Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:30:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GLOW (Netflix show starring Alison Brie)

Started by up_the_hampipe, June 22, 2017, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I kindof enjoyed it. A few funny lines in each episode. I probably wouldn't bother with a second series unless they actually put nudity in every episode like they implied they would from the first two episodes.

Sin Agog

Going on that Glow documentary, there's actually quite a bit of material there they could cover in later seasons.  The weirdest thing was how all the girls were ultimately moved into their own separate Glow compounds in Vegas, where the goodies weren't allowed to communicate with the heels, and if they did they'd be fined.  I can't see Marc Maron's character being quite that domineering, but I guess it's a possibility if he went a bit coke-crazy.

Buelligan

I watched the first four episodes (based on this thread).  I kept expecting something to happen that would make me understand what the point was.  It didn't so I gave up. 

Quote from: Repeater on June 26, 2017, 12:22:23 AM
Main thing is, the lead blonde ruins every scene with her sour puss and gormless expression

I was surprised to read she is 30 years old. At a guess, I would have put her down in her 40s.

Mini

I finally finished this and enjoyed it, but I think it's a shame the best-written character on such a female-centric show is Marc Maron. Or do I just think he's the best-written because I am technically a man?

Head Gardener

ads for season 2 are popping up in local bus shelters so it must be back soon

Ja'moke

New Jack

Love this. My favourite show.

Only criticism I have is the tits in episode one. Was probably a marketing thing for scumbag men, as no other episode relied on sex and nudity. Don't think it was exploitative but they didn't need it again, so what gives?

I fell in love at 'there's DRUGS in the fucking robot!' or more seriously, it was utterly charming, and I loved the shout outs to the original GLOW (the actual GLOW rap is astounding)

Just needs a New Jack cameo, right people??... People?

Quote from: Mini on July 25, 2017, 10:03:10 AM
I finally finished this and enjoyed it, but I think it's a shame the best-written character on such a female-centric show is Marc Maron. Or do I just think he's the best-written because I am technically a man?

Disagree. Heard loads of fellas latch onto him cause he does coke and it's Maron doing himself, doing acerbic oneliners, with a bit of token depth towards the end... but I can't overlook Alison Brie, as she has a great role, with the main relationship and arc in the show providing tension that's palpable, she covers so much so well. She's a fucking powerhouse in this. She covers the gamut of emotions, makes me laugh, makes me blade myself in sadness, but remains believable.

I dig Maron's character and think he got some depth towards the end, but a lot of the initial writing was pastiche (eg. The anti feminist slant of his initial draft)

I see where you're coming from though, and see series 1 as a setup series. It's hard to write a load of depth into one series. I expect more exploration going forward as some of the ladies were a shade more than archetypes through necessity. Sydelle Noelle really, really impressed me, and think she shone in series 1. If it's even a mild continuation of the first series it's going to be special!

Betty Gilpin is doing a slow burn heel turn

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: New Jack on June 22, 2018, 03:27:03 PM
Just needs a New Jack cameo, right people??... People?

I don't want to see Alison Brie get stabbed.

This was out yesterday, just binge-watched it and it was fine. Kind of just more of the same but a bit less novel

Sin Agog

Something about Maron's acting feels more...handsy this season, and his constant grouchy mien feels a bit more like an old, kvetchy Jew always on the verge of throwing his hands up to Jehovah and yelling 'Oy!' though he's too self-aware to actually do it (interesting, because there was a line about his character being Sicilian).  It's a shame because I really do like him and didn't notice him acting at all in the first season in the best possible way.  Maybe all those questions about acting to Martin Landau and the like on the pod made him more self-conscious?

All the girls are doing great, however, with Kia Stevens (the actual wrestler) my MVP.

up_the_hampipe

On episode 6 now. Debbie is especially vile this season, but Gilpin is a great actress.

Bhazor

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bhazor on June 30, 2018, 10:34:09 PM
Tits, when?

Any time on the internet, just google "tits", make sure safesearch is off and go to images.

Sin Agog

Up to Episode 8, where they just show nothing but woozy in-character skits- this had to've been inspired by that similar ep in the first season of Atlanta, right?

