Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GLOW (Netflix show starring Alison Brie)

Started by up_the_hampipe, June 22, 2017, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 25, 2017, 01:56:59 PM
Finished this now. Enjoyed it. I found it very similar to OITNB, as in, nothing groundbreaking but great ensemble work and very watchable.

And the Maron character is just Caputo isn't he

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mini on June 26, 2017, 12:13:15 AM
And the Maron character is just Caputo isn't he

Pretty much. They both rock a mean moustache.

Repeater

Main thing is, the lead blonde ruins every scene with her sour puss and gormless expression

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I liked the fact that the episodes were only half an hour each. There's so much other stuff to watch these days. The downside was it felt a bit rushed. Half the cast could have been developed a bit more and the end of "Machu Pichu's" story seemed to come out of nowhere.

That aside, it was enjoyable stuff, although it was bizarre seeing Trudy Campbell banging Harry Crane.

Dr Rock

Despite the warnings about seeing Alison Brie naked, twice, I watched it anyway. No bad, I will watch other episodes, but I hope she doesn't get naked too often maybe once or twice an episode I could tolerate. I've liked the concept of female wrestling since Love & Rockets set a lot of Maggie's stories around it.

The lines about her not being conventionally attractive stood out as weird though, she's obviously very pretty. But she does look different to how she looked in Community... maybe just because she's a few years older, or her make-up is different, or it's not shot like a TV sitcom, I dunno.

phes

Two promising episodes and then they just stopped writing. Cringeworthy thereafter what they had to work with

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 26, 2017, 01:27:53 AM
But she does look different to how she looked in Community... maybe just because she's a few years older, or her make-up is different, or it's not shot like a TV sitcom, I dunno.

I gather from interviews with her that she genuinely was makeup-free during the shooting of this show, which explains the difference in appearance. It also ties into the theme of women finding their true inner identity through the performative costume fantasia of wrestling. She starts out a blank, then only dons the make-up when she finds the person she wants to be.

I finished the show yesterday and I thought it was cracking all the way though, especially once the ensemble dynamic had kicked in. Brie is a top comic performer, and Maron does career-best work. The writing is solid, even if the finale was a little cliched plot-wise. Most of the characters seemed interesting with more to explore about them, so roll on season two. More good TV should be this fun.

wooders1978

Singer Kate Nash shows off her rather nice breasts as well, but us progressive types aren't interested in any of that

Seriously though its really quite good as these shows go

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Speaking of Nash, I think her character and Melrose should have been condensed into one. They weren't all that distinct from one another and the affair with Sam would have added an extra dimension to Melrose's rivalry with Cherry.

New Jack

Not being asexual, I enjoyed the eyecandy, I'm not going to pretend I don't admire the female form, although I will concede Alison's titflash in episode 1 was a bit difficult to explain why they needed to do it. Showing the shagging at least worked in terms of story - you saw what worked to get her into bed, and saw her trying to shut him up during it, thus understanding her character better. It might also have been a nod to Mad Men!

On a show with so many women I'm sure nobody would be showing flesh if they were uncomfortable with it.

Anyway, thought it was ace. There's a few plot points I don't quite get - or, more accurately, things introduced that didn't go anywhere yet / only lasted 1 episode - but by the end I basically just assumed they were setting up threads for season 2.

It was too short :(

As someone who likes wrestling it was quite respectful and wasn't offputting to an insider, and it also seems like it didn't turn outsiders off with its presentation.

The original GLOW was crazy and some of the characters here are basically the same!

NEEDS a New Jack cameo

The changing room scene in episode one reminded me of a gratuitous one in Starship Troopers. The actress is gorgeous and entirely unbelievable playing a plucky unpretty gal. That's not the fault of this Alison Brie though. Think I'll keep watching.

Small Man Big Horse

I've finished now and enjoyed it, but then I'm always fond of shows which treat abortion in a non-judgemental manner. It has some issues, and I definitely could have done without so much of Liberty Bell and her irritating husband towards the end but I suppose it made for an exciting finale and I loved the last line, before the end credits sequence at least. There's some real life Glow action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUvyIWerhk - which amused quite a lot, it looks like a much cheaper affair but the wrestling and stage theatrics are impressive, as is the commentator fella.

Repeater

Here's the issue, 245 stories told over far too short a timespan. Think of it, the abortion thing, Ruth's persona, the daughter thing, the husband thing, the money thing, the main real-life animosity, the wolf person's story, the use of the black-team and the old ladies... just far, far too much. Bag of shite tbh. Liberty Bell was terrible and unlikeable, her husband a complete bawheid.

