
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:01:09 AM by Bhazor »

St_Eddie

« Reply #539 on: May 17, 2018, 12:52:47 AM »
Fucks sake! Used to be a time when a bad guy was dropped down a hole they stayed down that hole.

They'll be bringing the Emperor back next.

As ridiculous and nonsensical as that would be, I wouldn't mind having the Emperor back, if it meant getting to see some more of Ian McDiarmid, gloriously hamming it up on screen.  These new Star Wars movies are all shite, so they might as well be entertainingly shite.

Aww. I was hoping it would be like The Nerd Crew version. Where Darth Maul is on a little war vietnam vet wagon and has to fight his own legs which have had a cyborg replacement

Speaking of The Nerd Crew, their new episode is in the house and very cool.