I guess Maron's acting has improved as it went on, by the way.  Still doesn't know what to do with his hands.  Brie is great. 

Gulftastic

Finished it, and loved it. Brie really is terrific. An Emmy nod must follow, surely.

Z

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 01, 2018, 01:09:39 AM
Up to Episode 8, where they just show nothing but woozy in-character skits- this had to've been inspired by that similar ep in the first season of Atlanta, right?
It's meant to be a full episode (or close to it) of the show within the show, isn't it?

I'd say the influence was more the need for a filler episode than anything else.

New Jack

Bash, eh, what a numpty.

An in-the-closet numpty, running away from himself, trying to appear grown up and capable. It'll all come crashing down and hurt inside, brother!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Speaking of Bash, the plotline with Florian's death seemed undercooked. I assumed it was going to lead to Bash screwing up his sales pitch to the new channels, but we never really saw that did we? I guess it provided his motivation for marrying Britannica, but that didn't feel all that big a deal to me (aside from making Carmen sad, which made me sad).

I guess that's a criticism that could be levelled at the whole show. The breezy tone and pace do tend to undercut the drama, with plots like Ruth's #MeToo encounter and Welfare Queen and Beirut's shame at playing racist caricatures and being brushed off a little too glibly. While Sam and Justine's growing bond was heartwarming, but a little pat perhaps ("You're in A.V. club? I was in A.V. club. I love you now!")

All the same, it was a lovely series overall. The title 'Glow' is very appropriate, as that's how the show feels - warm and pleasant. You really get a feel for how much they all love working together on the show (within the show), as ridiculous as it may be.

Mini

I've not finished season 2 yet but felt compelled to say how much I enjoyed episode 8, which (almost) all takes place in the show within the show.

Also to say how good Kate Nash is at all of this apart from the singing. Huh.

New Jack

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 02, 2018, 05:58:17 PM
Speaking of Bash, the plotline with Florian's death seemed undercooked. I assumed it was going to lead to Bash screwing up his sales pitch to the new channels,

I think like a few developments near the end its just to push for season 3.

I did also expect an immediate reaction..and I suppose we got it, just a bit off from what we thought we saw.

I actually thought he'd try to fuck Liberty Belle. The cynical part of me sees that as evidence he's gay. I know this sounds a bit caveman, but in series 1 I was wondering why he tried nothing on with these wonderful gorgeous women coked up in his mansion!

Ja'moke

Finished this the other night. I felt it was better than Season 1, which I enjoyed a lot. It felt more confident, stronger performances across the board, and the storylines more engaging - even if a couple of things felt a little rushed towards the end. It's just a really fun, likable show.

wooders1978

Just finished season 2 - I really like this show - I think they summed it up best when they said it's got something for everybody -  Brie is just wonderful in it, but all round the performances are great

Utter Shit

The as-live episode of the in-show show in season 2 s one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Everything is right on the money, it's perfectly done.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 29, 2018, 08:51:21 PM
The as-live episode of the in-show show in season 2 s one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Everything is right on the money, it's perfectly done.

Yes, indeed. Best TV of the year, aside from Atlanta maybe.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on July 19, 2017, 10:53:17 AM
I watched the first four episodes (based on this thread).  I kept expecting something to happen that would make me understand what the point was.  It didn't so I gave up.

I looked at the trailer and thought nah, not for me. Modern shite looking like retro-shite.

Twed

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2018, 08:54:32 PM
I looked at the trailer and thought nah, not for me. Modern shite looking like retro-shite.
It's a bit like that but it's not really bad.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 29, 2018, 08:53:59 PM
Yes, indeed. Best TV of the year, aside from Atlanta maybe.

Will be hard for any show to top the Teddy Perkins episode of Atlanta this year, for me.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2018, 08:54:32 PM

Exactly. Just like The Deuce, Vinyl and countless other recent series.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on July 29, 2018, 11:04:20 PM
It's a bit like that but it's not really bad.

OK, I'm watching the terror now but will give Glow an episode to warm my spandex cockles.