SteveDave

Kate Nash and Marc Maron in one show? Everyday we stray further from God's light.

New Jack

Quote from: Repeater on June 29, 2017, 08:13:44 AM
Here's the issue, 245 stories told over far too short a timespan.

So you're criticising it because you wanted more... Nah I get you. I did say myself they seemed to bring up loads of things to drop them. I'm seeing this season essentially as setting up the next one. Which is arguably bad, but arguably what first series are for? It has plot whiplash, for sure.

QuoteLiberty Bell was terrible and unlikeable, her husband a complete bawheid.

Up until the last few episodes I thought her arc was gonna see her turn heel and they didn't shy away from it at times like when Sam was trying to find her the perfect heel when she was a diva and annoying.

As for her husband.... ain't that the character? He's a toss and she's better shut of him. He's all about working on changing himself but won't support his wife in her new passion.

Repeater

och it was just too much, nothing had space and time to breathe. Would've been better with 1 hour episodes.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: SteveDave on June 29, 2017, 10:46:57 AM
Kate Nash and Marc Maron in one show? Everyday we stray further from God's light.

We're straying further from His light every time someone uses this stupid meme.

Anyway, I finished the show last night. It became a bit of a chore after the first few episodes. Although it was a relief that each episode was only half an hour, it meant that some things were quite rushed. There wasn't much focus on the wrestling. At one point they didn't know how to fall down properly, next thing we know they can choreograph an entire match. I'm sure they felt it wouldn't be that interesting watching them learn, but I was most fascinated by the wrestling sequences. For me it suffered from the Orange Is The New Black problem (as you'd expect from the same creator) in that it was trying to be funny and failing too often. Would have worked better as a drama with comedic elements, I think, instead of vice versa. And, yes, the nudity was unnecessary and I don't understand how it was supposed to be empowering.

greenman

For something more serious on the wrestling side the BBC GAEA girls documentary is worth watching....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU4OYP1i82k

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 29, 2017, 03:20:16 AMIt has some issues, and I definitely could have done without so much of Liberty Bell and her irritating husband towards the end

Liberty Belle's husband is the Jason Biggs of this, isn't he?

hewantstolurkatad

How is Kate Nash only 29?

The blonde has ridiculously big breasts, doesn't she?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on June 29, 2017, 08:32:13 PM
Liberty Belle's husband is the Jason Biggs of this, isn't he?

Heh, that's a great comparison. And hopefully he'll have the same fate as Biggs as well.

maett

Great show, loving Marc Maron's character and came so hard knocking one out over Brie's sex scene I thought my neck was going to snap

Lee Van Cleef

I thought it was a nice twist on the Tootsie thing. Jake Gyllenhaal's fake breasts were convincingly pert.

Mr Brightside

Watched this over the last couple of days. Was a good show but was hoping for a naked wrestling match between Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin where they also oil each other up before the match. We at least definitely need to see Gilpin's lovely massive breasts in season two. That was my review and suggestions for season two. Cheers.

olliebean

Quote from: Mr Brightside on July 10, 2017, 10:22:59 PM
Watched this over the last couple of days. Was a good show but was hoping for a naked wrestling match between Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin where they also oil each other up before the match. We at least definitely need to see Gilpin's lovely massive breasts in season two. That was my review and suggestions for season two. Cheers.

You didn't watch the deleted scenes, then?

rue the polywhirl

Just finished watching the series. The first few episodes were hella promising before it sort of switched instantly to being formulaic with the odd formulaic, feminist-tinged bending of the formula - Brie's performance was immense to begin with. Maybe it's because she didn't get fully naked again beyond the first episode but I grew kinda tired with her as the series wore as I found her becoming one note and repetitive, probably the fault of the writers. Maron on the other hand was pretty solid. We didn't need to see him butt-naked in episode 8 though. They didn't really push the boat out on the drama till the last two episodes and even then the writing felt really choppy. It was an ok series but it was only because of girls in leotards that I felt compelled to stick with it.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on July 13, 2017, 01:13:38 AM
Brie's performance was immense to begin with. Maybe it's because she didn't get fully naked again beyond the first episode but I grew kinda tired with her as the series wore as I found her becoming one note and repetitive. It was an ok series but it was only because of girls in leotards that I felt compelled to stick with it.

Appalling. This is objectification.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: maett on July 02, 2017, 04:42:21 PM
Great show, loving Marc Maron's character and came so hard knocking one out over Brie's sex scene I thought my neck was going to snap

Hello, everyone. I came so hard knocking one out over Brie's sex scene my neck did snap. I am typing this message with one finger on the keyboard onboard my wheelchair. This is a warning to you all. Take heed.