Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GLOW (Netflix show starring Alison Brie)

Started by up_the_hampipe, June 22, 2017, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

I've been looking forward to this. It comes on Netflix tomorrow. It's from the creator of Orange Is The New Black and is based loosely on the 80s all-female professional wrestling promotion "Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling" a.k.a. GLOW. Stars Alison Brie and Marc Maron.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZqDO6cTYVY

Ja'moke

Really looking forward to this. Two of my fave things, wrestling and Alison Brie (and wrestling Alison Brie). It's been getting great early reviews too.

up_the_hampipe

Psst... I heard Alison Brie gets all naked in it too. But that's not important. We're modern men who aren't driven by objectification.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 22, 2017, 06:48:13 PM
Psst... I heard Alison Brie gets all naked in it too. But that's not important. We're modern men who aren't driven by objectification.

DrGreggles

Alison Brie is a wonderful women, and I want to protect her.

Swoz_MK

Can't hack Maron at all but I have fond memories of GLOW being on one of the arse-end channels of BSB when I was a kid.
Ellen Wong's in it so that's enough for me to "binge" it (ugh).

Repeater

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 22, 2017, 06:48:13 PM
Psst... I heard Alison Brie gets all naked in it too.

Can confirm that she does. In the first episode. More than once. I had to cover my eyes during those bits though, as I'm no sexist.

up_the_hampipe

I'm enjoying Maron in this. He's sort of perfect for the role. But he's never really annoyed me that much, unlike the almost unnecessary anger some people have for him on here and other places.

Bazooka

Her face looks completely different, especially after having fawned over her on Mad Men for all those years.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 23, 2017, 04:07:23 PM
I'm enjoying Maron in this. He's sort of perfect for the role. But he's never really annoyed me that much, unlike the almost unnecessary anger some people have for him on here and other places.

Same here, he's really in his element with this type of role.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 23, 2017, 04:44:46 PM
Same here, he's really in his element with this type of role.

Didn't expect to see him doing goofy physical comedy when he's trying to get in and out of the ring, but I appreciate it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bazooka on June 23, 2017, 04:37:10 PM
Her face looks completely different, especially after having fawned over her on Mad Men for all those years.

She does look quite different but I still struggled to take it seriously when she's seen as a "normal girl" who doesn't get cast in movies as she's not sexy enough.

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 23, 2017, 10:26:00 AM
Can confirm that she does. In the first episode. More than once. I had to cover my eyes during those bits though, as I'm no sexist.

I too was appalled when just 5 minutes and 38 seconds in she got naked. And then again at 17 minutes and 38 seconds. It's exploitative stuff which I too did not enjoy at all. The rest of it was pretty fun and definitely worth watching thankfully.

Moribunderast

Watched the first two episodes last night and thoroughly enjoyed them - I think if social duties didn't require me to get some sleep I would have ended up watching the whole thing in one go. Some good laughs so far and the ensemble is gelling together nicely early on. Maron is the standout and anyone avoiding the show because of his presence should rethink their stance. I know he's divisive (I myself have little time for him, despite having really enjoyed seeing him live once) but he's doing a great job with the material here. His first pratfall and accompanying "What the fuck?!" was delightful.

Mini

I enjoyed the first episode, it feels slightly like OITNB in tone. Let's hope Netflix don't do their usual thing of having a great first series and then letting the quality slide while they focus on the next new show.

Also the name Alison Brie is sung in my head to the tune of Under the Sea. Enjoy!

Repeater

yeah her nude scenes irked me a lot, I don't quite know why. They were obnoxious and pointless. And aye, she does look a bit strange. I guess she's ok though. Maron is brilliant.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Repeater on June 24, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
yeah her nude scenes irked me a lot, I don't quite know why. They were obnoxious and pointless. And aye, she does look a bit strange. I guess she's ok though. Maron is brilliant.

It's a bit of a cancer in US TV at the moment. Loads of shows  have gratuitous nudity in the first episode of a series, presumably because focus groups have reacted well to it.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this, and yes, Maron is great playing a version of himself.

Gulftastic

I enjoyed it loads. The Rocky style ending was a bit cliched, but overall a good show.

And as much as I was grateful for the Brie nudity, she looked sexiest in her final ring gear.

Ja'moke

Finished this now. Enjoyed it. I found it very similar to OITNB, as in, nothing groundbreaking but great ensemble work and very watchable.

This is a good interview with Alison Brie (http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/alison-brie-glow-character-wasnt-meant-to-be-attractive.html) where she talks about how she had to fight for the role because the creators originally wanted a new face and not someone "conventionally" attractive. "I think they were responding to roles that I've played in the past that are very polished and adorable, which was not what they were looking for. So, I was brought in many times and I wore no makeup, and wore workout clothes, and tied my hair back, and really didn't hold back my desire to be a part of the show."

Also, the actors did the majority of their own stunts which is pretty cool.

Repeater

she did look amazing though still so im no buyin it, plus they had her get her tits and arse out for no reason early so

Ja'moke

Oh yeah for sure, she's still Alison Brie and looked amazing. Those parts were jarring for me at first, when they kept saying she wasn't conventionally attractive, but then it made more sense to see that's just the way the script was written and Brie was cast afterwards (rather than the part being specifically written for her).

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 25, 2017, 02:47:13 PM
Oh yeah for sure, she's still Alison Brie and looked amazing. Those parts were jarring for me at first, when they kept saying she wasn't conventionally attractive, but then it made more sense to see that's just the way the script was written and Brie was cast afterwards (rather than the part being specifically written for her).

Maybe rewrite certain lines then?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on June 25, 2017, 03:48:04 PM
Maybe rewrite certain lines then?

I guess they didn't want to alter the character they created.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

All the CAB men on this thread complaining about Alison Brie getting nekkid, and the gratuity of it all...  I don't believe you for a fucking minute 'm proud of  you boys, I really am. Seems  as if the script had someone like her who created and starred in "Girls" in mind. Is there anyone out there who would *not* consider Alison Brie conventionally attractive ?

up_the_hampipe

Ja'moke

I just watched the GLOW documentary which is also on Netflix. Definitely worth a watch, really sweet and sad in places. I never knew Ivory from WWE was part of GLOW.